Is this a Homelite XL or super XL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuking94

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at this Homelite XL chainsaw I know there was a lot of variations of this saw am I right in saying this is a super XL because the oil fill in on the top? Thanks.

s-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600.jpg

Hi, I'm looking at this Homelite XL chainsaw I know there was a lot of variations of this saw am I right in saying this is a super XL because the oil fill in on the top? Thanks.

View attachment 986140View attachment 986141View attachment 986142View attachment 986143
Saws that look like that are usually XL12 or Super XL, The newer ones are Super XLAO, which stands for automatic oiler. I don't use this one much because of the weight, it also has a little scoring on the piston, I got it fairly cheap..

Attachments

• Super XL Automatic 001.JPG
    Super XL Automatic 001.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1
I recently picked up a super xl in a package deal got it going yesterday runs perfect has oregon bar needs a chain current one has 69 dl so not on local shelves.

well can't tell that from the bar its 200xxxd196, oregon tb, and I counted the drive links 4 times on the existing chain and there are 69, but a 70 may work.

well can't tell that from the bar its 200xxxd196, oregon tb, and I counted the drive links 4 times on the existing chain and there are 69, but a 70 may work.
Just saying 70 is what they came with, at least the originals. Oregon may have changed that for some reason.

I just looked on ebay and they had a couple of new bars and chains for your saw, they were both 20 inch, 3/8 and they both had 70 drive links.

only thing I can come up with is the 96 in the # means 69 dl ? . I have 72 link chains if I can find some one with a breaker may have one shortened not going to use the saw except for fun.
Okay, not sure of the whole number but the last part is the bar mount pattern, D176 if I read it right, first part is probably manufacturing numbers like date, line it was made on, etc.
ok thanks for your trouble

only thing I can come up with is the 96 in the # means 69 dl ? . I have 72 link chains if I can find some one with a breaker may have one shortened not going to use the saw except for fun.

ok thanks for your trouble
No problem, like I said, the bar and chain I have is an Oregon but probably not for your saw. I read the bar mount for my saw, yours is probably different.

Yours is probably D096 or D196..

In my original but older factory parts manual the 20" "homelite" bar call for a 69 DL chain.
On my property inventory list, I call out the 20" SXLAO with 70 links.
On the shelf 3 ea 69dl and 3 ea 70dl and a stack of 20" Homey brand bars on the shelf?
My XL12's would usually run the 16".

From what I remember, the inboard clutches could use 69 or 70dl.
but if outboard clutch like on a sxl130 (xl101) you need 70dl. 69 will not fit.

Back