Is this black locust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More pics. Got the wood at home. I am pretty sure this is honey L. When I split it, it basically explodes! Splits very easily. Wood is heavy.

Attachments

• 16DDCC93-2ADA-4EBE-ADC5-53EFEA6A4CED.jpeg
    16DDCC93-2ADA-4EBE-ADC5-53EFEA6A4CED.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • F4CB4589-3EAF-4B5F-BCBB-9A31077084C8.jpeg
    F4CB4589-3EAF-4B5F-BCBB-9A31077084C8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • 739E71CF-8D11-4844-B759-086E8FF206BB.jpeg
    739E71CF-8D11-4844-B759-086E8FF206BB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • 26BFBC5A-BB1E-418F-840D-D71889E79089.jpeg
    26BFBC5A-BB1E-418F-840D-D71889E79089.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
More pics. Got the wood at home. I am pretty sure this is honey L. When I split it, it basically explodes! Splits very easily. Wood is heavy.
If there are not whorls of large thorns on the trunk and branches, it is NOT honey locust. Google Honey Locust or Gleditsea triacanthos for pictures

So honey locust is NOT native to our region although there may be a tiny population at the very southern extreme. I am in southern Ontario, Canada. But they do grow here. They have been planted and are sold through the nursery trade as an ornamental. The trees that are sold here are the thornless variety. The one cut down was big (75 feet) so they do well. After looking at more pics on Google and comparing to my branches I am 100% sure it's honey locust. The wood splits very easily I noticed. Have others noted this too?
Black locust has been designated an invasive species and we are not supposed to plant them here anymore. They are taking over woodlots!

So honey locust is NOT native to our region although there may be a tiny population at the very southern extreme. I am in southern Ontario, Canada. But they do grow here. They have been planted and are sold through the nursery trade as an ornamental. The trees that are sold here are the thornless variety. The one cut down was big (75 feet) so they do well. After looking at more pics on Google and comparing to my branches I am 100% sure it's honey locust. The wood splits very easily I noticed. Have others noted this too?
Black locust has been designated an invasive species and we are not supposed to plant them here anymore. They are taking over woodlots!
Most I've messed with wasn't fun to split, much like elm, very twisted grain.

So the big trunks are funny. When I strike with a splitter the splitter bounces off the wood. So I have to chip away. The smaller pieces split extremely easy. The big round trunks feel like rubber.

So the big trunks are funny. When I strike with a splitter the splitter bounces off the wood. So I have to chip away. The smaller pieces split extremely easy. The big round trunks feel like rubber.
That's what I experienced, how green or dry are they? Some wood splits easier green other splits easier dry. 30+ years ago I can't remember how green or dry it was.

Back