Inside the Husqvarna 543xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where to start... The 241cm offers a stainless muffler, spring AV, better chain tensioner, better airfilter, better on/off/choke lever, no over complicated "EZ" start system, better fit and finish, inboard clutch (unless you're a troll it's a good thing), Has a recoil housing/model tag that doesn't look like it came out of a model car kit, runs like a raped ape right out of the box. Aside from actual features, some other pluses would be it is actually produced in-house by the parent company, doesnt look like an echo, overall a higher quality "feel" to the saw. The 543 is not junk though...it does have a nice aluminum handlebar.

I'm sure this will cause some ruffled feathers, but, it's what I have found comparing the two.

-AJ

EDIT: Just to be clear, I wasnt trying to turn this into a 543xp vs 241cm debate, just putting the info out there. However, if somebody is considering the 543 and reading this, they may as well know about the 241 and it's claim to fame.
The air filter design is almost identical to the one in my Earthquake G3800 clone and in my Ryobi 10532/GZ400 after I removed the partition that blocked it (must have been some sort of patent issue before Husky bought them) - it works very well. So does the similar chain tensioner on my GZ4000. Control levers are a matter of preference - I hate the combined designs I've used and much prefer simple, separate controls like these. As for fit and finish - Zenoah castings are as good as they come, and the plastic parts have always been well made on the one's I've seen.

...Does the saw perform after break in, yes. It is smooth, fuel efficient and nimble. We have to keep in mind that it is 43cc.

What I can't get past is the price point...
Thanks much for the useful thread. IMHO, the price would be justified if the saw turns out to be relatively bulletproof during the course of its service life in professional use. As far as the "ez-start", if it results in less wear & tear on the shoulder at the end of the day, that's fine with me. Again, thanks for the thread.

As long as the muffler opening is not blocking the exhaust exit, it shouldn't be an issue. I don't know why they wouldn't make it to match though.
It looks like it's just a jog in the outlet port, which should not be a problem if it has enough flow - I can't really see it well. It would be a PITA for porting, but that of course was not a design consideration. I assume they just needed to re-position the muffler to one side for packaging reasons.

"Um, boss...the clamshell design won't fit a normal cylinder so I had to redesign the exhaust port on the jug."
It's not a clamshell though.

The 372xp has basically the same exhaust angle/path.

Well, the clean air injection and the filter look good.

Not 400 and hoop jumping good though. Plastic poulans for ten bucks and hoop jumping FTW

I doubt they're expecting to really sell that many of these. Seems like a fairly niche market for pros and Husky afficianados

I could see he appeal, but $50-100 less would make it a lot more tempting. Hell I visited my Dad today and we went to hold the T540xp at a local equipment store... For all of the canopy disassembley we do, it makes a lot more sense to me (right now) than buying a 550xp (though I will have one eventually). Plus I still intend to get a harness, flipline and gaffs to be able to do some climbing on my own, which it was designed for. I love big saws, but the practicality/handiness of the small saws is hard to deny after the bluster of testosterone subsides.

I could see he appeal, but $50-100 less would make it a lot more tempting. Hell I visited my Dad today and we went to hold the T540xp at a local equipment store... For all of the canopy disassembley we do, it makes a lot more sense to me (right now) than buying a 550xp (though I will have one eventually). Plus I still intend to get a harness, flipline and gaffs to be able to do some climbing on my own, which it was designed for. I love big saws, but the practicality/handiness of the small saws is hard to deny after the bluster of testosterone subsides.
"I love big saws, but the practicality/handiness of the small saws is hard to deny after the bluster of testosterone subsides."

Worth repeating bubba! That right there is one of the best quotes I've seen. Truth be told! :D

Latest posts

Back