Inside the Husqvarna 543xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would there be any interest if I did a side by side comparison of a 1998 model 242XPG (no Cat)and a 2014 543XPG? I'll have time in a couple of weeks to spend a few hours doing so. Maybe in a new thread? The 242 is the saw many hoped the 543 would finally replace so a side by side may be an interesting exercise.
Actually yes, once you have good running 543 that's broken in. Anything less would be a disservice to the comparison.

I know this is an OLD thread, so forgive me for bumping it, but seeing as how this saw is still in production means there might still be relevance here for prospective buyers.

I bought one of these about a 12-18 months ago. My used 350 died and 346's in this region are like unicorns. I had already purchased a 562 and needed something lightweight and good for small stuff (mostly tan oak/doug fir, some madrone, the occasional live oak).

As others have said, if you take this saw for what it is, it's a pretty nice machine. If you are trying to compare it to other saws, it's not going to measure up. It also largely depends on what you are doing with it. We work in dense forest, mostly, meaning lots of slash-cutting trees out of canopies. I've pushed this little saw to its limits slashing 5-7" tan oak, often having to make a slight cut at the base of the slash to ensure no barber-chairing or peeling, as the saw often cannot make it through the cut before the tree comes loose otherwise. While not essential (not timber) it's mostly for my own safety and peace of mind. As far as using it for falling small trees with face-cuts, I've had no problems keeping up with the cut in 12-16" hardwood, and upwards of 18" soft-wood. Keep in mind, these were even-weight trees with little to no lean. I would not trust this saw up against any kind of head-leaner or more difficult situation.

While I prefer the 16" bar for balance and motor efficiency, I have also pushed this saw with a 20" bar, working on a second chain now after taking the cutters all the way down to the line, full comp/semi-chisel.

It took about 20 hours to really break in. At first I was thoroughly disappointed with this saw aside from the light-weight aspect. Once I stopped comparing it to the 350/346 and learned to not push it like it was one, things changed for the better.

I still DO NOT like the mesh air filter. It gets too dirty too quickly compared to a fiber-filter. I work largely in wet conditions and during the rainy season, so gas-baths aren't always an option during lunch on a cloudy or drizzly day. This is one area Husqy needs to improve. The only other real issue that I've found with it, and this is likely exclusive to mine, as my dealer hasn't had anyone else make this complaint, is that the case clogs up with chips around the slot near the brake-ring. I've had to repeatedly take a crescent wrench and pry the flap back because it seems to get forced down and cover the hole enough to cause a back up. A couple times this has happened IMMEDIATELY after cleaning the clutch-case thoroughly.

My advice to gain full appreciation for this saw is 1) religiously clean the air filter, moreso than other saws I've used, 2) religiously clean and inspect the clutch cover, 3) don't expect it to be something it's not (or modify it to make it what you do want.)

My only other issue with this saw was the price. Way too expensive for what you get, especially compared to the 550, but then again, they are not meant to be the same saw. These saws haven't sold like hotcakes, so my dealer gave me a break on the price, but even then the cost:benefit ratio is steep. Either Husqy should drop the price $50-100, or find a way to add a twinge more power to the motor and provide a more durable/hardy air filter. The other disappointment was the lack of a dog. I often find myself having to pay attention to not sticking the case up against the wood, as this also impedes the chip-flow from the tiny exit at the front of the case.

I'm giving strong consideration to paying for some adjustments to this saw, but as I've just acquired a second 562 (half-wrap, single dog, 20" 3/8 bar) to replace the 543 as my main saw (the other 562 is a falling-saw, full wrap, 24" and 28" when rarely needed), I can't justify it yet, though possibly over the summer when the 543 will be stowed away. Mweba has certainly re-piqued my interest in going that route.

TL;dr

Don't judge this saw without trying it post-break-in and don't expect it to be similar to its predecessors. You might actually be relatively pleased with this saw.

