Is there a way this 71 yo man can start his new 250 stihl chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oogie

Reaction score
I am 71 yr s. old and about 3- 4 months ago i bought a new Stihl 250. I have had it started only 4 times, once by me (30 min. after i purchased) and 3 times by others. Each start was placing i t on a flat surface and holding it with a foot placed a small way in the handle and holding down on the hand grip, then pulling the starter rope. I have a 025, 029 and 170 and i have no problems starting them this way. I have had the 250 back to the dealer twice and before it would start they pulled, standing up, 20 to 25 ties before it finally hit. Another 5 tries before it finally started and ran. The mechanic said it was flooded and i didn't use the proper starting procedure. I have been starting saws for 40+ years without having this much trouble. I am wondering if there is a decompression valve i could ins tall that could make it a bit easier to pull. Any help or suggestions would be helpful.

As small saws go, the MS250 is a nasty little beast to cold start- they are well known for it.
There is a "correct" starting procedure and it pays to adhere to it- or as your tech pointed out, they will flood and hydro lock. They just are not as forgiving as many other older and some newer saws when it comes to firing up.
Easiest way to make it start better is to sell it and get a 261. ;)

I am 71 yr s. old and about 3- 4 months ago i bought a new Stihl 250. I have had it started only 4 times, once by me (30 min. after i purchased) and 3 times by others. Each start was placing i t on a flat surface and holding it with a foot placed a small way in the handle and holding down on the hand grip, then pulling the starter rope. I have a 025, 029 and 170 and i have no problems starting them this way. I have had the 250 back to the dealer twice and before it would start they pulled, standing up, 20 to 25 ties before it finally hit. Another 5 tries before it finally started and ran. The mechanic said it was flooded and i didn't use the proper starting procedure. I have been starting saws for 40+ years without having this much trouble. I am wondering if there is a decompression valve i could ins tall that could make it a bit easier to pull. Any help or suggestions would be helpful.
if its a choke fickle carb, leaving the choke off and wetting the filter instead might be an option
but if its a compression problem, then a thinner longer pullcord that completely fills the pulley will give you more leverage

As small saws go, the MS250 is a nasty little beast to cold start- they are well known for it.
There is a "correct" starting procedure and it pays to adhere to it- or as your tech pointed out, they will flood and hydro lock. They just are not as forgiving as many other older and some newer saws when it comes to firing up.
Easiest way to make it start better is to sell it and get a 261. ;)
Enabler!!!!!! :laughing:

250s are a beatch to cold start as stated above.
Put it in "start" position (choke) for no more then 3 pulls. Then take it OFF CHOKE and pull till it starts.
The "burp" we expect may not be clear or happen at all. They are finicky and will flood if you keep choke on longer then 3 pulls.
If you can force-feed some mix into venturi then don't choke at already and pull till it starts.

My MS250 acted like it was flooding when I first got it.
Then I read somewhere that it was actually a lean low speed jet.
Turns out they were right. Took the limiter out and gave it a 1/4 turn.
All good now!
As for age, I turned 80 last spring and I can climb hills and start my Husky 272 (no de-comp)
when I get there. 140 lbs. as well.
Age has little to do with it.

Since I have a few older guys around me with MS250's I picked up a new 1123 020 1220 cyl with Decompression hole. Some day I'll help one out when needed. While it was a Ms290 one neighbor I started it, set brake and put it in back of truck and he drove home to use.

I wonder if Stihl's battery powered chainsaws are as good as the electric weedeater that I bought this summer. I do all my weeding and it still has battery left...I bought an electric because I was so tired after starting my weedeater that I didn't feel like using it...I should mention that I'm 78 and have a bit of a heart condition...

So after reading these posts, I go downstairs and grab my ms250 that had been sitting without being used for 3 months to see how it would start. Four pulls to the burp, three more to start. 1 more pull than usual in each case. I have my saw tuned so that it is on the lean edge for cold low speed running and is perfect only when warmed up, just like all the rest of my saws.
I have a muffle mod on my saw that allows it to flow like it should without being overly loud, perhaps this makes the saw less prone to start issues.
In any case, proper tuning goes a long way toward ease of starting, and should be tried before any other possible issues are chased down.

I may have a like new easy start recoil become available in the next few days that should just swap onto it, warning they are expensive but damn it makes starting effortless.
Not %100 but I think it's a different flywheel too??

@Oogie Is the problem actually being able to pull the starter rope or just getting it to start when it is pulled?
The major problem is when i try to start the saw is the compression. It constantly wont pull over 1-2 pulls then kicks back.. I do have the strength to pull hard enough using the on my knees method.. Any suggestions?
Not %100 but I think it's a different flywheel too??
I would be interested in more details as well as expected cost.

Latest posts

Back