Is a $10k splitter worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello everyone,
New member here! I have been splitting wood with a 20 ton yard machine and a 25 ton county line for years. I am looking at purchasing a Built-Rite super 11 model. It’s one year used with 90 hours for $8800.
I’m wondering if there is justification in spending that kind of money for a splitter? I have 3 to 4 guys that help me split wood during our off-season and a Ditch Witch machine.
Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger. I’d have to sell 30 cords to break even.
If that video is what you're looking at buying, then yes, I would do it. 30 cords to pay it off?
So over two years time it'll easily be paid for and then it's profit. The way that can split 10 ways is a game changer. Conveyor belt is next.

Hello everyone,
New member here! I have been splitting wood with a 20 ton yard machine and a 25 ton county line for years. I am looking at purchasing a Built-Rite super 11 model. It’s one year used with 90 hours for $8800.
I’m wondering if there is justification in spending that kind of money for a splitter? I have 3 to 4 guys that help me split wood during our off-season and a Ditch Witch machine.
Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger. I’d have to sell 30 cords to break even.
and BTW, Kingston NY, MA, NH or Jamaica?

Ended up taking a day trip and buying the Built-Rite Super 11. Used it all day today and definitely a nice machine. It came with the 4 and 6 way. Wasn’t overly pumped about it with the 4 way, but once we started using the 6 way, I realized it’s worth. We do mostly 16+ Inch rounds. I think we will outgrow this machine, but it’s heading in the right direction. The guys took a liking to it and appreciated the log lift lol. I’m aiming to split and sell +\- 100 cords to start. It do this to keep my guys paying their bills in the winter, but I also see the potential to make a few bucks myself. During out down time and throughout the year.
I never cared fir a conveyor, but as we ramp up production I’m realizing the benefit of having one. Might be sooner than later. Haha.

I hope your auto return valve is adjusted better than the one in the video. It doesn’t impress me when a manufacturer lets something like that make it to an advertisement. Makes me wonder what else has slipped by.

Ended up taking a day trip and buying the Built-Rite Super 11. Used it all day today and definitely a nice machine. It came with the 4 and 6 way. Wasn’t overly pumped about it with the 4 way, but once we started using the 6 way, I realized it’s worth. We do mostly 16+ Inch rounds. I think we will outgrow this machine, but it’s heading in the right direction. The guys took a liking to it and appreciated the log lift lol. I’m aiming to split and sell +\- 100 cords to start. It do this to keep my guys paying their bills in the winter, but I also see the potential to make a few bucks myself. During out down time and throughout the year.
I never cared fir a conveyor, but as we ramp up production I’m realizing the benefit of having one. Might be sooner than later. Haha.
Congrats on the purchase, these commercial machines are bitchin. My kids love the log lift too, so do I since they can roll the logs onto it lol. A conveyor is nice I’m hoping to get one next, machine never has to move, and with that ditch witch u have you can move everything to the machine.

They are expensive, they look really nice. Eastonmade looks just as good, at a better price.

If Wolfe Ridge is more expensive than eastonmade, that's a reversal from what it used to be. I have a Wolfe Ridge and it's great, but the eastonmade looks a decent amount more refined.

If Wolfe Ridge is more expensive than eastonmade, that's a reversal from what it used to be. I have a Wolfe Ridge and it's great, but the eastonmade looks a decent amount more refined.
I believe you are correct on the pricing, eastonmade is more expensive.

but we likely make (lose) the same money doing firewood!

A conveyor is nice I’m hoping to get one next, machine never has to move,
The first one made me laugh.
The second quote is incorrect. And moving both the splitter and conveyor can take a bit of effort. Piling nine to ten feet high is about nine cord, and 18-20' wide.. Pull ahead five feet, and your adding to the side of the pile, adding four, maybe five cord before you top out. So you moving much sooner, unless you start a new pile from scratch.
I bought a used 28' Built-Rite belt conveyor. It's ten or twelve years old now, doing only 60-70 cord per year, and outside since new. It has been a pretty good machine, and Built-Rite has been very good when needed for advice or parts for the most part.
I did add hydraulic lift. Original Honda 160 GX.
I posted picks of it in another AS thread last night.

Conveyors are awesome, and greatly reduce the handling! But, you’ll have to move it around (as piles grow, clean etc). I also use mine to load a trailer either right off the processor/splitter, or to load truck/trailer wirh pre cut wood out of a pile, it’s easier to toss it onto the belt than up and over the sideboards of the trailer! I have a 16’, and can get about 3 cords under it before it’s gotta be moved.

Attachments

• 3D1511F8-4D96-4E12-ACFA-DCE8F89A6728.jpeg
    3D1511F8-4D96-4E12-ACFA-DCE8F89A6728.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 07C1E877-BE3C-4438-861B-A4BC5A0349F2.jpeg
    07C1E877-BE3C-4438-861B-A4BC5A0349F2.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 12
I have several conveyors so I don't have to move the processor. Processor conveyor has a swivel it dumps onto the 35' conveyor, the 35' conveyor is on wheels so I can make a pretty big half circle before I would have to move the processor. I can also move the stacks with my tractor if need be.

Latest posts

Back