Is this a fair price for an iron and oak 22 ton?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsayen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all

found a local Facebook marketplace ad for this 10 year old iron and oak 22 ton with the Briggs motor for $1000. It looks like it’s had very little use based on the pictures and the owner saying so. I’m not familiar enough with them to know if this is a deal or not. I know the 22 has been discontinued. I know iron and oak are a good brand but a brand new TSC isn’t much more. I’d probably jump on it if it had the Honda but maybe the Briggs is good enough?

buy it or pass? Pics attached

thank you

Attachments

• 79697988-416C-463B-86E4-2D85570EA023.jpeg
    79697988-416C-463B-86E4-2D85570EA023.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 09D5667A-7AD2-4E2D-A1EA-295463DA94B5.jpeg
    09D5667A-7AD2-4E2D-A1EA-295463DA94B5.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 49
  • BADBF762-AD9D-4248-96D1-5E334175254F.jpeg
    BADBF762-AD9D-4248-96D1-5E334175254F.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 3A374CEE-3279-4A0B-ABFB-6A6A33E83905.jpeg
    3A374CEE-3279-4A0B-ABFB-6A6A33E83905.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 52
I wouldn't go a cent over $800.00 for it, and I'm pretty sure id start at $750.00. I wouldn't be afraid of the Briggs either, but it is the economy engine and should be treated as such. Used is used and as far as I'm concerned it's not worth spending near new price on used equipment. The extra $200.00 is worth the warranty period if something goes wrong on a new unit. A pump alone will cost you that.

They’re well built machines but that price is a little steep. It does have a full I beam construction which the tsc model does not. Cycle time is probably better on the tsc, I think it’s 11 sec. My 26 ton Iron and Oak is 17 secs, but I’d guess the 22 ton is a bit faster.

In NJ the tsc splitters are going for 1300 now. If you got it for 800 or less I think the Iron and Oak would be better, at a 1000 the warranty on the tsc is worth the extra I think.

I've got the 20-ton Iron & Oak splitter. Bought it very lightly used seven yrs back for $1500 and been quite pleased with the purchase. But mine has the Honda GL 270 motor, which I gather is quite a step up from the Briggs. Had a local mechanic work on it (after I let a neighbor borrow it and run it with the choke on . . . never do that again) and he said that Honda motor is like gold.

My unit purrs right along, and I've split gobs of wood with it. The hydraulics have never been a problem. Only hiccup was last year when the auto-return quit. But a slight turn of the adjustment screw set that right. I changed the hyd. filter once or twice, but am still running the original oil. Motor oil & filter I change, of course.

I agree, $1,000 is steep for a used ten year old homeowner size woodsplitter when a brand new TSC 25 ton can be had for less (If you catch it on Black Friday).
I also agree, Honda makes a top-shelf powerhead, but I have an Intek Briggs powerhead on my rototiller (which looks very similar to the model on that splitter)and it has started on the first pull EVERY time since the day I bought it in 1999 with zero issues and the bare minimum maintenance.

I agree, $1,000 is steep for a used ten year old homeowner size woodsplitter when a brand new TSC 25 ton can be had for less (If you catch it on Black Friday).
I also agree, Honda makes a top-shelf powerhead, but I have an Intek Briggs powerhead on my rototiller (which looks very similar to the model on that splitter)and it has started on the first pull EVERY time since the day I bought it in 1999 with zero issues and the bare minimum maintenance.
Agreed the inteks were good engines, but not nearly as good as a gx Honda.

If your patient the tractor supply 25T units go on sale a couple times a year for 999.00, about 1070 after taxes, You will need to check everything over, check bolt tightness, clamps etc. So far mine has been excellent.
Briggs engines are tanks.. loud, inefficient, oil drinkers
I wouldn't pay more than 5-600 for a old unit with a brigs on it. People typically ignore services on small power equipment and run it in the worst situations on the cheapest fuel. If you decide to go look at buying it you should plan to run it for half a a hour under load then inspect the oils, when things sit the sediment settles out into the bottom giving the illusion of it being clean.

If your patient the tractor supply 25T units go on sale a couple times a year for 999.00, about 1070 after taxes, You will need to check everything over, check bolt tightness, clamps etc. So far mine has been excellent.
Briggs engines are tanks.. loud, inefficient, oil drinkers
I wouldn't pay more than 5-600 for a old unit with a brigs on it. People typically ignore services on small power equipment and run it in the worst situations on the cheapest fuel. If you decide to go look at buying it you should plan to run it for half a a hour under load then inspect the oils, when things sit the sediment settles out into the bottom giving the illusion of it being clean.
Same thing happens around here, doesn't matter if it's tsc, lowes, home depot, they all go on sale for around the $1k mark at the end of the season. Then they move them.out back on racks to sit on racks in the rain and snow till the next year they sit them out front on display. There was a 22ton model at lowes with a dented fuel tank that I watched for 3 years till it finally sold.

Iron and Oak splitters (Brave as well) are made to last. The engine isn’t a Honda but if it runs without a problem, that unit will split a ton of wood. Pandemic pricing and availability of new splitters could be a concern. Offer $700ish and see if they’ll come down.
I own a horizontal Iron and Oak that was a rental unit and then owned by a commercial firewood guy. I’ve put a few hundred bucks in it (mostly modifications, new oil, etc.) and I love it.
Check out the design features of the TSC splitters and see what you prefer.

Think-
Beam length?
Height?
Cylinder size?
Wedge position?
Beam channel or bolted wedge/push plate?

I have that EXACT same splitter (except it has a Honda GX160 engine on it). I'm the third owner (2nd owner bought it from a rental yard). Mine looks much rougher than yours. The fenders are long gone, the beam is a wore down visibly thinner where the spitting wedge slides on the beam. However, I only paid $425 for it, and I've split about 12 cord of wood in the last 3 years. Very well built machine as far as construction goes. If you could get yours for a bit less money, I think it would be a good deal....

It looks like it would work better in the vertical. If you intend on using it horizontal looks like the wheels and axle are going to force your body position. This would effect how I see it's value. As for what is fair?
Agreed. I always run mine in the vertical position, and push a round over to sit on. I have my son stack up rounds on my left and put a wheelbarrow on the right. As I fill up the wheelbarrow, I take a short break and roll it over to the shed and stack. Works out to be up and moving about every 10-15 minutes so I don't get so stiff

Back