Is this a good vintage homelite saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Someone close by to me is selling this old homelite saw for really cheap, wasn't sure if this was a sought after saw or not. I personally have no experience with homelite , I have been running stihl for over 20 years now but always see people talking about homelite saws on here so figured I would ask.Screenshot_20230128_074445_Facebook.jpg

Ok I have a whole tool box full of Stihl top handles for work, just wasn't sure if this was a good collector saw. Sounds like it's not so I will leave it alone, thanks for the replies

I have one that came to me from a dumpster; proved very easy to rebuild. It’s been my top-handle saw for years and it’s been a good one. The pressurized oil feed system is a bit wonky but does the job on a 12 or 14 inch bar.

NO,
not for a Stihl person.

If you are a Stihl guy and you say you are, do not buy that Homie.

From experience and sometimes experience is all I have to offer.
Those little top handle XL's were not built to be a constantly reliable saw.
I don't buy any of them. I only take them in for parts and pieces.
I've got some of them little XL Homies and some in the salvage as donor saws for parts and pieces. You can easily put more $'s into one working on it yourself than they are worth.
It takes lots of TLC and petting over the years to keep one going, (they like to be petted before you try to use one similar to a dog or cat and they are not trustworthy day to day like a good saw should be. I mainly use mine for Jeep and ATV roads hauling them in a carrying case. Several times I've had them fail me and they were running good few days before and I would be in the deep woods needing the saw to operate for just a few minutes. You also need lots of patience when owning one of those.
I have some good older reliable Homies that were originally built as reliable saws,
They are in the category of OCCASIONAL USE SAWS.

I had a little Super 2 ,which I think was 2.0 ci vs 1.6 ci for the XL. Not a bad saw for $129 back when I bought it new. If I remember correctly, some had two throttle triggers . One near the front of the handle for easier use with one hand, and one to the back for normal use. Cut many loads with that little saw. Mixed gas with 32:1 Homelite oil and kept it sharp. If it runs I might pay $40 if I thought I really needed it.

Easy and cheap to work on, not a bad little saw for what it is. Sought after, rare, etc no. Simple little saw that gets the job done and is cheap to repair/replace, yes. Some were plastic, some were mag, some had one trigger, some had two. The plastic ones are light and snappy. Do not know them to need any more TLC than any other saw.

The Super 2 (as mentioned by Bubster) is basically the same saw with a little more displacement, I actually like the Super 2's (again, for what they are).

Never understand why people immediately get into a p*ssing contest about a brand name. Do you like running it? Does it get the job done? Good, then quit being a fanboi and git'r done.

Right now the problem I'm running into is there's more saws than there are decent carburetors. If you buy a new or rebuilt carb you end up having more invested than you'll get out of the saw. I've not had great luck rebuilding the carbs because of the prices of the kits plus the check valves cost more than I want. Sometimes I find a Zama or Tillotson that will work, however.

Right now the problem I'm running into is there's more saws than there are decent carburetors. If you buy a new or rebuilt carb you end up having more invested than you'll get out of the saw. I've not had great luck rebuilding the carbs because of the prices of the kits plus the check valves cost more than I want. Sometimes I find a Zama or Tillotson that will work, however.
I've run into this with vintage Echo saws especially. Cheapest new carb for a 302S is at least $60. Many other parts for that saw are simply unavailable. So, it winds up in my boneyard. :rare2:

It's the Walbro carbs that are the problem. They're getting old and the one way valve is usually bad. I tried repairing them without buying that $25 kit with the valve in it but it didn't work too well. If the saws were worth much I wouldn't mind spending a little more but I usually get less than $50 for an average one. Sometimes I get lucky and the carb works..

I take them when the saw shop puts them out in the scrap pile. I’ll drain the fuel, put fresh stuff in and see if it pops. If it doesn’t I put it in a pile of “sold as is saws”. When I have 3 or 4 that aren’t worth much they go on sale for $50-$75 and the new owner is happy. A runner I’d sell for $50. I don’t keep them and don’t bother working on them. I also don’t buy them. I’d pass. HOMELITE made lots of great saws, those were inexpensive entry saws and did that fine.

Back