Is this too much to ask a saw shop?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, stop being so paranoid about ethanol, it's not ideal....but definitely not as evil as some make it out to be. You are driving your local saw shops nuts. ....if you know so well what needs to be fixed, then go ahead and do it yourself. Your the expert, right? I run saws every day for over 20 years all day long and I have very few saw failures(or problems at all). #1 thing to do is Stop buying huskys!!! Huskys are fun for these hobby guys here who wanna cut cookies real fast once a week.....but my experience is that's huskys crap out when used hard as a daily work saw. Ive owned 4 of them and they were all headaches. What's that saying?....something like "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results"..... Stop incessantly purchasing the same brand that's constantly giving you headaches!!! I learned this years ago .
My stihl problems are few and far between.
Strange, I service saws 12 in #for a have to make $'s to live logging company, we have 3 full time fallers & 2 guys that can back up falling if needed, we used to use Stihl but tried Husky as we were getting at that time a better cash deal, the guys found they preferred them to Stihl & we have had slightly less down time with them, so from our company's viewpoint Husky's are not once a week jobbies, they if needed are run all day & 6 days a week 7 30am to 6 pm Just my two cents worth on the last 5 years of work

Strange, I service saws 12 in #for a have to make $'s to live logging company, we have 3 full time fallers & 2 guys that can back up falling if needed, we used to use Stihl but tried Husky as we were getting at that time a better cash deal, the guys found they preferred them to Stihl & we have had slightly less down time with them, so from our company's viewpoint Husky's are not once a week jobbies, they if needed are run all day & 6 days a week 7 30am to 6 pm Just my two cents worth on the last 5 years of work
What Huskys you running?

For trimming grass and weeds an fs90 is a great tool, for clearing brush not so much. Fs130 is a bit closer, but still well short of a clearing saw.

Op, swapping out fuel lines and the whole carb is not tough or time consuming in the field on a tailgate. On my string trimmers I replace fuel lines every other year since the e-10 kills them on the Redmax trimmers I prefer. These days carbs are cheap enough to keep a spare on hand if your working in the bush. What's a day of down time cost including a trip to get parts? New fuel lines and a carb swap take ten minutes or so. Don't let minor issues stop you dead and cost a day or more.

And that black plug should be telling you something. Grab a lil screwdriver and turn a screw. Plenty of vids here to show you how to tune a carb. With your time in the woods, you oughta know what sounds right and what doesn't. No excuse to run them pig rich till they quit.

Yeah, I hear you about not having time to become an expert on everything mechanical. But basic tuning and fuel system service is a necessity if your going to earn your living with these tools. Otherwise down time and road trips to dealers will eat too much of your bottom line.

Bull..

For the price of 1 of these Husqvarnas, he could have 3 FS90s.
Why wouldn't he at least be willing to try one. It would cost about as much as 1 120 mi. trip to his dealer,

or buy 3 and he won't have to go to his dealer for a year or two....
This is what I understand what a brushcutter should be able to hold up to.

and this

and if you have a mulcher blade(like in the second video) mounted to one of your hobby trimmers, after hitting the ground/stone/etc. a few times to many(and it happens very fast) the gear head will be dead very soon. Even with the heavy duty brushcutters the pros replace about once a year the gearing head!

If you break one, buy another, put the old one in the back of the truck for parts, which can be swapped out on the jobsite.
You are recomending repairs on the job site, while clearly he has NO interest in doing so! What a stupid recomendation is that? Wasteing time repairing equiment while your customer is waiting? The customer doesn't give a sh... load if you have defects he wants the job done, further if you buy really good equipement you will have easily paid for them in short order, because you can do more jobs in the same time it takes to repair some low cost junk...

Dude, stop being so paranoid about ethanol, it's not ideal....but definitely not as evil as some make it out to be. You are driving your local saw shops nuts. ....if you know so well what needs to be fixed, then go ahead and do it yourself. Your the expert, right? I run saws every day for over 20 years all day long and I have very few saw failures(or problems at all). #1 thing to do is Stop buying huskys!!! Huskys are fun for these hobby guys here who wanna cut cookies real fast once a week.....but my experience is that's huskys crap out when used hard as a daily work saw. Ive owned 4 of them and they were all headaches. What's that saying?....something like "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results"..... Stop incessantly purchasing the same brand that's constantly giving you headaches!!! I learned this years ago .
My stihl problems are few and far between.
:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:. drive mercedes also???????????

This is what I understand what a brushcutter should be able to hold up to.

and this

and if you have a mulcher blade(like in the second video) mounted to one of your hobby trimmers, after hitting the ground/stone/etc. a few times to many(and it happens very fast) the gear head will be dead very soon. Even with the heavy duty brushcutters the pros replace about once a year the gearing head!

You are recomending repairs on the job site, while clearly he has NO interest in doing so! What a stupid recomendation is that? Wasteing time repairing equiment while your customer is waiting? The customer doesn't give a sh... load if you have defects he wants the job done, further if you buy really good equipement you will have easily paid for them in short order, because you can do more jobs in the same time it takes to repair some low cost junk...

A lot less stupid than buying a $1200 trimmer and having to drive 120 mi. to a dealer and waiting 30 days, when you could swap out a part and be back to work in 10 minutes.

A lot less stupid than buying a $1200 trimmer and having to drive 120 mi. to a dealer and waiting 30 days, when you could swap out a part and be back to work in 10 minutes.
Well I am sure you will recomend a 180 for the saw, because he can take half a dozen and swap out pieces ...

I have re built my own carbs replaced my own fuel lines and adjusted carbs on saws with limiters and I am just mostly cutting to make my own fire wood. I read this as macinical short in all areas, including operation. Cripe I still have a fine running husky from the 1970 when the worth less Stihl I bought would not do much more than cut kindling wood.
Also doesn't say much going back to the same dealer over and over again that won't do as told to do to the saw. If they don't do as requested once shame on them, a second time shame on me and a 3d time label me just plain to stupid to learn.

:D Al

Well I am sure you will recomend a 180 for the saw, because he can take half a dozen and swap out pieces ...

I got to tell you a Stihl 241C with a 16 in bar if you dont have one already is quite the nice saw. I highly recommend it. I been cutting about 40 years and own a tree service.

Well, he just got excited about the clearing saw thing.

I was trying to give some decent suggestions to a guy with a crew that uses Husky 55 and 346's as their go to chainsaws,
that is tired of losing money on his thousand dollar trimmers{clearing saws......}
He would rather make more money, I would guess.

Back