Is Stihl 4Mix to be avoided, looking at strimmers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@salvagedrover you’ve been here for 15 years with 6 post and you write a book replying to a year old thread? That part is kinda funny but…What the heck is with the weird cook and lover line?
I don’t remember, it’s been a while since I’ve been on here, but why would you bother at all to see how long I’ve been on here or how many posts I’ve posted? Are you looking for things to pick on me about? I’m a STIHL gold tech, I can program m-tronic and KOHLER EFI, and make $60 an hour working on homeowner machines for them when I feel like it, I’m happy with myself so insult away my friend.

The “lover and cook” part, reading back, was a joke, I guess I went out on a limb expecting more people on here to pick up on what I figured to be a pretty obvious humor tangent.

I can't fathom how anyone could buy a 4-mix when there are MUCH better alternatives. 2-strokes are lighter, more powerful for their size/weight, cheaper, cheaper to maintain, WAY less moving parts, and require NONE of the maintenance you need to do with a 4-stroke. When tuned right, a 2-stroke will ALWAYS start much easier / faster than any 4-stroke. Plus, you STILL have to premix it! Zero benefits.

Been working on small engines for 30 years. Just calling it like I see it.
Less emissions, more torque, quieter, better fuel economy, but sure, “zero benefits”! I imagine a lot of people in this industry believe things like climate change isn’t real, climate change isn’t exponentially accelerated by mankind in the last 100+ years, the world is flat, and that “certain” people should just “get over that whole slavery silliness”. But emissions ARE a bad thing, 4-mix engines are CAKE to work on, it’s ONE T-27 bolt on a valve cover and a free feeler gauge that comes with the new gasket and crush washer, and an 8mm T-handle, and you’re DONE. It takes less than 2-3 mins and it has to be done only like every few months or so, what’s the big deal? And for a mechanic to be complaining about the repair when they’re PAID TO DO IT, is beyond me. And a used 4-cycle mower will almost always start easier than a cold new 2-stroke, any day of the week. I’ve been working on machines just over 20 years, so I’m not a spring chicken either. I’m just call in’ it like I’m see in’ it, Y’ALL.

Paid too much, but a rode hard, put away wet KM110R 4 $80,
KIMG5750.JPG
ten bux at the dealer for an air filter and bulb, clean up, set the valves (they were at about 7 or 8 thou!) and brmm brrm.
Now I gotta find some attachments...
KIMG5754.JPG
Was clean inside...
IMG_0064 - Copy.JPG IMG_0062 - Copy.JPG
cylinder still had cross hatching.
IMG_0060 - Copy.JPG
#5) 4 mix in the shed.

I don’t remember, it’s been a while since I’ve been on here, but why would you bother at all to see how long I’ve been on here or how many posts I’ve posted? Are you looking for things to pick on me about? I’m a STIHL gold tech, I can program m-tronic and KOHLER EFI, and make $60 an hour working on homeowner machines for them when I feel like it, I’m happy with myself so insult away my friend.
Lol, why bother? It’s not like it’s hard, You made a weird post and I didn’t recognize the screen name so one click on your name gives you that information. I’m glad you’re happy with yourself, Who doesn’t love a great lover, a cook, all while being a gold stihl tech! Sounds like the building of a incredible dating website profile, Not so much for a chainsaw website… Haha. C’mon man!

Lol, why bother? It’s not like it’s hard, You made a weird post and I didn’t recognize the screen name so one click on your name gives you that information. I’m glad you’re happy with yourself, Who doesn’t love a great lover, a cook, all while being a gold stihl tech! Sounds like the building of a incredible dating website profile, Not so much for a chainsaw website… Haha. C’mon man!

You may recall back when they introduced the 4mix products they claimed they were forced to make them because it was impossible to nake a 2 stroke that met emissions standards.
Guess they got that part wrong.
so we were left with more expensive more complicated heavier equipment that had no real advantages.
Before too long, Stihl figured out a lot of people weren't so happy with it and they came out with another two-stroke the 94R which was much better received by many people.

You may recall back when they introduced the 4mix products they claimed they were forced to make them because it was impossible to nake a 2 stroke that met emissions standards.
Guess they got that part wrong.
so we were left with more expensive more complicated heavier equipment that had no real advantages.
Before too long, Stihl figured out a lot of people weren't so happy with it and they came out with another two-stroke the 94R which was much better received by many people.
I bought a new KM131 a few years back. It’s been great, bit on the heavier side for what it is but overall I’m happy with it. Having said that at times I wish I had bought the KM94. Mite pick one up for general yard maintenance stuff and keep the 131 for the heavy duty work.

I use my 4mix with the 12” chainsaw attachment and it is a little beast. With the extra extension it will keep you further from harms way. Love the sound and torque compared to the 2-stroke. Both good. Glad I read to use it with Stihl Ultra.

I bought a new KM131 a few years back. It’s been great, bit on the heavier side for what it is but overall I’m happy with it. Having said that at times I wish I had bought the KM94. Mite pick one up for general yard maintenance stuff and keep the 131 for the heavy duty work.
Running my friend's 94 compared to my 90 shows Stihl really gave it more low end torque, which is great for heavy weeding. 4mix don't need to be ran at full throttle like a 2 stroke so are suited to such tasks. The throttle stop control is also a nice add. It punches above its weight class for sure. I don't understand the 4mix hate for anything other than political reasons.

Running my friend's 94 compared to my 90 shows Stihl really gave it more low end torque, which is great for heavy weeding. 4mix don't need to be ran at full throttle like a 2 stroke so are suited to such tasks. The throttle stop control is also a nice add. It punches above its weight class for sure. I don't understand the 4mix hate for anything other than political reasons.
No wonder you don't get it.
The 94 is a 2 stroke, not a 4mix.
It is what Stihl came up with after they realized the 4 mix was costing them market share.

That's political?

Commercially, the 4 MIX sells 50 to1. Mostly FS 90R. The 94 does fill in most of the rest.
So I should have this HUGE 4 mix graveyard. I don't. They hold up well.
It is like any piece of equipment. A little maintenance goes a long way.

Commercially, the 4 MIX sells 50 to1. Mostly FS 90R. The 94 does fill in most of the rest.
So I should have this HUGE 4 mix graveyard. I don't. They hold up well.
It is like any piece of equipment. A little maintenance goes a long way.
Exactly. At my shop we get a few 4 mix units here and there for legitimate repair but 90% of it is maintenance stuff.

You are assuming that Redmax is available (not in this area) and that Huskys are better. Is this why I have a pile of dead huskys here?
And I know it doesn't matter, how about a servicing dealer?
Not around here. Go to Tractor Supply and good luck.

You are assuming that Redmax is available (not in this area) and that Huskys are better. Is this why I have a pile of dead huskys here?
And I know it doesn't matter, how about a servicing dealer?
Not around here. Go to Tractor Supply and good luck.
Certain redmax models have Husky models that are identical except orange. The Husky models that aren't redmax's aren't as good in the best case and complete junk in the worst. Just like Syihl Husky makes a range of equipment from solid products models to consumer garbage.

Back