Is Stihl 4Mix to be avoided, looking at strimmers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatherwheels

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Am thinking of getting a strimmer / weed whacker.
Not looking to go too big, I see Stihl FS 131 has 4Mix
technology.
I see the FS111 Model too, at 5.8kg which is heavy enough for me.
Is there any reason to not take the 111, I can't see a weight for the Stihl FS 131,
but its more power than I need.

Anyone using any of these models, or another Stihl with smaller CC
that will last a while.

Is the Husqvarna 135R a good item, its cheaper than the other two above.
I do not need the most powerfull item, no heavy strimming to do.

Any comments on the Stihl harness that comes with these models.

Open to Husqvarna too, but people around me have had problems,
burning them up in short time.

My 131r has been working well for about five years now. It’s not my favorite trimmer but it’s got good torque for thick brush and weeds. Antivibe and ergonomics could be better, it runs like a heavy old trimmer. The 4 mix hasn’t been an issue yet, although I think the valves could use adjustment.

If I had to only have one trimmer I’d keep my Echo 2620u, with bicycle handles. It’s just nicer to use for an hour at clip, for my back and my wrists. Bicycle handles are great imo, they’re not common but they’re way more comfortable.

My 131r has been working well for about five years now. It’s not my favorite trimmer but it’s got good torque for thick brush and weeds. Antivibe and ergonomics could be better, it runs like a heavy old trimmer. The 4 mix hasn’t been an issue yet, although I think the valves could use adjustment.

If I had to only have one trimmer I’d keep my Echo 2620u, with bicycle handles. It’s just nicer to use for an hour at clip, for my back and my wrists. Bicycle handles are great imo, they’re not common but they’re way more comfortable.
Thanks for the information, I was not sure if they had valves,
I see they do, will be giving it a miss, I like simple.
Echo will be just as expensive as Stihl where I am
but parts won't be readily available, so I thought of Stihl and Husqvarna.

I will look if they have strimers without this 4mix, less to go wrong.

At the township we used all stihl products, up until about a year before I quit. The new 4 mix brush cutters and trimmer we got that year had a lot of issues, we had a lot of low power and hard restart/no restart issues. The dealer constantly blamed us (well the parks department) for bad fuel ect, however they were using the same fuel in the older products with no issues. We actually switched to the stihl hp ultra to keep with warranty. (Total load of bs imo.)
We ultimately ended up switching to echo products. Just as powerful, light weight, and at a very economical price point. No issues that I've heard of since I left, and I would consider one for my personal use when my old husqvarna l126 needs retired.

At the township we used all stihl products, up until about a year before I quit. The new 4 mix brush cutters and trimmer we got that year had a lot of issues, we had a lot of low power and hard restart/no restart issues. The dealer constantly blamed us (well the parks department) for bad fuel ect, however they were using the same fuel in the older products with no issues. We actually switched to the stihl hp ultra to keep with warranty. (Total load of bs imo.)
We ultimately ended up switching to echo products. Just as powerful, light weight, and at a very economical price point. No issues that I've heard of since I left, and I would consider one for my personal use when my old husqvarna l126 needs retired.
Thank you for posting your experiences, I did hear 4mix caused
issues, am sure they have them solved by now, but I will give them
a miss, simple 2T will do me fine.
I will look into the Echo strimers, though they will not be cheap here.
Tanaka used to keep the prices down here, they were very popular
so the other brands had to compete in price, now they are gone too.

Have you looked at a FS 94R? It's a two stroke and weighs 2 pounds less than a FS 131R. Of course, it's a smaller engine (24.1cc vs 36.3cc) but the landscapers here in northern Comifornia love them. Less weight and they claim they have plenty of power. They prefer them over the FS91 too. For the same reason, less weight. It also has an adjustable throttle setting thumb screw that you can easily raise or lower your max throttle settings. It's pretty cool if you're working around some delicate landscaping and don't want to shear off your customers prize daffodils.

Don't be turned off by the 4Mix.. I think it's a great engine, I use it in my FC91, FS90, FS 131 bike handle trimmer, and my BR 800 blower. Never had an engine issue with any of them.
Full disclosure though, I am a Stihl mechanic, so I am partial to them.
My FS 131 is a beast, I have an X-Treem harness for it and I clip my dove hunting pouch to the harness and load it up with 6 extra pre-spun spools, extra gas and I take off and cut fire break lines for all my neighbors in the rural county we live in. Sometimes for over 6 hour a day.
I can average about 1.25 hours of pretty much none stop trimming per tank with it. I've had it for over 3 years now, and again, never had an issue with it.

