Is it time for an Echo stickie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, time for my annual question about the 750 EVL. The ignition, if you can find an NOS one on EBAY runs $125. I'm not paying that kind of money for a vintage part, that was known to go bad when they were new. Just did my annual google search and came up with a post from AS back in 2010. Some one said they put a flywheel off a 601 on a 750 and converted it to points. Anyone know if that will work? I think I might have a junker 600 series point saw. I know I have a nice running 602, but I'm not going to kill that one to raise the 750 from the dead.

Thanks, Lee. I went on LRB's website and saw the coil and chip, but I couldn't find the price? If it will fit my 750 I'd go with it. I wouldn't have the doubts about a new part versus the old part that was known to be faulty. I have two 750's, one hardly has a scratch on the bar.

I thought I posted this question, but, I don't see it, so I may have stuck it in the wrong forum. I'm looking at ways to get my 750 EVL up and running. I found an old post from AS about 10 years ago. A guy said he took a flywheel off a 601 and converted the 750 back to points. Does any one know if that will work? May be the cheapest reliable way to get her going?

OK, time for my annual question about the 750 EVL. The ignition, if you can find an NOS one on EBAY runs $125. I'm not paying that kind of money for a vintage part, that was known to go bad when they were new. Just did my annual google search and came up with a post from AS back in 2010. Some one said they put a flywheel off a 601 on a 750 and converted it to points. Anyone know if that will work? I think I might have a junker 600 series point saw. I know I have a nice running 602, but I'm not going to kill that one to raise the 750 from the dead.
Sure hope your saw doesn’t need an ignition module every year, at that money you could have a new saw for125 a yr and no time to annually repair it.

The little 280E starts and runs for a good bit on a squirt of mix down the carb. It actually ran long enough I thought it was starting to pick up from the tank. No such luck. Tried to pull the fuel filter out and the line cracked and lost the filter in the tank. Next time I fiddle with it, I'll dump the tank and get the filter out.

Well guys,I posted a while back about this little gem - a John Deere 30 a.k.a.an Echo CS302.I got it for $20 from an estate sale my brother was handling.The pawls weren't catching,so I had to pull the recoil off & just lube the pawls.While in there I cleaned out decades of oil & sawdust from the recoil & cleaned the cylinder fins too.It just needed a carb adjustment to get it to idle.Nice running little saw.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 11
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 12
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 12
Well guys,I posted a while back about this little gem - a John Deere 30 a.k.a.an Echo CS302.I got it for $20 from an estate sale my brother was handling.The pawls weren't catching,so I had to pull the recoil off & just lube the pawls.While in there I cleaned out decades of oil & sawdust from the recoil & cleaned the cylinder fins too.It just needed a carb adjustment to get it to idle.Nice running little saw.
I like those little 300 series Echo's. I bought one new and used it for my climbing saw for 15 years or better. I think it is a 302. An antivibe mount broke at the back of the handle where my safety lanyard went. Put it on the shelf for several years, then I was getting a tune up kit for my Echo blower and checked, and they still had the piece that broke. Took it off the shelf and after setting for several years it started right up. Nice saws.

Well new to this area and have to read all the echo thread; however, i owned a shindaiwa 591 that blew recently and bought another 591 prior to finding out that it was blown. took the local dealer over a month to tell me that after a lot of procrastination - lie on the pro. just bought an echo 590 timberwolf - all have 20" bars. I like them more than any stihl or husqvarna i have ever owned or used.

My Dog breader called and said she had 2 handy guys take a Mulberry down that was leaning on the fence. They dropped the tree on the fence. I came over and cleaned it up, fixed the fence, then she told me they also broke her saw. It's a CS 400, awful new for me to play with. I choked it and on the first or second pull it fired right up, idled fine and revved up like a mad Hornet. Then it shut off. It'll start but wont keep running. The air filter is clean, going to pull the fuel filter and check the line, look at the plug. Any other advice? Any known problems with these saws, maybe ignition problems. When it ran, it sounded good and responded well. My guess is a fuel problem.

Update on the CS-400, I was able to clean up the cylinder and purchased an new OEM piston kit for $42. By the way, the cylinder is bare aluminum and the piston is plated. Put it back together and ran it for a few hours cleaning up some pine trees in from of our church and the saw seemed to run and cut just fine. I think I like my Husqvarna 345 better but the Echo is a good saw.

New request, does anyone know where I can get a splined clutch drum for an Echo 81? A friend of mine has acquired a saw in pretty good condition but he needs to replace the spur drum and would like to be able to just change the sprocket moving forward.

Mark

Back