Inside the Husqvarna 543xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I purchased this saw a little over a month ago, for mostly carving and the occasional light tree clearing. I ran it for 8 hours out at the farm clearing bush, and it never ran properly, didn't idle, and kept bogging out, syalling. Next, I ran it in my garage, carving a stump. It died on me, and spent Afew hours trying to get it going again. Dropped it off at my local husky shop where I bought it, and a week later found out that it had a bad coil and there is something really wrong with the compression.
For this being my first saw - and an "xp" for that matter, I am not happy. I should have done more research before buying this. Anyways, I think I'm gonna just tell the dealer to keep it and let me trade up to a 550.
So it crapped out on me after about 16 hrs and 4 tanks of gas.
I understand it still needs to be broken in, but I am just seeing nothing but red flags here.

About what has been said in the page before: HUSQVARNA 543 was built on a old case- Zenoah g415.

It's not a bad little saw when used for what it's designed for... and I'll definitely agree this saw is the worst saw I've ever ran out of the box after 25 tanks or so you'd swear it's a different one I wish I'd done timed cuts from the first tank to the 25th... I like it...

So I purchased this saw a little over a month ago, for mostly carving and the occasional light tree clearing. I ran it for 8 hours out at the farm clearing bush, and it never ran properly, didn't idle, and kept bogging out, syalling. Next, I ran it in my garage, carving a stump. It died on me, and spent Afew hours trying to get it going again. Dropped it off at my local husky shop where I bought it, and a week later found out that it had a bad coil and there is something really wrong with the compression.
For this being my first saw - and an "xp" for that matter, I am not happy. I should have done more research before buying this. Anyways, I think I'm gonna just tell the dealer to keep it and let me trade up to a 550.
I understand it still needs to be broken in, but I am just seeing nothing but red flags here.

New saw, bought at a dealers and you spend 8 hours with it not idling, stalling and bogging. Then into the garage to carve a stump before spending a couple of hours messing with it trying to get it to run.

I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed with the saw but there's no excusing the fact that you abused it by using it for many hours despite a clear problem with its operation. It may have had a fault, as any saw from any manufacturer could have, but you should have stopped using it and brought it back. The blame for ignoring a problem is 100% yours.

Not idling, stalling and bogging.... All sound like lean fuel mix and if you leaned out the carb you could well have roasted the piston. You should have stopped and brought it to your dealer. It's your first saw and an expensive XP at that and only a month old. Madness.

New saw, bought at a dealers and you spend 8 hours with it not idling, stalling and bogging. Then into the garage to carve a stump before spending a couple of hours messing with it trying to get it to run.

I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed with the saw but there's no excusing the fact that you abused it by using it for many hours despite a clear problem with its operation. It may have had a fault, as any saw from any manufacturer could have, but you should have stopped using it and brought it back. The blame for ignoring a problem is 100% yours.

Not idling, stalling and bogging.... All sound like lean fuel mix and if you leaned out the carb you could well have roasted the piston. You should have stopped and brought it to your dealer. It's your first saw and an expensive XP at that and only a month old. Madness.

Yes I'm fairly new to chainsaws. But how would this be my fault if I left the saw at the dealer for the morning to get a proper setup and check it over before I ran I at all? From everything I read about this, I was assuming that it needed Afew tanks of gas for it to wake up. I was going to return to the dealer the next day to get the saw looked at, and it died. I am not wreckless with my possessions, and I read through the manual numerous times over te course of the few weeks I actually got to use my saw. Perhaps just lack I experience. Doesn't change the experience I've had. Also contacted the dealer all throughout this ordeal for advice.

Hi again, and I should also say, welcome to Arboristsite!

You mentioned that you should have done more research. Well, the fact is it's a good saw, but no saw is operator proof or technician proof. People make mistakes and sometimes things just go wrong. I am sorry to hear you're not having a good experience with the saw, but it's premature to think it's the saw model that's responsible.

Think of it this way. If you brought your car for an oil change and later that day the low oil pressure light came on, you wouldn't keep driving it on the basis you'd had the oil changed that morning, would you? You'd stop and check the oil level. You'd investigate. If the oil level was good, you'd suspect the pressure switch or the pump. You'd consider that something wasn't right and you probably wouldn't want to risk your engine and keep driving for a few hours.

The saw's the same. Maybe it is lack of experience. There's no fault in that of course. Where I say the blame is yours is in not stopping when something was obviously not right and asking the dealer (a quick phonecall) for their advice. It's very unlikely they would have told you to carry on, because they too would know something can go wrong or may have been overlooked.

I'm sorry for your troubles and I hope your dealer can work with you to get you back to work. Best of luck!

Hi again, and I should also say, welcome to Arboristsite!

You mentioned that you should have done more research. Well, the fact is it's a good saw, but no saw is operator proof or technician proof. People make mistakes and sometimes things just go wrong. I am sorry to hear you're not having a good experience with the saw, but it's premature to think it's the saw model that's responsible.

Think of it this way. If you brought your car for an oil change and later that day the low oil pressure light came on, you wouldn't keep driving it on the basis you'd had the oil changed that morning, would you? You'd stop and check the oil level. You'd investigate. If the oil level was good, you'd suspect the pressure switch or the pump. You'd consider that something wasn't right and you probably wouldn't want to risk your engine and keep driving for a few hours.

The saw's the same. Maybe it is lack of experience. There's no fault in that of course. Where I say the blame is yours is in not stopping when something was obviously not right and asking the dealer (a quick phonecall) for their advice. It's very unlikely they would have told you to carry on, because they too would know something can go wrong or may have been overlooked.

