Is This the Emerald Ash Borer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Folks,

This question relates to whether the Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) is afflicting Ash trees on my property. They have been found less than two miles away so my guess is that yes, this is the EAB but was hoping to hear from pros.

I have about 5 acres and all of the ash trees have dead crowns, sprouts close the the ground and "D" shaped holes. I would ring the bark off the affected trees as to kill them and fell/buck them if you folks think this is the EAB. I burn a lot of wood during the winter and while the thought of the EAB in close proximity is not pleasant, at least the trees could be put to good use. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Attachments

• Ash borer 1.jpg
    Ash borer 1.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 6
  • Ash borer 2.jpg
    Ash borer 2.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 5
The reported symptoms and pictures are consistent with emerald ash borer infestation. Assume the worst. It is a lot less dangerous to deal with EAB infested trees before they are completely dead and brittle as hell.

We started taking down our ash trees several years ago. Every day I drive by houses surrounded by dead ash trees that are going to start falling...

Folks, thanks for your replies. I am going to ring the bark off the trees over the next couple of weeks so that they die and then cut them down and turn them into firewood. Serious bummer....the larger tree in the pics used to provide welcome shade in the summer months and now it is a skeleton of what it used to be. F-ing foreign bug killing off our trees.....lovely.

I guess I don't understand your thinking that you should girdle the trees to kill them before cutting them down. EAB infested ash wood becomes very brittle, so it is probably safest to cut the trees down while they are as green as possible.

As said get them on the ground ASAP. The dead branches falling out of the crown will kill you.

I had great stand of nice ash mostly gone now. I wish I'd fell it before they were too far along, and made lumber as most were straight branchless trunks.

Some I even lost a lot of firewood as I won't touch many of the dead ones in the canopy. I let them keel over and salvage what's left not rotted for firewood. Not worth getting killed over IMHO.

Folks,

This question relates to whether the Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) is afflicting Ash trees on my property. They have been found less than two miles away so my guess is that yes, this is the EAB but was hoping to hear from pros.

I have about 5 acres and all of the ash trees have dead crowns, sprouts close the the ground and "D" shaped holes. I would ring the bark off the affected trees as to kill them and fell/buck them if you folks think this is the EAB. I burn a lot of wood during the winter and while the thought of the EAB in close proximity is not pleasant, at least the trees could be put to good use. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
The dead tops are definite signs of dead or dying tree.
Those pieces of bark missing are too large to be caused by the EAB.
They are more likely a woodpecker that has heard the beetle larvae munching and is excavating in to get at it.

I’m in the top of NJ and 75% of the ash here is dead or in advance stages of EAB. It took years and years but it finally hit NJ. I wish I would have cut our ash trees when they were alive, much safer than the doing after they start to die.

You got EAB's - no question. And what many others have written - put 'em on the ground
as soon as you can, while they still have some life in 'em - the longer you wait, the more
dangerous it'll get. I first saw EAB in my area about 5-6 years ago - probably longer. I have
a few ash that haven't gotten it yet, but a handfull out of many hundreds of trees.

Something else I've noticed .... two years ago, I dropped as many trees as I could,
limbed them, and drug the stems to a yard and piled them up - I've easily got
20 - maybe 25 cords of wood in my stem piles. What I've noticed is that the cut
stems don't seem to develop any fungus/growths on them, where many of the
ones still standing (and for all intents and purposes dead) do get a shelf type
fungus growth. A few of those still standing with those growths on it that I've
dropped - the wood is mighty punky in those affected areas. I have a suspicion
that the standing (dead) trees still have a bit of connection with the root system,
and there's some moisture still available to support the fungus ... can't believe
there's much moisture, but then again, it pro'ly wouldn't take much to support
the fungus growth. I've seen none of if to speak of on my stems that are piled.
just say'n

Folks, thanks for your input. I ain't thrilled about having to drop multiple Ash trees that are a current threat to the house, sheds etc., however, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. F-ing invasive species.....from Burmese Pythons in Florida to Zebra Mussels in the Great lakes to the Emrald Ash Borer, invasive species are a plague upon our country.

Keep your eyes out for trees that aren't heavily infested and may survive. Approx. 1% of green and white ash have been resistant to EAB. Those few trees may be critical to establishing a new generation of ash.

