Is it time for an Echo stickie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friend of mine picked this up for $60 at a yard sale along with a couple other late model craftsman saws. Runs but won’t stay idling so I let him borrow one of my cs400’s while I look into this one. Figure I’ll fix the craftsman’s and keep this one as payment that way he won’t ruin it. Dude doesn’t know much about saws he just cuts orchard wood to heat his shop. I’ll give this one a good home and it will be my first “vintage” Echo. Man these things are built solid. View attachment 874156View attachment 874157View attachment 874158View attachment 874159View attachment 874160
Wow! That’s a nice find. It appears to be in nice shape and unmolested. Even the screws look to be in good shape.
If you aren’t aware, just like Japanese motorcycles and cars those screws are not phillips, they are JIS or “Japanese Industrial Standard”. Unfortunately a lot of people don’t realize that and you’ll find a lot of butchered screws on Japanese products. You’re probably already aware of this but I thought I’d throw it out there.
You found a real survivor. It’s a real cutie.

If you aren’t aware of this you can pick up a set of JIS drivers on EBay pretty inexpensively. If you have other Japanese products they’ll save you a lot of grief and keep your screws looking nice.

Wow! That’s a nice find. It appears to be in nice shape and unmolested. Even the screws look to be in good shape.
If you aren’t aware, just like Japanese motorcycles and cars those screws are not phillips, they are JIS or “Japanese Industrial Standard”. Unfortunately a lot of people don’t realize that and you’ll find a lot of butchered screws on Japanese products. You’re probably already aware of this but I thought I’d throw it out there.

If you aren’t aware of this you can pick up a set of JIS drivers on EBay pretty inexpensively. If you have other Japanese products they’ll save you a lot of grief and keep your screws looking nice.
Yea I learned the hard way on my Honda 3 wheeler about jis vs Phillips

Yep. It’s really aggravating when I buy a used motorcycle, car, or power equipment and the original owner has made a mess of all the screws.
No doubt. Plus it seems a lot of those fasteners are chemically bonded to the metal there in after so many years. Once I take them out they strip out easily possibly due to them being fine to extra fine thread

I wasn’t aware of fastener heads being different. Thank you. I have ran into JIS threads before but it was hydraulic threading. Good to know

I wasn’t aware of fastener heads being different. Thank you. I have ran into JIS threads before but it was hydraulic threading. Good to know
Just to be clear the threads are standard metric pitches. It’s the head that looks like a philips but it is not.
Sometimes you can identify a JIS screw by a dot somewhere on the head but not always. The easy way to tell is if it’s a Japanese product and has the original fasteners.

Just to be clear the threads are standard metric pitches. It’s the head that looks like a philips but it is not.
Sometimes you can identify a JIS screw by a dot somewhere on the head but not always. The easy way to tell is if it’s a Japanese product and has the original fasteners.
I gotcha. thank you

I’ve got one just like it. It’s by far the saw I use the most. A great little workhorse. View attachment 1046738

I agree, the Echo CS3450 is a nice saw.... I have fixed up and sold a few of them. I still have one in similar shape that built up few years ago. In the basement in a plastic case.... too nice to sell and idea was to have for a back up small saw. Building a group of stihl 011 in top&rear handles... do I keep echo CS3450 or 2-3 of the Stihl 011. The Stihl 011 is messy saw bar oil gets every where.

I also have one of the Echo CST-610 EVL dual cylinder..... I did not know what it was, got a few years ago. I got it running, been while, but believe it needed duck bill ck valve for the fuel. Hard to find where the valve mounts. I wanted to tear the saw down by removing shell and cleaning up..... it is a very clean saw and looks like it may have been run 2-5 hrs. Guess need to complete this one too.... Worth good money from what I saw 4 years ago. What is a 95% saw worth..... should be a collector saw not a wood saw.

Tooo many projects.....
I like Echo a great deal.... my blower BP770T has been working great for 5 yrs or more.... Got a beater for parts, but it runs good now for few years. Neighbor wanted it and now the trigger/cable is not pulling on carb throttle correctly. oooop another project... but was clearing neighbors and my leaves fall 2022. Been flawless except for throttle cable...... sold for 100 with new shoulder straps....

Happy New Year 2023 and Hope you all had a Great Christmas 2022

I agree, the Echo CS3450 is a nice saw.... I have fixed up and sold a few of them. I still have one in similar shape that built up few years ago. In the basement in a plastic case.... too nice to sell and idea was to have for a back up small saw. Building a group of stihl 011 in top&rear handles... do I keep echo CS3450 or 2-3 of the Stihl 011. The Stihl 011 is messy saw bar oil gets every where.

I also have one of the Echo CST-610 EVL dual cylinder..... I did not know what it was, got a few years ago. I got it running, been while, but believe it needed duck bill ck valve for the fuel. Hard to find where the valve mounts. I wanted to tear the saw down by removing shell and cleaning up..... it is a very clean saw and looks like it may have been run 2-5 hrs. Guess need to complete this one too.... Worth good money from what I saw 4 years ago. What is a 95% saw worth..... should be a collector saw not a wood saw.

Tooo many projects.....
I like Echo a great deal.... my blower BP770T has been working great for 5 yrs or more.... Got a beater for parts, but it runs good now for few years. Neighbor wanted it and now the trigger/cable is not pulling on carb throttle correctly. oooop another project... but was clearing neighbors and my leaves fall 2022. Been flawless except for throttle cable...... sold for 100 with new shoulder straps....

