Is my tree dying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellel

Reaction score
I just noticed this spring that my maple tree is losing its bark at the base of the trunk. I am horrified! Never have I had a concern for the health of this tree, until now. I am attaching photos. I did easily remove some of the bark myself to see if I could find bugs, but a lot of the bark has just fallen off on its own. (Btw, I found a small earthworm and one little grub like bug, but that is it.)The bald spots on the trunk encircle about 50% of the trunk. I have included shots of the other side of the trunk which look normal. As far as the tree growing, it did its normal shedding of those red seed things a few weeks ago and now it has budding leaves. I wouldn't know anything was wrong looking up at the tree... it's just looking down that you see the injury.
Is there anything I can do for this tree? Thank you for any help you can provide!

Attachments

• 20200419_163907.jpg
    20200419_163907.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 20200419_163947.jpg
    20200419_163947.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 20200419_163859.jpg
    20200419_163859.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20200419_163855.jpg
    20200419_163855.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
Your tree has lost a lot of tissue important for transmission of water, nutrients and hormones between the roots and the upper parts of the tree. It is not going to get better, but it may get worse.

You need someone qualified onsite to look at it. They will probably tell you to remove it.

Yeah...given that the bark is just falling of, that is damage that happened in the past.

Maple are tough, it will stay alive. Poke at that wood, my guess is it is starting to decay and will get weaker over time. I wouldn't call it an emergency removal, but getting it down before it gets weaker will be a LOT less costly...a lot. (Unless there is room to just drop it without piecing it down). You don't want it getting too weak to support itself. From here that is a guessing game. Eventually you will loose of you wait long enough. How long do you want to play?

Doesn't need to come down now if you are out of work and need to wait for budget stuff, but put it in your plans.

Maybe even get next tree planned and ready to plant in the fall.

Thank you all for your replies. Not the answers I was hoping for :( I think I will call an arborist to come look this week. And like one of you mentioned, plant another tree nearby.

Back