Is this normal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-techcowboy

N.A.O.T Racing
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm pretty new to saws with decomp valves. Is it normal for them to leak. I imagine what that rather then an actual leak this residue of oil is simply the fuel being pushed out of the valve on the up stroke before that first pop. My style of porting makes my sawz like a fat ilow speed setting. Combine that with a 32/1 give or take mixture ratio its the only logical explanation on this new saw.

yes. I take the decomp off on my saws.
I see i see. Yea I could probably get away with that on one or 2 of mine but the others have stupid compression and literally break starters first pull if you forget to hit the decomp. This one im working on has a hair over 175psi stock and when I'm done with it should easily be in the 200s. I like them around that 2 number plus or minus 5. Seems to give them neck snapping acceleration in the wood and ill knock on it now and say I've yet to break or bend anything doing that lol

I see i see. Yea I could probably get away with that on one or 2 of mine but the others have stupid compression and literally break starters first pull if you forget to hit the decomp. This one im working on has a hair over 175psi stock and when I'm done with it should easily be in the 200s. I like them around that 2 number plus or minus 5. Seems to give them neck snapping acceleration in the wood and ill knock on it now and say I've yet to break or bend anything doing that lol
What work are you doing to create your compression numbers?

Im not removing mine. I simply dont pop the button. If your leaking. I think you need to pull it and clean it and maybe change the spring.

Ive had hard kicking saws that ate pawls from being hard to pull. When you need a decomp you need it.

Back