Happy New Year 2023 and Hope you all had a Great Christmas 2022
It’s probably pretty apparent what I would do. Keep the 3450 and use it. It’s a very handy and surprisingly robust little saw.

I would have zero interest in the Stihls but like most Stihls you need to either keep them in a plastic tub or completely drain the oil.

If you need a top handle there are plenty of Echos. I have a CS301 and I gave my CS3000 to my son in law. They’re not too hard to find and like all Echos you can still find most parts to bring them up to snuff.

How's it going today? I know these aren't exactly valuable machines but for some reason I love the styling of those slow grey Echos. I grabbed a CS440 for nearly free that was missing the oiler, clutch and drum (engine only needed a carb clean/kit and a new fuel line) and have been able to scavenge most of the parts I need, but not having luck finding the plate seal, 17531038330, this little guy.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/plate-seal-p-540900.html
Seems like it's a cheap part, except for the $22 shipping (almost $40 total in the pretend money up here).... and unfortunately I can't find any busted saws available near me that I could strip that part from, so for the purpose of fabricating my own (unless someone wouldn't mind slapping one in an envelope and sending it up to Canada for a few bucks), would someone be willing to take a few measurements and let me know if this is a metal seal or paper gasket?

Also, finally got my Craftsman 4.3a/vl (cs701) up and running. OEM piston replaced last year (I hate those bloody cylinder mounting bolts, though) and a carb clean/kit, new lines and filter, have a new spur but really having issues getting the clutch off. 3 nuts popped off on the inside of the muffler so it's just wired on until I weld a plate or new nuts in there. Ran nice for a single tank last year then started having issues and getting worse until unusable after less than 3 tanks, I drained it and put it aside until yesterday. Gave it fuel, can get it to fire and barely idle really lean on choke, carb adjustments do nothing, no fuel going out the carb, definitely a carb problem. Carb filter screen was clogged, cleared it out (and checked all the jets with spray carb cleaner), no need to kit because it was still impeccable from last year. The fuel line split right at the filter (must've clamped a bit too tight) and sucked in crud from the tank. I'll get a picture or 2 and edit.

EDIT: Tossed in a video of the 701.

View attachment VID_20230119_230230634.mp4
View attachment VID_20230120_142137007.mp4View attachment VID_20230123_200650973.mp4
EDIT 2: I decided to just order the part, had some other stuff I needed from Jack's anyways. Wanted to make sure the cs440 engine was sound before dropping money, already tested about 150psi, seems to run nicely but I'm not going to WOT for more than a second without even the load of a clutch or oiler.
View attachment VID_20230124_202027750.mp4
View attachment VID_20230124_202108401.mp4

How's it going today? I know these aren't exactly valuable machines but for some reason I love the styling of those slow grey Echos. I grabbed a CS440 for nearly free that was missing the oiler, clutch and drum (engine only needed a carb clean/kit and a new fuel line) and have been able to scavenge most of the parts I need, but not having luck finding the plate seal, 17531038330, this little guy.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/plate-seal-p-540900.html
Seems like it's a cheap part, except for the $22 shipping (almost $40 total in the pretend money up here).... and unfortunately I can't find any busted saws available near me that I could strip that part from, so for the purpose of fabricating my own (unless someone wouldn't mind slapping one in an envelope and sending it up to Canada for a few bucks), would someone be willing to take a few measurements and let me know if this is a metal seal or paper gasket?

Also, finally got my 701 up and running. OEM piston replaced last year (I hate those bloody cylinder mounting bolts, though) and a carb clean/kit, new lines and filter, have a new spur but really having issues getting the clutch off. 3 nuts popped off on the inside of the muffler so it's just wired on until I weld a plate or new nuts in there. Ran nice for a single tank last year then started having issues and getting worse until unusable after less than 3 tanks, I drained it and put it aside until yesterday. Gave it fuel, can get it to fire and barely idle really lean on choke, carb adjustments do nothing, no fuel going out the carb, definitely a carb problem. Carb filter screen was clogged, cleared it out (and checked all the jets with spray carb cleaner), no need to kit because it was still impeccable from last year. The fuel line split right at the filter (must've clamped a bit too tight) and sucked in crud from the tank. I'll get a picture or 2 and edit.

EDIT: Tossed in a video of the 701.
View attachment 1051278
I’m also a fan of the grey Echos. Here’s my CS301, CS3450, and CS5000.
E35FE560-28A2-4382-9417-CCEDD79B3608.jpeg
But today I’m giving my CS452VL some attention. So far I’ve just made a big mess.
CDE33207-EF26-44EF-BD90-EEAD43263F3C.jpeg

I hadn’t used my CS452VL for quite awhile so a week or so ago I tried to fire it up with no luck. It would fire up with a bit of fuel down the carb throat so I knew it was time to go through the fuel system so I ordered a kit for the Walbro.
So today I rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel lines and filter. I fired it up and after a bit of tuning it’s running great but unfortunately it’s not oiling. The only thing I’ve ever done to the oiler was replace the three o-rings on the adjuster shaft and it worked fine but today no joy.
I figured it was time to pull the clutch and service the rest of the oiler system.
I have always been able to remove a chainsaw clutch with just a drift and bit of persuasion from a ball peen hammer. Not this time. I’m afraid I’m gonna damage the clutch using my Neanderthal technique so I looked online for a removal tool for this saw and couldn’t find one that specifically fit a 452.
Before I go to the trouble to make one does anyone happen to know of a tool that is still available that will work?
Some of the Echo tools look like they might but I’d rather not keep ordering tools until I find one that works.
Any tips are appreciated.

Latest posts

Back