Is Stihl 4Mix to be avoided, looking at strimmers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything Raatler said is fact. The 94R is pretty bad ass. I have had a few times the choke wouldn’t open after gassing on it. Pretty stupid trivial problem but Stihl put a new carb on under warranty.

3 90's a 130 and a pole saw, all 4mix, only the polesaw was new, the others bought used, cheap. Adjusted the valves and flawless since...
fersher on handlebars.
I use thick featured line and like how you CAN run 4mix at low RPM when working around sensitive plants and metal fence posts to cut the grass but not bark or quickly cut the string on metal. Low fuel use and quiet idle while walking between trimming areas, long idle periods, no problem either..

I went from an FS 85 to an FS 90 4-mix.I was quite sorry for that.The loss of RPMs when using a saw type blade becomes very noticable.As for just running a string head,the 4-mix is ok.I ran an FS 70 for many years until I just wore it out.Great trimmer for the money.

Everything Raatler said is fact. The 94R is pretty bad ass. I have had a few times the choke wouldn’t open after gassing on it. Pretty stupid trivial problem but Stihl put a new carb on under warranty.
How long ago was had you the carb issue, getting warranty for me will be
an issue, as the Stihl dealer seems to dislike me. Sold me a 372 with a 13" bar,
then refused to upgrade to a bar that would not destroy the saw, said that is what
comes with them, even though I saw the longer bars on them in their shop, never
trusted them after that. Had a recoil spring that kept on breaking on a new saw,
it broke day 1, I put a new one on, it broke day 2, I took in to the dealer, he put a new
one on and charged me, said it was not covered under warranty, it was a wear item,
well yes, but it never worked, and it could not possibly wear in a day, just no help.

They are getting better towards me, but I fear its always going to be a struggle with them,
I would not like to be looking for a carb change, same people sell Husqvarna, so no difference
there.
Sadly Stihl is a good brand, but when you have a dealer that is just not fair, then what can you do.

My line of thinking is, if you have to premix anyway, might as well go 2-stroke with ZERO valves. Keep it simple!

I've worked on a few 4-mixes years back. Nobody realizes they have valves, and they quit running once the exhaust valve hangs open from zero clearance cold, which then becomes negative clearance (Hanging valve open). When I present a bill with a valve adjustment, they get wide eyed and say, "BUT, I HAVE TO PREMIX!" It's an extra expense, extra weight, and extra complexity that's not needed in ANY hand held equipment.

Plenty of better choices out there.

Maybe someone from Stihl’s HR dept or higher up will see this and question you about the dealer. Otherwise I’d be inclined to stroll in Walmart and get whatever “disposable” straight shaft 2 stroke hanging in there. They’ve got a fairly relaxed return policy. 😂

My line of thinking is, if you have to premix anyway, might as well go 2-stroke with ZERO valves. Keep it simple!

I've worked on a few 4-mixes years back. Nobody realizes they have valves, and they quit running once the exhaust valve hangs open from zero clearance cold, which then becomes negative clearance (Hanging valve open). When I present a bill with a valve adjustment, they get wide eyed and say, "BUT, I HAVE TO PREMIX!" It's an extra expense, extra weight, and extra complexity that's not needed in ANY hand held equipment.

Plenty of better choices out there.
First time I've heard someone moving customers away from good tools or maintenance work. This reads as, "Buy stuff this shop will never need to service."

I'd actually love to give one of the 4-Mix power heads a go. A lot of councils use them around here. I don't hear too many problems at all.

However, at the time of purchase the best I could afford was a KM 94R. That thing goes hard. Yes, it's the Kombi version, but really it's same, same, but different. It's used for pole pruning, edging, hedge trimming and line trimming.

So if you're worried about 4-Mix, the 94R is a great 2-Mix.

There is something to be said for the bang for the buck you get from MTD products too. I have been cutting my 4 acre property with a yard machines version of the MTD lawn tractor for 15 years now. Other than new belts and blades I haven't done a thing to it and it's still going strong after I bought it for $1100, 15 years ago.
Other than one trip to the shop when I first got it for some adjustment it has never been in the shop since I've owned it

Nothing fancy but it sure gets the job done

Well that does you no good when the machine is shoddily engineered and built with low-bidder garbage. How do you maintain an ungreaseable spindle bearing built with chinese steel?

I should clarify - the older MTD units were really good. 1995 and older. Anything built in the 21st century seems to be a steaming pile ...

Consider yourself lucky. I made a great living off those machines. Constant breakdowns.
I just bought a Craftsman mower on the cheap to fix up and flip. Had the old cable style blade engagement with brake arms instead of electric pto. I was happy to see that one go.

I've fixed MANY of those, too. A customer had one where I damn near replaced every single component on that tractor except for the engine and transmission over the course of a few years, lol. Fuel tank leaked, electric PTO switch failures (Multiple), spindles seized & bearings failed regularly, belts burned, pulleys melted (On the drive system), tie rod separated (Just mowing, lol), endless carburetor problems, flat tires, etc., etc.

My dad bought a 23hp huskee mower from tsc back in 98. He did no maintenance. None. Added oil when it was low, never changed it. Think it took a deck belt, one spindle and a set of drive belts. I pulled the engine out last year and scrapped the rest of it this spring because the transmission locked up. He got his money out of it. Mowed 3 acres every week till he got his hustler, then it was mowing just over an acre a week till it died. Funny part is it still ran great, fired right up and never missed a beat.

Latest posts

Back