Inside the Husqvarna 543xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, my 238se and 242xp want to know: how does new compare to old?
Only 242 I have here is toasted. I have a real interest in knowing but time isn't always on my side for such things. A build thread, tear down, video edit and mods are already incredibly time consuming. Wish I could do more but have to pick my battles.

After a week, this is where I sit. Does the saw perform after break in, yes. It is smooth, fuel efficient and nimble. We have to keep in mind that it is 43cc.

What I can't get past is the price point. There are sooooo many saws that perform similar for less money. Maybe not after mods but that adds more $$$. So, will it replace my loved 435, hell yes. Is it for every one, hell no.

Curious what in particular make you think so? I realize it does not have Autotune, but other than that what do you find inferior?

Where to start... The 241cm offers a stainless muffler, spring AV, better chain tensioner, better airfilter, better on/off/choke lever, no over complicated "EZ" start system, better fit and finish, inboard clutch (unless you're a troll it's a good thing), Has a recoil housing/model tag that doesn't look like it came out of a model car kit, runs like a raped ape right out of the box. Aside from actual features, some other pluses would be it is actually produced in-house by the parent company, doesnt look like an echo, overall a higher quality "feel" to the saw. The 543 is not junk though...it does have a nice aluminum handlebar.

I'm sure this will cause some ruffled feathers, but, it's what I have found comparing the two.

-AJ

EDIT: Just to be clear, I wasnt trying to turn this into a 543xp vs 241cm debate, just putting the info out there. However, if somebody is considering the 543 and reading this, they may as well know about the 241 and it's claim to fame.

Thanks for the pictures! So much of it is very familiar having taken apart several GZ4000s, but some of it is quite different. That offset exhaust is strange. And I'd rather have a separate air valve. And springs in the A/V. And the oil tank in the handle. Oh well.

I was thinking this saw is very similar to the 45 cc Earthquake and Chinese saws..

All the AV points (literally the same A/V points and style?), carb mount, air filter and air filter cover, choke pull lever, etc, it's strikingly similar. So much it's scary. Granted the Cylinder is different (quad port over open port), but not much else.

I was thinking this saw is very similar to the 45 cc Earthquake and Chinese saws..

All the AV points (literally the same A/V points and style?), carb mount, air filter and air filter cover, choke pull lever, etc, it's strikingly similar. So much it's scary. Granted the Cylinder is different (quad port over open port), but not much else.
That would be logical as this is a zenoah saw, and the others you mention are Chinese copies (licenced or otherwise) of earlier zenoah saws.

No comparison...at all.

The quality of fit and finish is sadly, better than some Husky saws. Cylinder casting, coating and piston are top notch. Case is solid and well thought out. Really the only problem I have with this saw is the price point. Air injection makes up for the mesh.

All in all, I can't knock the saw. It should just cost $390 like the comparable saws.

Tacoma run other brands you'll cry moan and shake because well just run other brands when you do and I don't mean make a cut on a Saw horse. ..

Where to start... The 241cm offers a stainless muffler, spring AV, better chain tensioner, better airfilter, better on/off/choke lever, no over complicated "EZ" start system, better fit and finish, inboard clutch (unless you're a troll it's a good thing), Has a recoil housing/model tag that doesn't look like it came out of a model car kit, runs like a raped ape right out of the box. Aside from actual features, some other pluses would be it is actually produced in-house by the parent company, doesnt look like an echo, overall a higher quality "feel" to the saw. The 543 is not junk though...it does have a nice aluminum handlebar.

I'm sure this will cause some ruffled feathers, but, it's what I have found comparing the two.

-AJ

EDIT: Just to be clear, I wasnt trying to turn this into a 543xp vs 241cm debate, just putting the info out there. However, if somebody is considering the 543 and reading this, they may as well know about the 241 and it's claim to fame.
Better fit and finish???

You sure about that one?

Oh, that, and.......
I smell a build off...
The Stihl will suck wind as usual...
Sorry, but that's how it usually plays out... Zenoah designs traditionally haul ass...

Tacoma run other brands you'll cry moan and shake because well just run other brands when you do and I don't mean make a cut on a Saw horse. ..

I have and do run other brands. I used to be a Stihl only guy but I now have quite a few other brand saws and I have used a lot of different stuff. And not just cutting cookies. I will be the first to admit, and you will find this in other posts I have made, a few tenths of a second don't worry me. Overall design, user friendliness and the saw as a complete package are what I care about. The saw as a whole needs to be in tune. Bar/chain combos that compliment the power delivery of the saw and balance it correctly, proper handlebar placement and shape, and overall layout. I'm really not biased by any stretch of the imagination. There was a time however.

That offset exhaust is strange. And I'd rather have a separate air valve.
....I duhno man, I'm not thrilled with all these "Rube Goldberg" contraptions ("clusterfornicate") for the strato/air valves.
Too many leaky spots (slip fitted tubing) and slowly rot.
Bit and fiddles that wear and add to high likelihood of obsolete/NLA pieces
Plus all the extra springs don't do a thing for my carpal tunnel either.
To me at least, the split tract just seems like a whole lot better arraignment from a maintenance and reliability standpoint.

I wonder if you get the classic sound of the back barrels opening when you goose it, similar to a Quadrajet or Carter AFB??? Seems that's almost where it's going.

....I duhno man, I'm not thrilled with all these "Rube Goldberg" contraptions ("clusterfornicate") for the strato/air valves.
To me at least, the split tract just seems like a whole lot better arraignment from a maintenance and reliability standpoint.

I do get it as I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principle and love old Macs and such. I will also say that I miss my old '72 Chevelle and how easy it was to work on. Having said that, I love the vehicles that my wife and I have now that generally DON'T need to be worked on and are much better from a livability stand-point. I will have another Chevelle, but it won't be a daily driver.

I keep thinking of that when I look at the strato valves.
Waiting to see someone hang a larger venturi carb in its place.
Some sorta pipe saw with "hittin the four barrel" sound?

All it needs to be is an additional throttle plate and simple linkage. The air valves used in the GZ4000's work fine but seem more elaborate and complicated than they needed to be. The advantages of a separate air valve are:
1. Because the valve does not open at the same time as the carb throttle, you can effectively have different port timing at idle and at WOT.
2. With the new split throttle carbs when it is not at WOT the separation between the air and fuel mix paths is incomplete, so you will get some fuel into the air inlets. Not a big deal.

The split bore carbs are obviously simpler and cheaper.

Latest posts

Back