Is this a rebadged Poulan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axeman088

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My neighbor was doing some spring cleaning and brought me this. I never heard of a Spiegal chainsaw but other than the color it reminded me of those Countervibe Poulan saws I worked on last year or the year before. Curiosity got the better of me this afternoon and it had been awhile since I played with my chainsaw tools so I started tearing it down to see how bad of a condition it was in. So far not too bad considering it was free and it should run with a little tinkering.

I took the covers off . Does anything look familiar to anyone??? The CC Corner is having site problems so no info over there for the time being . The more I tinker with this it just reminds me of an earlier version of the Countervibe Poulans. Am I correct ??? I am guessing this saw is late 60's or early 70's. It has a Tilly carb not sure of the letters yet and also a manual oiler but that is broke . Even has a decomp valve in it. There is a hole in the clutch cover for what I think might have been one of those chain sharpeners to sharpen the chain while it was running which was never a good idea to start with . Glad that is gone.

Attachments

• DSCN2230.JPG
    DSCN2230.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 107
  • DSCN2232.JPG
    DSCN2232.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 104
  • DSCN2233.JPG
    DSCN2233.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 105
Thanks Harley, Now I know what I am working with. I don't know how serious I am going to get with this but in case I go a little over board at least I have something to go by when it comes to rounding up parts if there are any to be had.

Edit. I poked around on the net with Harley's info and found a back door into the C.C.Corner . 74 cc 's not too bad for a freebie. Didn't think it was quite that big of a saw. The cylinder is in a little rough condition ,piston isn't too bad seen worse. At least it has spark because it has points and condenser for ignition. Should be interesting to see how it runs once I get the carb working correctly and stick a fuel line in it that rotted away to nothing.

The roller nose on that bar is shot and sloppy. The funny thing is I have been doing some cleaning myself and took a small load of scrap to the yard and one of those bars along with others was in the scrap pile . Go figure , never thought I would need it . I held onto that style bar for years thinking someone needs this but never tried to sell it and finally let it go . Oh well , I may have another one but I doubt it.

So what is up with that Spiegal? Get it goin....
Man the Poulan would build a saw for anyone or anything. Somebody had to make some money in that company.

I did get it to run . The saw has had a hard life it is wore out, seals leak ,piston and cylinder has seen better days . I have more or less gave up on it for now. It is just sitting on the shelf with the other vintage saws I have

Back