Adjusting the valves on a 4Mix is super easy. One T-27 wrench gets the access cover off and one more T-27 bolt gets the valve cover off and then you just need a feeler gauge and an 8MM socket. Your local dealer should be able to set you up with both the wrenches and feeler gauge for under $15.
I have never had to adjust the valves on any of my 4Mix engines yet. Although I should probably check them on my 131 since I use it so much. But it would be just routine maintenance though, cause the thing runs like a beast!

Whatever you choose good luck with it and take good care of it and it'll last you a long time!!

I used an FS110 a lot before I got a used FS250. It had plenty of power for trimming weeds and cutting small trees if I installed a light blade. It always started easily cold, or hot. I never did anything with the valves.

Most of the local landscapers here all use them so I think they must be ok. Rarely do I see anything else beside Stihl. The 4 cycles are easily distinguished from the 2 cycles by the sound from a good distance. I've had zero issues with my 91r in 7-8 years but then again I wouldn't expect to, I only use it to trim around 40+ trees in my orchard, the pond and the ditch at the road. Compared to commercial use it does not see a lot of hrs. At the end of last year I checked the valve lash for curiosity sake and it was spot on. It was a 10 minute job start to finish. Plug and internals looked great. Running a 4 cycle is a bit different at first when you've run 2 cycle trimmers all your life but I actually prefer it now that I've run one so many years. I like the low rpm grunt compared to a 2 cycle. Just personal preference.

My HT103 has been rock solid for over 4 years now. I did need to adjust the valves this summer, but it's 4 years old and has cut a lot of branches. I believe it's the same engine as the 111 trimmer, but I could be wrong.

I had a BR550 that was nothing but problems, but the BR600 runs great.
As far a string trimmers I sold my FS110 and FS130 trimmers and kept my FS250 and FS120.
If you're doing brush cutting with a blade on your trimmer, the FS130 gives the FS250 a good race.
If you're line trimming, the higher RPM from the 2 strokers is your friend.

I used an FS110 a lot before I got a used FS250. It had plenty of power for trimming weeds and cutting small trees if I installed a light blade. It always started easily cold, or hot. I never did anything with the valves.
Did the FS110 have valvles, they are not sold locally.

Am thinking of getting a strimmer / weed whacker.
Not looking to go too big, I see Stihl FS 131 has 4Mix
technology.
I see the FS111 Model too, at 5.8kg which is heavy enough for me.
Is there any reason to not take the 111, I can't see a weight for the Stihl FS 131,
but its more power than I need.

Anyone using any of these models, or another Stihl with smaller CC
that will last a while.

Is the Husqvarna 135R a good item, its cheaper than the other two above.
I do not need the most powerfull item, no heavy strimming to do.

Any comments on the Stihl harness that comes with these models.

Open to Husqvarna too, but people around me have had problems,
burning them up in short time.

I had a BR550 that was nothing but problems, but the BR600 runs great.
As far a string trimmers I sold my FS110 and FS130 trimmers and kept my FS250 and FS120.
If you're doing brush cutting with a blade on your trimmer, the FS130 gives the FS250 a good race.
If you're line trimming, the higher RPM from the 2 strokers is your friend.
Yes, I need the speed, so two stroke it will be, the 250 seems a beast.

My two cents worth:
Don't shy away from the 4Mix products. Going back almost 20 years, in having 4 of the 4Mix motors, I've only had one problem, and that was a bad coil on my HT101 pole saw. Only had to adjust the valves on one of these, very little amount. Stihl Hp Ultra oil with ethanol free gas on all.
My FS 130 trimmer works well, great low-end torque, and I think it's even quieter than other non-4Mix motors.

4 mix is the unit of choice in this area. If you are dead set against it, look at a 94. Let's lighter and still pro quality.
Look at who your servicing dealers are close to you.
Are the 4 cycles geared differently in the head than the 2 cycles to compensate for the lower rpm they turn?

Latest posts

Back