Keep your eyes out for trees that aren't heavily infested and may survive. Approx. 1% of green and white ash have been resistant to EAB. Those few trees may be critical to establishing a new generation of ash.
I've got a few living, won't take them down.

It's like the chestnuts and elms.

Emerald ash borer​

adult emerald ash borer

Adult emerald ash borer (7.5–15 mm long).
Scientific name: Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire
Order: Coleoptera
Family: Buprestidae

Distribution​

The emerald ash borer is an Asian species native to China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Mongolia and the Russian Far East. In 2002, the beetle was detected for the first time in North America in the vicinity of Detroit, Michigan, and later in Windsor, Ontario. Data from tree ring analysis indicated that the beetle had probably been present in those areas since the early 1990s.
In Canada, emerald ash borer has been detected throughout southwestern Ontario, in Ottawa and nearby counties in eastern Ontario, and in Sault Ste. Marie and on Manitoulin Island in northern Ontario. In Quebec, the beetle has been found in the vicinity of Carignan and nearby municipalities, in Gatineau, on Montreal Island and in Ville de Laval. The pest has also been confirmed in 21 states in the United States.
The areas in Canada currently regulated for emerald ash borer can be found on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency’s website. A map showing the current North American distribution of the emerald ash borer is available from the Cooperative Emerald Ash Borer Project.

Hosts in Canada​

Principal hosts in Canada​

Green ash, white ash, black ash, pumpkin ash and blue ash

Other hosts​

Other native and exotic species of ash (Fraxinus spp.)
mature emerald ash borer larva

Mature emerald ash borer larva (26–32 mm long).
In northeastern North America, five species of native ash have been attacked by emerald ash borer. All five of these species occur in Canada and all but blue ash are highly susceptible. Although attacked, blue ash, an uncommon species occurring in southwestern Ontario, seems to be somewhat resistant.
Ashes are an important component in many forest communities in Canada from Saskatchewan eastward. There are an additional 15 species of ash in North America, but most of these species are confined to the southwestern United States and Mexico. One species, Oregon ash, may or may not be native to British Columbia. Ash trees have been extensively planted in municipalities throughout Canada and in shelterbelts in the Prairie provinces, often outside of their native range, and all are at risk.

Life history​

prepupae of emerald ash borer

Prepupae of emerald ash borer. This is the stage in which most of the population overwinters in southern Ontario.
In Canada, beginning in late May and early June adults of the emerald ash borer emerge by chewing out through the bark of the host tree, creating a characteristic D-shaped hole. The adults feed on the host foliage for a period of up to two weeks prior to mating and egg laying. Males locate females for mating by a combination of pheromonal and visual cues. Females lay their eggs in bark crevices or under bark scales on the branches and trunks of the host trees. Larvae hatch from the tiny (0.6 by 1.0 mm) disk-shaped eggs after one to two weeks of incubation, depending on the temperature. The newly hatched larva tunnels out the bottom of the egg, down through the layers of the bark until it reaches the interface between the bark and the wood. There it feeds and excavates an S-shaped tunnel, where it grows and develops through four moults of its exoskeleton. The larva then chews a tunnel into either the wood or the bark, forming a chamber in which it will pupate. The larva doubles over on itself in the chamber and becomes a J-shaped prepupa. This is the stage in which most of the population overwinters in southern Ontario. A small number (~20%) of larvae in southern Ontario, and a greater number in more northerly climates, don’t reach maturity and require a second winter to complete development. In spring, prepupae transform into pupae in these chambers and eventually into adults.
emerald ash borer pupa

Emerald ash borer pupa, which will become an adult.

Ecology​

On average, prepupae of the emerald ash borer are able to withstand minimum temperatures of about –30°C, in part through the production of antifreeze compounds. Under-bark temperatures where the prepupae overwinter are often higher than air temperatures. These two factors suggest that the beetle may be able to survive in most areas where ash occurs naturally or has been planted. In more northerly climates, the preponderance of a two-year life cycle will slow population increase and natural spread.
Initial surveys in Michigan indicated that few (<1%) native parasitoids from related species had made the shift to emerald ash borer. However, recent surveys in Canada suggest that some native parasitoids are having an impact on emerald ash borer populations and may potentially be exploited as biocontrol agents. Woodpeckers are the only native predators that feed extensively on the borer. Three parasitoids from China that are highly specific and cause substantial mortality to emerald ash borer in Asia have been imported, cultured and released in the United States. One of these species has been released recently at a single site in Ontario. Some native fungal pathogens (insect diseases) have also been recovered from emerald ash borer and these are also being tested as biocontrol agents.
Aerial photo of an ash stand severely damaged by emerald ash borer

Ash stand severely damaged by emerald ash borer.

