Is 180psi compression normal for a 1999 Craftsman 40cc saw?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfour

Reaction score
I’ve recently gotten into fixing up old chainsaws that people were basically throwing away, and I had a buddy at work ask me to see if I could get his late dad’s old saw running. It’s a 1999 year model Craftsman 40cc 18” model number 358.350080.
The thing is in immaculate shape as it has apparently always been cleaned and kept in a case any time it wasn’t being used, but had obviously been well used based on the old worn out drive sprocket that came in the case with it. However, when I went to start it up after cleaning the carb and replacing fuel lines, the son of a ***** was hard as hell to pull. I pulled the plug to make sure it wasn’t some random one that was so long it was hitting the piston, and it was good. So then I put my compression tester on it. 180psi!!! Is this normal for this saw or did his dad have it modified? Everything I’ve read about reducing squish and increasing compression has made it seem like that high of compression is outrageously high. Here’s pics for proof.

Attachments

• 15A35DEC-382D-44FB-8DE0-D042D1975A1D.jpeg
    15A35DEC-382D-44FB-8DE0-D042D1975A1D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • 2216D05A-3D8C-48AA-91D7-691A9C4C8238.jpeg
    2216D05A-3D8C-48AA-91D7-691A9C4C8238.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
I’ve recently gotten into fixing up old chainsaws that people were basically throwing away, and I had a buddy at work ask me to see if I could get his late dad’s old saw running. It’s a 1999 year model Craftsman 40cc 18” model number 358.350080.
The thing is in immaculate shape as it has apparently always been cleaned and kept in a case any time it wasn’t being used, but had obviously been well used based on the old worn out drive sprocket that came in the case with it. However, when I went to start it up after cleaning the carb and replacing fuel lines, the son of a ***** was hard as hell to pull. I pulled the plug to make sure it wasn’t some random one that was so long it was hitting the piston, and it was good. So then I put my compression tester on it. 180psi!!! Is this normal for this saw or did his dad have it modified? Everything I’ve read about reducing squish and increasing compression has made it seem like that high of compression is outrageously high. Here’s pics for proof.
By the way, I don’t know why the sticker on the starter rope housing says 40cc but the EPA sticker says 42cc.

I had one of those that said 40cc and 42 on the sticker. Little green one with no AV. I didn't check the compression but it seemed like it had quite a bit from starting it. I got it for cheap and put a fuel line and cleaned the carb. It ran good but it vibrated to much for my arthritic wrists, so I sent it down the road.

I would venture to say that gauge is fibbing ya a bit..... Need a small engine compression gauge with short hose and low pressure schrader valves.

Them older Craftsman, Poulan and the 36, 41, 136, 141 Husqvarna engines are damn near same setup. Single ring, open transfers and so on. Low performance for the typical homeowner needs. Cheap mass production destine to fail or just wear out.

I'm not putting them down or anything just is what it is. I have rebuilt close to 12 of them little Husky model saws cuz parts are cheap and available. Then give or loan them to friends/family for the small jobs they have the need for a small-light saw.

Here is the tester I got early this summer....very good results so far.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224135684974

I was given a little 2316 vintage 16-in Craftsman top-handle that was too hard a pull to start; NEVER wudda guessed, but key & shaft was good but PO had put together with key NOT in the flywheel SLOT (and pushbutton rod for oil pump was not in the pump, LOL). PULL your FLYWHEEL

Latest posts

Back