Is there a way this 71 yo man can start his new 250 stihl chainsaw?

SteveSr

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
The major problem is when i try to start the saw is the compression. It constantly wont pull over 1-2 pulls then kicks back.. I do have the strength to pull hard enough using the on my knees method.. Any suggestions?
Once it kicks, take the choke off and pull until it starts...

a. palmer jr.

a. palmer jr.

Tree Freak
The major problem is when i try to start the saw is the compression. It constantly wont pull over 1-2 pulls then kicks back.. I do have the strength to pull hard enough using the on my knees method.. Any suggestions?

I would be interested in more details as well as expected cost.
Not quite sure about the 250 but I just changed over an 018 and it didn't require a flywheel. I looked on ebay a minute ago and all the 250 flywheels looked the same, but the 171, 181, 251 had the pawls on the flywheel so those models would need a flywheel plus the cover.

SteveSr

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Not quite sure about the 250 but I just changed over an 018 and it didn't require a flywheel. I looked on ebay a minute ago and all the 250 flywheels looked the same, but the 171, 181, 251 had the pawls on the flywheel so those models would need a flywheel plus the cover.
The issue with the flywheel change is the way the spring mechanism works with the flywheel. The wind-up one is also wider so you also have to change the wrap handle. This makes swapping even more expensive.

a. palmer jr.

a. palmer jr.

Tree Freak
The issue with the flywheel change is the way the spring mechanism works with the flywheel. The wind-up one is also wider so you also have to change the wrap handle. This makes swapping even more expensive.
Yeah, that's true, I've only changed them from easy start to manual, which is what most people want. No need to change the handle for that...

Pioneer

Pioneer

ArboristSite Guru
Ms250's can be difficult to pull over when they're new. The small recoil pulley doesn't help this any either. However, once they've had several tanks of gas through them and are broken in they get considerably easier to pull over.

sundance

sundance

ArboristSite Guru
Ms250's can be difficult to pull over when they're new. The small recoil pulley doesn't help this any either. However, once they've had several tanks of gas through them and are broken in they get considerably easier to pull over.
RIGHT!!! Would you explain that to mine? I think it missed the memo.

CR888

CR888

Addicted to ArboristSite
If I'm still running saws in much 70's, I'd probably m
Remove/modify the pull start and use a drill with a ratcheting adapter and socket fit right in the flywheel nut. Easy peasy!

Wood Doctor

Wood Doctor

Edwin
I think Stihl should simply change the name of the E-Z Start system on the 250C to E-Z Flood. That might solve lots of problems with owners who have operated 025s and older 250's (or any other Stihl saw for that matter).

a. palmer jr.

a. palmer jr.

Tree Freak
I think the idea is that if your 025 is hard to start assume it's flooded. When I buy a Small Stihl saw I generally change the carburetor on it to a fully adjustable one. I can't remember if the 250 has got the adjustable carb or not, but I know the 018, 180 does not.

cookies

cookies

ArboristSite Guru
it has a fully adjustable carb, I got the easy start ms250 powerhead to crank on a dime and run great so i'll offer that to him as a solution

Pioneer

Pioneer

ArboristSite Guru
My current 250 has the adjustable carb which needed a HUGE change in tuning after I did the muffler mod. The change in power was so dramatic it felt like I had a 30 percent power gain over than what I started out with.
Mine was a rebuild with aftermarket parts, I suspect it broke in sooner than a stock saw would and which made it easier to pull over than when new.
Some saws seem ridiculously hard to start even after a long time of use, I have an homelite XL1 that's a real bear to pull over, and seems that has it no intention to get any easier in the future.
Most complaints about the 250 seem to have to do with flooding though, the ones I have worked on so far had the adjustable carbs which seem to be fairly large considering the displacement of the saw. Maybe this makes the saw finicky about tuning in their stock state. I never left the mufflers stock on my samples, they seemed to run so poorly because they were choked up so much and could never use their full flow potential.
I suspect that these saws will never run the way they should unless the mufflers are set up to flow properly. Not that hard to do, and there are some good threads about how to do it here.

Latest posts