ISA exam 2017

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawna

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to take the ISA Exam. I feel very confident about it. However, I've done a lot of research as to what will be on it except a lot of blogs/forum are all dated 5 plus years ago. I have the manual and read it religiously. I am not a tree climber but I do a lot of problem-solving on the health of trees for customers. So being certified will help my words carry a lot farther. I'm just curious as to how much of the knots and rigging will be on the test. Plus I have heard the tree ID has been taken off but that was many years ago.
Has anyone taken the test recently?

I originally got mine in 2002. I dropped it back in 2012. I had to challenge the test again last year when I returned to tree work. My overall was around 92 percent on the test. For me I found that the tree biology was the hardest or what I remembered the least. Get the online arborist exam practice guide. Study your 3 weakest subjects and you should be fine. Tree Id consist of know names and common names to Latin names. Is mostly about half the names were made or what position refers to. Read the modern biology of trees text. Also the z 133 standards. Hope this helps

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I originally got mine in 2002. I dropped it back in 2012. I had to challenge the test again last year when I returned to tree work. My overall was around 92 percent on the test. For me I found that the tree biology was the hardest or what I remembered the least. Get the online arborist exam practice guide. Study your 3 weakest subjects and you should be fine. Tree Id consist of know names and common names to Latin names. Is mostly about half the names were made or what position refers to. Read the modern biology of trees text. Also the z 133 standards. Hope this helps

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Thanks!
That's exactly what I'm doing, studying my weakest points just cuz I don't do any of that. I have my Horticultural degree so I have taken botany and Tree ID, etc.. passed with flying colors. I've taken all the test I could find online and can ace them now. I guess I'm just wondering to what extent some of these topics / chapters will be covered.

They have a few random ass questions in there, I have no idea how you would even come across the answers with out specifically knowing that question at the start you your search but they do give you a pretty good chance of common sense elimination.
Tree Id is out but know your characteristics of leaves and stuff, tree bio is big. Biggest thing is don't rush. If you don't know an answer scribble the question number down and come back the test sometimes answers itself down the road... ;)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I really appreciate everyone's input. There is a lot to know in this field. A lot of little details in every section of this manual. Thanks! :)

If you read the manual, you should do fine. I've taken the test three times over the years due to not keeping up with CEUs. Each time it seemed like ISA was making the test simpler. One time I even took the test drunk (I would not recommend taking the test this way) and passed with flying colors.

Back