Is the Petzl Sequoia SRT harness actually suitable for DRT climbing as well?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaSoulMan

Reaction score
Homeowner here and a newbie to tree climbing. I baulked at the cost to have someone come prune the lower level branches of my trees and then to also charge extra to climb in and prune dead branches so I am looking to do this work myself. Clearly I am not an arborist so I take the change of making bad cuts and damaging my trees but with that being said I am looking to get a good hardness. I understand the basics of each system but I am curious if the Petzl Sequoia SRT harness actually suitable for DRT? I tend to jump heard first into "hobbies" so just want to future proof where I might want to go in the future. I thought about purchasing a lower cost harness from Amazon just to get into my tree to do the work but then I am trusting my life on the quality of the Chinese made harness that really doesn't excite me :)

I am looking for any recommendations that the site has here with me just getting into climbing and doing my own tree work. I am planning on getting the "The Tree Climber's Companion" and reading through that.

Thanks! I appreciate the time for you looking at my thread.

I see no reason that petzl harness wouldn't work for DRT. There are numerous more affordable options that would also work fine, seeing as it sounds like $ is a concern. It would help anyone giving you advice to know what kind of trees you are working on. SRT can be more efficient for the production climber but there are also lotta expensive gadgets to make it work.

When you say "take charge of making bad cuts and damaging my trees" also include potentially damaging yourself.

I would not buy climbing gear from Amazon. They are for toilet paper, or reading materials, or safety glasses. There are a number of legit outfits that sell climbing gear (sherrill, treestuff, wesspur, baileys) that have actual human beings in the United States that speak American English that will talk to you on the phone if you have questions. Granted they want to sell you something but if they sell you the wrong something odds are better you will get help.

Have been using a buckingham "Ergovation Economy" saddle for 7 years now and while I never did join the SRT crowd it has worked just fine. Its a little outdated and clunky and a guy probably could SRT on it. Currently you can get one for around $320.

There are a couple of sites that sell the Petzl Sequoia for under 400 dollars. One I question to reputation of but the other not so much. Seems like a good deal to me.

Good point on the damaging myself. I guess I cannot help it. I am a cheap bastard and I have ADHD which means I have an aversion to spending money to pay others to do things if I can (obsess and) learn it myself and buy myself some nice gear through the whole process.

Thanks!

SRT version of Sequoia has an added attachment point, just a webbing loop, close to the waist for SRT ascents. It just keeps whatever SRT device you’re using close and a little easier/ faster to capture progress. For work positioning, the bridge will be more comfortable and offer more mobility. If you’re just using the bridge it’s no different than the regular Sequoia.

If at all possible, get an experienced mentor. When cutting, be tied in twice. You should be very proficient with a chainsaw on the ground before running one at height. Maybe pick out a nice Japanese pruning saw, it’s amazing how productive one can be with a Silky.

I am a bit worried for you man. Another option is drop and leave. Most tree services offer free estimates and you can shop around and tell them to just get the material on the ground, no cleanup. Might be a lot less than the quote you already got.

You be safe man. This stuff will kill, cripple, and maim. Don’t make a cut unless you know what the material is doing next.

Thank you for the words of concern. I actually purchased the Jameson FG kit here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FY0CUIK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_XEE984XHHHX4443B1SCZ My brother in law also has the Milwaulkee m18 telescoping pruning saw. So I will most likely be limiting myself to using these. Mostly looking to clear dead branches from the trees but also prune away from the house for example. Not planning to take my actual chain saw up into the tree yet but yeah just getting up there and getting comfortable in the tree. Seems like it would be a fun hobby too. Actually considering getting the kids a full harness. I think they would find it to be a blast.
SRT version of Sequoia has an added attachment point, just a webbing loop, close to the waist for SRT ascents. It just keeps whatever SRT device you’re using close and a little easier/ faster to capture progress. For work positioning, the bridge will be more comfortable and offer more mobility. If you’re just using the bridge it’s no different than the regular Sequoia.

If at all possible, get an experienced mentor. When cutting, be tied in twice. You should be very proficient with a chainsaw on the ground before running one at height. Maybe pick out a nice Japanese pruning saw, it’s amazing how productive one can be with a Silky.

I am a bit worried for you man. Another option is drop and leave. Most tree services offer free estimates and you can shop around and tell them to just get the material on the ground, no cleanup. Might be a lot less than the quote you already got.

You be safe man. This stuff will kill, cripple, and maim. Don’t make a cut unless you know what the material is doing next.

Back