Cheers

I'm late here too but...here goes nothin'.
I worked for Electrolux Motor long before they acquired Zenoah/Redmax.
In all that time I never heard the MD, Hans Beckman, or ANY of the engineers at Huskvarna, dis the manufacturing quality of Shindaiwa, Komatsu or Echo chainsaws.
They did indeed complain that they were essentially copies of Husqvarna's two-mass concept.
The also said they were too heavy for their power output, and...that the engines took too long to run in.

So personally, I have no problem with a Husqvarna pro saw being made in Japan (apart from the apparent price premium).
In a way it's poetic justice.
1. Zenoah exploits Husqvarna design concept.
2. Husqvarna aquires Zenoah.
3. Husqvarna exploits Zenoah's manufacturing capability.

It's actually the other way around for your first statement because Husqvarna acquired zenoah for it Strato charge cylinder patents. It has been beneficial for both, it even benefited stihl to a small amount because got a contract to use the designs from Husqvarna until they improved their own designs. They should knock 150 off the price tag for both the 543xp and zenoah gz4350 or just drop it from the Husqvarna lineup and leave it strictly to zenoahs lineup.

My last new huskys a 385xp & 575 took cutting 20 cords of wood to break in. They were what did I buy when I first ran them compared to my old new huskys. My ancient 240sg in the 70’s was a screamer. I say that cylinder is screaming to be ported.. that video didn’t look that bad for a 43cc saw, put a 7 tooth rim if it has a sprocket. Pro sharpen the chain, file the gullet.

It's actually the other way around for your first statement because Husqvarna acquired zenoah for it Strato charge cylinder patents. It has been beneficial for both, it even benefited stihl to a small amount because got a contract to use the designs from Husqvarna until they improved their own designs. They should knock 150 off the price tag for both the 543xp and zenoah gz4350 or just drop it from the Husqvarna lineup and leave it strictly to zenoahs lineup.

Fair comment . Perhaps I should combine points 2 & 3 thus.
2. Husqvarna acquires Zenoah in order to exploit both its stratified charge patents and manufacturing capability . ☺

I wash the mesh filter to get the bar oil off of it if I don’t the wood dust/ chips cling to it faster.

I guess Husqvarna can’t keep up with the supply and demand on the manufacturing end, as long as the saws are made to husky specs I’m good with that.

I wash the mesh filter to get the bar oil off of it if I don’t the wood dust/ chips cling to it faster.

I guess Husqvarna can’t keep up with the supply and demand on the manufacturing end, as long as the saws are made to husky specs I’m good with that.

These saws are made to zenoahs specifications and owning more than a few saws made by them and using their other o.. P.. E.. They have very high standards, they also make top of the line RC airplane and car engines.

If one ever has to replace the air filter on a 543xp you can go to Home depot and pick up one that fits their ryobi 3714 & 16 saws and it will fit a 543xp because they are the same design but It's less than half the cost.

These saws are made to zenoahs specifications and owning more than a few saws made by them and using their other o.. P.. E.. They have very high standards, they also make top of the line RC airplane and car engines.

If one ever has to replace the air filter on a 543xp you can go to Home depot and pick up one that fits their ryobi 3714 & 16 saws and it will fit a 543xp because they are the same design but It's less than half the cost.

Really! The only non-husky saw I have is a Techtronics/Homelite Zenoah 3800 copy. If it has the same airfilter as a 543, it means it has at least one Husqvarna component. :cool:

Techtronic was selling ryobi labeled zenoah gz400s and other saws took some their designs when Husqvarna bought zenoah. The filter for the ryobi has two knockouts for the air valve on the gz400 which is different than the 543xp.

Well what would you call it? It may be few. But few is not zero. I'm yet to hear of or see a 543 with any break downs. Not that I don't love the 550 and 562 I just love the 543 for different reasons that's all.
I’m working at a 543xp for a buddy. It’s crapped out just off the warranty. Worked fine in the warm temps, but terrible in the cold. Ruled out the air and fuel filters. New spark plug. The air “vent” is in the correct position for winter, and just recently put on a new carburetor. Still not working. Anyone have any issues with the ignition coil?

Just got mine in the mail today $420 pho shipped, the Redmax can be had for $349 shipped with 16” bar and chain. What is a 241 going for now?

Latest posts

Back