Attack and damage​

Adults feed on the edges of the foliage, but it is the feeding of the larvae between the bark and sapwood which results in ash tree mortality. The tree’s transportation system, which moves nutrients throughout the tree and brings water up from the roots, is destroyed by the feeding of the larvae, resulting in the death of the tree by girdling.
Signs and symptoms of attack include crown dieback, bark deformities, woodpecker feeding holes, D-shaped emergence holes and shoots growing out of the trunk, roots and branches of the trees. Signs and symptoms of attack are not obvious until populations of the beetle are well established.

Status in Canada​

The emerald ash borer is characterized as an invasive species that was accidentally imported into North America, probably via wooden packaging materials, and is causing both economic and ecological impacts. The distribution of emerald ash borer in Canada will continue to increase from the natural spread of the insect through flight and by the human-assisted movement of infested ash commodities (firewood, nursery stock and wood products).

Impacts​

Ash is an important component of stream-side habitats, and the loss of these trees will result in erosion of soils into streams and changes in water temperature with increased solar exposure. Gaps in the canopy of wooded areas, caused by ash tree mortality, will affect the microclimate of the forest required by some species and facilitate the invasion of exotic plant species. Ash loss will also result in reduced biodiversity of herbivores that depend on ash for food. Ash trees in the urban environment also provide economic and ecological services, such as increased property values, windbreaks, temperature mitigation, pollution abatement, runoff prevention and provision of habitat for wildlife. An economic analysis of the impact in Canadian municipalities, based solely on insecticide treatments, tree removals and tree replacements, was published by McKenney et al. in 2012.

Looks like EAB to me and others have confirmed this. I realized (too late) that about 3/4 of the trees on my property were Ash and they were all infested with EAB about 2 years ago. I had an arborist come out and he identified 4 trees that were healthy enough for treatment and he injected insecticide into the tree. 3 of the 4 are doing amazing and have come back with new growth. It's time to treat again and I may have him do both an injection and bark spray on the 4th to see if we can save it. If I treat it it'll be the last round as it isn't cheap.
I'm in the process of cutting down the rest. I've got 41 left inside the back fence and about 3 or 4 out in the side yard. Best wishes to you!

I have been taking down Ash for a few years. Now they are so brittle they have become too dangerous with branches dropping. I got many, many cords of firewood.
Take them down as soon as you see the D shaped holes, don't wait for them to die off.

I had quite a few split 5-30 feet up and twist to fall against the lean, so don't count on them falling ok.

The ones I left are in the woods. I stay away from them.

I had a few barberchair so started using only bore cuts.
Be careful felling these if you havn't worked on dead trees. Some of the trees were solid on one side and dust on the other, so quite unpredictable using regular cuts.

I have been taking down Ash for a few years. Now they are so brittle they have become too dangerous with branches dropping. I got many, many cords of firewood.
Take them down as soon as you see the D shaped holes, don't wait for them to die off.

I had quite a few split 5-30 feet up and twist to fall against the lean, so don't count on them falling ok.

The ones I left are in the woods. I stay away from them.

I had a few barberchair so started using only bore cuts.
Be careful felling these if you havn't worked on dead trees. Some of the trees were solid on one side and dust on the other, so quite unpredictable using regular cuts.
This be careful, and use a plunge cut when you can. If you've seen my recent posts I've been looking at a bigger saw to run a longer bar just to be able to 1 get the trees felled quicker and 2, run a long enough bar to be able to plunge cut from one side without having to walk around the tree for safety.
I did get my trees treated again, 2 years ago we had 4 injected. This time we opted to treat the 4th again that had been hanging on, but hadn't had new growth, and the arborist both injected and did a trunk spray on that one and a 5th that was also hanging on.

If you want to save some of your trees it might be worth exploring treatment as an option. It is a financial investment, but my wife and I decided it was worth it.

I tried treating a few larger trees about 2 years ago, had to remove them this year.
Once the bugs start coming out it seems like it was too late.

Latest posts

Back