Is there a way this 71 yo man can start his new 250 stihl chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why should you have to do anything to a new chainsaw to get it started? My old Craftsman 2.2 saw will pull and start very easily and it's several years old, my Stihl 017 not so good. Remember the old McCulloch saws that had electric start?

They are tight little saws. And the catch you are looking for on choke sometimes doesn’t happen. Pull 4 times on choke and then flip it up and pull again. Takes good hard pulls. I can see how it would not be a pleasant saw to start for someone older. But a good cutting saw. Takes some getting to know is all.

From a
Tractor Supply review on the Senix 4 stroke
"
Light, quiet, not as stinky, no mixing anything. Very easy to start. This has been a very reliable and very powerful chainsaw. Has given me absolutely no issues. I would buy another as a gift for a buddy.
Also, I start this with two primer pushes and choke applied. Takes maybe two pulls before it coughs. Squeeze trigger to release choke, pull once more and start. ( this is bitter winter cold after sitting overnight ) Easiest small engine I’ve ever worked on and started."

I may have a like new easy start recoil become available in the next few days that should just swap onto it, warning they are expensive but damn it makes starting effortless.
I think the flywheel will have to be swapped also!!

If I'm still running saws in much 70's, I'd probably m
Remove/modify the pull start and use a drill with a ratcheting adapter and socket fit right in the flywheel nut. Easy peasy!
Not bragging but I will be 80 jan.31 and I haven't seen one I cant crank, and thats with both shoulders replaced and both knees!!

I am 71 yr s. old and about 3- 4 months ago i bought a new Stihl 250. I have had it started only 4 times, once by me (30 min. after i purchased) and 3 times by others. Each start was placing i t on a flat surface and holding it with a foot placed a small way in the handle and holding down on the hand grip, then pulling the starter rope. I have a 025, 029 and 170 and i have no problems starting them this way. I have had the 250 back to the dealer twice and before it would start they pulled, standing up, 20 to 25 ties before it finally hit. Another 5 tries before it finally started and ran. The mechanic said it was flooded and i didn't use the proper starting procedure. I have been starting saws for 40+ years without having this much trouble. I am wondering if there is a decompression valve i could ins tall that could make it a bit easier to pull. Any help or suggestions would be helpful.
My friend solved this problem with his tight ms250 by fashioning a board to put through the handle. Stand on the board and pull quick. Hope this helps.

I wonder if Stihl's battery powered chainsaws are as good as the electric weedeater that I bought this summer. I do all my weeding and it still has battery left...I bought an electric because I was so tired after starting my weedeater that I didn't feel like using it...I should mention that I'm 78 and have a bit of a heart condition...
I got the MSA 200 Li-ion battery saw in March of 2019. I love this little saw. I don't wear my shoulder out pulling on a rope. Less vibration. I was pleasantly surprised at how long the battery lasts, and how fast it charges. No fumes, no need for ear plugs, no oil and gas mix. It punches above it's weight when it comes time to cut. I like it so much that I got the HTA-65 battery operated pole saw. Very handy indeed. Just push the button and squeeze the trigger. Easy peezy!

250s are a beatch to cold start as stated above.
Put it in "start" position (choke) for no more then 3 pulls. Then take it OFF CHOKE and pull till it starts.
The "burp" we expect may not be clear or happen at all. They are finicky and will flood if you keep choke on longer then 3 pulls.
If you can force-feed some mix into venturi then don't choke at already and pull till it starts.
At the end of the day it's all about knowing your saw. Each one are different, you may start off basically the same but soon work out the saw, it's just takes time and patience. Not every saw is the same and not every saw goes by the book. It points you in the right direction but learning is down to the individual

It's only gonna get harder to start as it breaks in. Pull it over NO MORE than three times on full choke. Switch to half choke and pull until it starts. I'd recommend installing an elastostart, it will dampen the impulse felt when coming up on the compression stroke. Makes a big difference. Part number 0000-190-3402.
On some saws that I've had a hard time starting, I use a strip of double-sided velcro to wrap around the trigger to hold it in. I then pull the starter rope, and that seems to help quite often to get it started. Once it starts, I pull the velcro off the trigger. Less awkward trying to hold the trigger and pull the rope at the same time.

On some saws that I've had a hard time starting, I use a strip of double-sided velcro to wrap around the trigger to hold it in. I then pull the starter rope, and that seems to help quite often to get it started. Once it starts, I pull the velcro off the trigger. Less awkward trying to hold the trigger and pull the rope at the same time.
thats after you flooded the saw right? the down side is the chain is flying around and an accident waiting to happen.

"This saw is too easy to flood", and I have his 251C that I bought from his widow. The original owner said that to the dealer and the dealer said it was the owner's fault after he gave him a $100 repair bill. I have to agree with the original owner. Three choke pulls will flood the saw and it will not pop and tell you earlier that it is ready to run. Then you are flooded.

Had Stihl not included a primer bulb, it might have worked out better. I can start it, but I know not to pull more than once (or at most twice) on choke after priming it.

Back