Is this bark pattern natural or manmade? Question about interesting spotted gum tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree_enthusiast12

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there, I had a question about an interesting spotted gum tree that I came across. I have posted about this tree before, but I promise the question is new. Before I begin, I wanted to supply the definition of a tree like this. "Corymbia maculata, commonly known as spotted gum, is a species of medium-sized to tall tree that is endemic to eastern Australia." The definition of mottled is "marked with spots or smears of color." Now, I have seen these trees, and in all cases, have noticed that the bark on the tree trunk seemed to be splotchy.

Here are examples:

1630607693569.png

1630607702173.png
1630607711300.png
Now, the tree of particular interest is this one:

1630607725315.png

For some context, this is the first ever picture of this tree. This was taken as a picture because it was purported to look like a man bending down in prayer in the religion of Islam. It was purported to be a miracle online. At first glance, the bark pattern on the trunk that looks like an arm seems like any other pattern, but when looking at other pictures of this same tree, it looks more straighter and less splotchy compared to the following pictures of the same tree. It also, in general, looks less splotchy and different from bark patterns that I usually see on spotted gum trees.

Here are other pictures of the same tree. I have attached as many as I can find:

1630607743816.png

1630607759945.png

1630607767328.png
1630607773744.png
1630607780448.png
1630607786406.png

To me, these look much more obviously splotchy and mottled than the first photo I posted. Given that a) the black and white photo is the first picture ever of the tree and the whole purpose of it was to report it to be a miracle and b) the pattern looks unlike any other pattern that I've seen on a tree of this type, is it possible that a human manipulated this to make the pattern look more like an arm and thus more like a person bending over? It seems uncanny of a coincidence that the same picture of the tree that happens to have a pattern that looks like an arm and is shaped in a way that doesn't look as splotchy also happens to be the first ever picture of the tree. Or am I just seeing things? If it was a human, how do you think they would have gone about this? Using a tool? If there was a tool, wouldn't there be marks around the edges of that shape indicating this or no? To me, the pattern looks obviously different, and yet I don't see any signs of human intervention near the edges of that pattern. Thus, this is confusing me quite a lot.

I wouldn't call the OP a troll. He has some weird fascination with a bizarre fluke of nature that has attracted religious significance in some quarters.

Kind of like if your grilled cheese sandwich looked vaguely like a crucifix.

What the OP hopes to learn or get out of this quest I can't imagine. But it seems harmless enough.

The mottled pattern is standard - I’ve seen a lot of them. The pattern in the bark may change as it grows and sheds, so that may be why it looks different.

One mans praying figure is another’s bowing Japanese figure. I’d put just as much thought into this “miracle” as I would a potato chip that looks like Elvis.

He is a troll. Read his previous posts.....
I am not a troll.

The mottled pattern is standard - I’ve seen a lot of them. The pattern in the bark may change as it grows and sheds, so that may be why it looks different.

One mans praying figure is another’s bowing Japanese figure. I’d put just as much thought into this “miracle” as I would a potato chip that looks like Elvis.
Yes, I'm aware it is standard, but can you see how in that particular picture, the pattern does not look so mottled, or atleast not obviously so? The rectangular striplike part of the pattern does not look splotchy or curvy near the edges as much as other pictures of the tree at other times or other trees of that species. So I was wondering if it as at all possible that a human or something else manipulated with the bark.

Here's what this thread is about:

This thread is not about splotchy, striplike, mottled, curvy or manipulated. Or even trees, directly.
It's about the elephant in the room, Islam.
Below is a google image search that brings up thousands of hits on this photo: It's all about Islam.

Some see God in trees, in clouds, in toast.
These guys see God in the shape of that tree. His name is Allah.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=s...auh-i85xmQ_1rp9_1J-HIJzqeKrV3hYD3WOqQ76mRlkYw

Here's what this thread is about:

These guys see God in the shape of that tree. His name is Allah.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Well, no, except that the people in this particular thread are Muslim extremists, as evidenced by the Taliban flag they are holding. It reads in Pashto "Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan", which is the formal name that they use for the extremist government under Taliban control......
Given the current state of world events I think the timing of this post is not a coincidence......and this whole thread should be in the political area where it can be properly addressed......

It's one photo in a series and not the focus of the topic nor related to the question. You can choose to look at it this way or not. Keep on topic of the question or move on. Do not make this political. He didn't ask a political question. If you post again about this being political when in fact YOU are the one making it that way then I will have to give warning points.

To me, these look much more obviously splotchy and mottled than the first photo I posted. Given that a) the black and white photo is the first picture ever of the tree and the whole purpose of it was to report it to be a miracle and b) the pattern looks unlike any other pattern that I've seen on a tree of this type, is it possible that a human manipulated this to make the pattern look more like an arm and thus more like a person bending over? It seems uncanny of a coincidence that the same picture of the tree that happens to have a pattern that looks like an arm and is shaped in a way that doesn't look as splotchy also happens to be the first ever picture of the tree. Or am I just seeing things? If it was a human, how do you think they would have gone about this? Using a tool? If there was a tool, wouldn't there be marks around the edges of that shape indicating this or no? To me, the pattern looks obviously different, and yet I don't see any signs of human intervention near the edges of that pattern. Thus, this is confusing me quite a lot.
Man-made trail markers. Not a thing supernatural about it.
1630713056440.png

1630713497848.png
This one looks just like the one you posted.
https://www.deeproot.com/blog/blog-entries/the-history-of-marker-trees/

Yes, this is a common natural phenomenon. To the OP: please give it up. The universe has no interest in what form a particular tree takes. There is no significance to that tree taking an altered form. Those of us who know trees could show you countless others that take weird form.

Is it odd? Sure. But you can investigate this till the end of time, and you'll discover nothing conclusive. Except that willing believers will attach (stupid) significance to anything. Frost on my window this morning seemed to take the shape of Christ on the cross. Meaning? Meaning nothing except that it was cold last night.

Ok fine. At a young age the tree as a sapling was bent over in a storm, and then grew from there. It happens. We were four wheeling outside Glenwood Springs one time and saw an aspen that had done a full 360... I have seen this phenomenon so many times in a forest.
Yep...we've covered that in at least 2 other threads. Clearly he wants to see something more.

If it was strapped to grow like that, could the arm just be the strap after getting fully engulfed by the tree and grown over? Hence it getting less and less prominent as the tree ages?

Sure...could have been a strap. Or aliens. Or a kangaroo used it as a heavy bag to work on his left hook body blows. Or 100 other things that make up the 0.0000001% chance that it wasn't another tree falling on it that causes similar growth patterns in millions of other trees.

I don't know. Ask Occam what he thinks.

Latest posts

Back