Interesting log hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fine in those perfect conditions, but on my rough ground, I'd need the wheels to be three times that diameter. Those dinky little rollers would get stuck in every hole, bang up against every lump!

My local outdoor museum has an implement based on the same principle, several hundreds of years old and the wheels are over 6 feet in diameter... That would do me!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 20.05.51.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 20.05.51.png
    133.7 KB · Views: 27
Log arches like that have been around for a long time, along with the following wheels. Several companies make them.

If I owned an ATV, or small tractor, and had the need to move whole logs, it would definitely be something that I looked into.

Philbert

I always marvel at how perfect the logs/rounds look when I watch a demo video. Most of what I process is gnarly and far less than perfect, where does this wood grow?
Log arches are generally used for logs that will be turned into lumber, which typically means the straighter, nicer logs.

I like how folks will recycle time tested stuff like its fabulous new tech...

Anyhow, not sure I'd want to stick a ton of log behind a 4wheeler and try going up... or especially down any hills, at least not with both ends on unbraked wheels... its scary enough in a skidder that is built for it, let alone an open cabbed ATV

Don't get me wrong a log arch is a dandy tool for moving logs, you just have to be smart with them... lifting both ends is inviting trouble, not having a way to drop the load in a hurry more so.

The old Cat arches all had swivel hitches, so that if the arch tipped over, it didn't take the cat with it, difference is that the cat usually had enough weight on its own to stop the logs once they started rolling away, or worse slamming into the back of it.

I like how folks will recycle time tested stuff like its fabulous new tech...

Anyhow, not sure I'd want to stick a ton of log behind a 4wheeler and try going up... or especially down any hills, at least not with both ends on unbraked wheels... its scary enough in a skidder that is built for it, let alone an open cabbed ATV

Don't get me wrong a log arch is a dandy tool for moving logs, you just have to be smart with them... lifting both ends is inviting trouble, not having a way to drop the load in a hurry more so.

The old Cat arches all had swivel hitches, so that if the arch tipped over, it didn't take the cat with it, difference is that the cat usually had enough weight on its own to stop the logs once they started rolling away, or worse slamming into the back of it.
Spoken like a true logger... in the commercial tree care forum... different industry, bro...

Back