Is metal stained oak desirable in a slab?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpacemanSpiff23

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I finally started milling the logs in my driveway. The oak I have, has a black stain on one end. I figured there was a nail that I was going to hit and dull my chain. Nope! 4 bolts. Tore off 5 teeth, mangled a few others and dulled the rest. Then I sharpened it, went in to finish the cut, and hit the rest of them. So that was a ton of fun. The metal left a giant blue black stain that is still showing up, 6 inches away from the metal. If you were going to buy a coffee table top or desk top, would this be something that you would seek out, or avoid?

Second question. My chainsaw mill maxes out at 29.5". The log I'm milling is 30" So I an stripping the bark off where I have to. Is this going to cause problems with drying?

6C15E344-BC22-46A2-8FA6-B8CDA4119912.jpeg
CE82C173-074F-4E6C-9C1C-0EB98E362861.jpeg
17C30D9A-BBFF-40C1-A441-E90478BD2716.jpeg
2CB71163-322D-46AC-B71B-FAA8CD567100.jpeg

I finally started milling the logs in my driveway. The oak I have, has a black stain on one end. I figured there was a nail that I was going to hit and dull my chain. Nope! 4 bolts. Tore off 5 teeth, mangled a few others and dulled the rest. Then I sharpened it, went in to finish the cut, and hit the rest of them. So that was a ton of fun. The metal left a giant blue black stain that is still showing up, 6 inches away from the metal. If you were going to buy a coffee table top or desk top, would this be something that you would seek out, or avoid?

Second question. My chainsaw mill maxes out at 29.5". The log I'm milling is 30" So I an stripping the bark off where I have to. Is this going to cause problems with drying?

View attachment 899052
View attachment 899054
View attachment 899053
View attachment 899051
I aint a fan.

Definitely not a positive thing. You could try tackling the stain using oxalic acid but it will/could also bleach the surrounding timber. Unless its really special wood whenever I see that back stain I stop milling and go mill something else. If I'm milling for someone else I tell the client "if I hit something it will cost extra. This could be anything from a resharpen, to a new blade/chain.
Nope - bark usually falls off well before the wood is dry.

I sorta like it. Depends on where it is being used and the customer. Did the blade survive. It looks like the metal is awful deep in the log. What did you do with the rest of tree. Were you able to pull the metal out before the next cut?

Get creative and build/concoct a STORY around how that Iron got there .. aawwLL the awful trouble it caused when you found it and How much it cost to have the lumber EXORCIZED, And that you will NEVER EVER saw lumber in the Dark of the MOON again. You might snag a "UNIQUE" customer.
As for myself I Cringe at the site of Iron stain in wood. It has become a conditioned reflex after specific conditioning..

Back