Is this mulberry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-techcowboy

N.A.O.T Racing
Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first year scouring for firewood to sell and I really don't know alot about identifying all my local trees. I think I have oak figured out and osage is clear as day but I'm not sure if this is mulberry or?

Attachments

• 20220128_114618.jpg
    20220128_114618.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 53
  • 20220128_114629.jpg
    20220128_114629.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 53
Were the chips kind of a yellow color? In my experience, mulberry has yellow tint to it when cut fresh and turns pretty dark after being exposed. Looks like it could be unless that's fresh cut.

Were the chips kind of a yellow color? In my experience, mulberry has yellow tint to it when cut fresh and turns pretty dark after being exposed. Looks like it could be unless that's fresh cut.
Yea like yellowish orange then more red as it dried

Attachments

• 20220128_175852.jpg
    20220128_175852.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 19
Hey guys this is my first year scouring for firewood to sell and I really don't know alot about identifying all my local trees. I think I have oak figured out and osage is clear as day but I'm not sure if this is mulberry or?
I cut alot of mulberry and that ain't mulberry. Green mulberry is yellowish, dead mulberry can range from yellow to a buckskin color if is really cured.

That bark has an oak look to it to me, but trees are a bit different way up in the Northeast here.

That bark has an oak look to it to me, but trees are a bit different way up in the Northeast here.
Yea and minus trees like hickory we have a **** ton of trees with oak looking bark. I thought it might of bein red oak at first but don't most oaks have lines in the grain from the center of the tree to the bark. This one only have rings. Only thing I know about mulberry is it has a red heart wood and a white sap wood. Don't think its cherry. Thad be completely red. I'm still learning lol

not mulberry but some sort of oak. i think it is in the red oak family.

mature mulberry can get some rougher bark, but not that rough. mulberry has lots and lots of brush to process.it has sticky sap almost any time of the year, yellow inner wood. maybe a lite white on the outer layer just under the bark, mostly a orange yellow. very denseand heavy, till its seasoned

I've got a mulberry tree in the yard here that produces some fantastic berries in the summer. When we were excavating for the addition to my barn, we hit all its roots - they were really yellow in color under the bark. Same for the branches I have to cut back every year. Nothing else like it in this neck of the woods. VERY yellow.

Back