I'm sorry for your troubles and I hope your dealer can work with you to get you back to work. Best of luck!

Thanks for the welcome. Much appreciated.

Yeah you're probably right, I just got real worked up reading about how these "aren't a real husky design" and didn't like the whole bit of the exhaust, coupled with the fact that I'm out a saw now for a week and a half. I just got pretty frustrated. Lucky for warranties. Also, I ran nothing but the husky fuel... Does anyone have any issues with the husky premixed stuff? I'm assuming it's much cheaper to mix yourself, I just wanna do everything i can to keep warranty intact... Until I learn how to fix these stupid things myself

What Arctic was referring to was your original satatement - that after 8 hours of running poorly instead of taking it to the dealer, you tried to run it in your garage carving for a handful of hours. That makes no sens t any of us. If it was malfunctioning, you should have stopped then and there and returned it to the dealer. In your subsequent post you got Mad when Arctic said that you bear some of the responsibility here. You pointed out that this was your first saw, w/o any reference to prior saw experience. This begs two follow-on questions: 1 How are you carving with a saw w//o knowing how to properly operate a saw and how are you so mad about this when you're partially culpable for this? Are you familiar with any of the Zenoah designed saws? They have some wonderful designs and there was a reason that Husqvarna bought them out, beyond Strato technology.

Yeah you're probably right, I just got real worked up reading about how these "aren't a real husky design" and didn't like the whole bit of the exhaust, coupled with the fact that I'm out a saw now for a week and a half. I just got pretty frustrated. Lucky for warranties. Also, I ran nothing but the husky fuel... Does anyone have any issues with the husky premixed stuff? I'm assuming it's much cheaper to mix yourself, I just wanna do everything i can to keep warranty intact... Until I learn how to fix these stupid things myself

If there was something wrong with the saw internally, or the mixture was off it should have been caught by the dealer on the initial run prior to handing it to you, but it doesn't always work that way. You should always try to give the dealer a chance to make it right though whe you encounter a significant problem. I have a 562xp that I like VERY much but it req'd a trip to a dealer in TN to warranty problem from the factory as the purchase dealer didn't know how to work on them and in the process of moving I lost my receipt which the other dealer wanted before they'd touch it. It took about 4-6 months for the problem to really show up and there was nothing I could do to fix it (other than spend a good bit of $$$ throwing parts at it). Needless to say, it runs VERY angrily now and it's not going anywhere.

I'm not trying to make you mad or be gruff with you but you pointed out your lack of experience in the first two sentences of your first post. Arctic and I are simply trying to provide you sound advice and perspective for the future.
Take care.

I'm more upset with myself, than anything, because in perspective, negligence is Definately the operators fault. And due to my inexperience and ignorance I guess, I just thought that the saw needed to be broken in more, as from some farmers bad advice... I was told that "I shouldn't be worried if it does not idle correctly, because it's a new saw and still needs to be broken in. And chainsaws never idle properly anyways." Now I know how rediculious this sounds. But because I trusted that the saw set up correctly, I didn't give it another thought. If husky decides that this will not be covered under warranty then this will not only be an expensive lesson on the wallet. I'll feel like an even bigger idiot.

Not and idiot by any means, just green. Yes the saw should idle perfectly when new. It should work fine though all phases of the rpm band. It will be tight and will be reluctant (compared to a well broken-in example of the same) to accelerate, but this is normal with a tight jug and ring(s). Some saws take a long time to break in and others not so much. My MS 261 took about 12 tanks to fully break in and run right. My 562 took about 8 (and a warranty repair) to do so. My 9010 that Mastermind rebuilt for me is still braking in but I only have about 3-4 tanks through it. As long as it starts easily, idles fine and runs out well, you're on the right track. If any of these things are not the case, then you have a problem and need to start addressing it rather than continuing to run it, possibly causing (further) damage to the saw.

This is why I joined this forum, to learn. Thanks abunch.
The dealer said it had a scored piston... Is that from running too learn like what arctic had mentioned earlier?

Yes. A scored piston is the result of the saw running lean (unless you had no air filter and shavings got in the bore which is almost impossible). The canned fuel (which could be bad, but highly doubtful) was likely not the cause. Either it wasn't adjusted correctly from the start or more likely it had an air leak at the carb boot or the casing which was allowing more more air to come in than the fuel could account for. He will have to tear it down and see what he finds but I can't see how it wouldn't be a warranty claim, unless the factory doesn't want to invest the $$$ in that saw. In that case you should get another new unit or an equivalent money allowance towards a different saw.

I've played with a Snellerized 241 and it's a mean little saw. You can find it's limits easily if you're used to using a torquey 50cc or 60cc saw, but it handles quite well and and rips.
I'd like to try a broken-in 543xp and/or a ported example just for tickles.

I don't know why... possibly CAD... But I have been suppressing the desire to add a sub-45cc pro-grade saw to my meager collection... I have a couple of old non-pro saws in that size range, but I only use them occasionally because I feel like I need to in order to justify their presence in the garage! LOL!

Been reading this thread on the 543... It has been pretty informative.. But I might be leaning toward the Dolly 421....

Carry on gents.. and thanks for taking the time to post up in this new little XP. :)

Would there be any interest if I did a side by side comparison of a 1998 model 242XPG (no Cat)and a 2014 543XPG? I'll have time in a couple of weeks to spend a few hours doing so. Maybe in a new thread? The 242 is the saw many hoped the 543 would finally replace so a side by side may be an interesting exercise.

Back