It seems impossible to find a notable skid steer deal.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

softdown

There is only Ingsoc.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Been evaluating tree service equipment full time for three months now. Have yet to see a truly discounted price on a sound skid steer. This is one item where it may make financial sense to buy new - meaning get the most for your money - in the long term.

This may not hold true in the smaller wheeled skid steers. But in the largest skid steers/track loaders? Mercy.

Same is true of diesel chippers this year. They are just insane.

The same year that I chose to equip a tree service/lot clearing business. :nofunny:

yep i went looking for a good used(low hour) tracked skid and mini ho.....ended up buying brand new because new was only 10k more than a 10 year old unit with a 1000 hours.

Been evaluating tree service equipment full time for three months now. Have yet to see a truly discounted price on a sound skid steer. This is one item where it may make financial sense to buy new - meaning get the most for your money - in the long term.

This may not hold true in the smaller wheeled skid steers. But in the largest skid steers/track loaders? Mercy.

Same is true of diesel chippers this year. They are just insane.

The same year that I chose to equip a tree service/lot clearing business. :nofunny:
Buy a new one they are worth their weight in gold.

At this moment I am considering a very well used, 5600 hours, and older unit that has an excellent rep for dependability. Inspectors have passed everything of real importance. I'm guessing ~$25000 due to open air and no a/c along with the hours.

I still need a mulching head, chipper, repairs to other equipment and a 10K fund for emergencies. With luck I can get a nicer unit in a couple years and have two working loaders with the very clear benefits of that.

The next recession will reduce the insane prices of used CTL's/skid steers by - a lot.

I thought you said just bought the big dedicated mulching tractor?

Open station with a mulcher head is asking for trouble.

But dude, the reason there are no smoking deals on these things are because everybody is using them for everything. Nobody (Cat, Deere, Case, Komatsu) build a small true crawler loader anymore. The big CTL will do the same amount of work. Add in pandemic-induced distortions on pricing and supply chains and yeah, it’s stupid. But it is what it is, man. You can either pony up the money to get into something worth having, be it by line of credit or what have you, or you can run an unreliable POS. Or maybe you’ll find a unicorn. But whatever you do, I suggest getting on with it because you’re not gaining any time, the weather is about to go the **** in the rockies and on the front range, and you’ve already lost income you could have earned by not actually getting anything up and going.

I thought you said just bought the big dedicated mulching tractor?

Open station with a mulcher head is asking for trouble.

But dude, the reason there are no smoking deals on these things are because everybody is using them for everything. Nobody (Cat, Deere, Case, Komatsu) build a small true crawler loader anymore. The big CTL will do the same amount of work. Add in pandemic-induced distortions on pricing and supply chains and yeah, it’s stupid. But it is what it is, man. You can either pony up the money to get into something worth having, be it by line of credit or what have you, or you can run an unreliable POS. Or maybe you’ll find a unicorn. But whatever you do, I suggest getting on with it because you’re not gaining any time, the weather is about to go the **** in the rockies and on the front range, and you’ve already lost income you could have earned by not actually getting anything up and going.
Semi big - 21,000 pounds with 9' cutting head and Cummins 5.9 - vs a CTL that might weigh 1/2 that then add about 2200 lbs for the 60" mulching head driven by an engine with half the horses of the Cummins.

Think I got a deal on the larger mulcher. Government agency equipment - they knocked out 1700 hours then parked it for years. Going to have the hoses and turbo replaced when I pick up my big bucket truck next week. Got it for $25K plus several thousand for delivery. So looking at ~55K for a CTL with twice the hours and no mulcher head is a bit of a WTF experience. Roughly three times more money with roughly twice the hours - WTF. That is seriously out of balance.

This years work is already almost past tense. The snow will likely fall in a couple weeks and I am still trying to get the right chipper and CTL and mulching head and stump grinder. Plus everything I buy used needs work - I kind of insist that my stuff work safely and properly. Then we have all repair guys being insanely busy this year. An exercise in frustration and monetary quandaries.

Might gross 150K next year but this year has been awful so far. In the mountains I only have about 5 months to make money. That should change when I branch into the firewood business.

Another huge challenge has presented. I lose 33% of my horsepower at 10,000'. Then you add HEAVY loads and steep mountain roads. Don't have cash for a bigger truck so I'm thinking of changing the 3.55 gears to 4.56. Should be livable with overdrive.

Loans are a no go with very little income. Spending all my time procuring and fixing equipment.

I can cut "bulletproof" plastic and keep the timber out - though I sure hope to get something more appropriate. But the prices always get insane.

I've driven about 25,000 miles in my equipment buying frenzy - eight states. Looking at Minnesota now - ugh.

You might be able to make if if you buy it is there a lot of work available? Used may cost you more if it breaks.
No income this year so I'm not going to ask for a loan. Still have enough for a well used CTL, modest chipper, used mulching head and modest stump grinder. I'll have to rob a bank for the repairs that will be needed. But 2022 looks quite good. Could be really big in fact.

No income this year so I'm not going to ask for a loan. Still have enough for a well used CTL, modest chipper, used mulching head and modest stump grinder. I'll have to rob a bank for the repairs that will be needed. But 2022 looks quite good. Could be really big in fact.
Do what you got to do.

FWIW - chippers are even worse this year. I am seeing prices double and triple those of 2020. Ugh.
That's exactly why I said to just buy new the prices are going to keep rising. I bet I can sell my skidsteer for the same as i paid or more after a year. But that would be stupid. Stuff is hard to get.

So I got a Takeuchi TL12 and a skid steer mounted 9" chipper. Pros and cons to everything of course.

Now I need a stump grinder and a skid steer mounted mulcher. Spent less than expected on skid steer and chipper so things are looking OK financially - which can be the most important thing of all. Creditors can rip the vulnerable apart like the wooden Orca boat in the Jaws movie.

The skid steer mounted chipper came out of left field. Well used chippers can be maintenance intensive (most of them need work - that are for sale) and maneuvering big chippers at 10,000' can be tricky.

This chipper is almost brand new. Weighs 1550 pounds and cost $12,000 new. Got to pick up from Montana ski resort. Nice enough drive - I'll take in Jellystone.

Bit small with 9" feed but I figure firewood and lumber milling will be big parts of the business. Too big for chipper? Firewood then. Theory anyway.

Mate, coming from a heavy equipment background your gonna be having a hard time time used equipment for a few years. Next to bare yards across the country with new lead times going into the some time next year (?) Just went through looking for a dump trailer. Ended up spending a bit more for the new trailer. Also had hopes of getting a compact loader tractor used at a decent price... yeah not happening. Best of luck to you.

Mate, coming from a heavy equipment background your gonna be having a hard time time used equipment for a few years. Next to bare yards across the country with new lead times going into the some time next year (?) Just went through looking for a dump trailer. Ended up spending a bit more for the new trailer. Also had hopes of getting a compact loader tractor used at a decent price... yeah not happening. Best of luck to you.
Feeling pretty good right now. The chipper and skid steer were big, expensive obstacles to over come. Plus the Takeuchi is narrow enough to fit on my 16' trailer instead of the 36' monster.

The skid steer mulcher can wait until next year. I'd like a stump grinder this year but not as important as the skid steer and chipper.

Liking the Fecon Stumpex for stump removal so far. If one has a skid steer it makes sense to use skid steer attachments and not have to worry about tires, engines and electronics. Though the attachments curiously do not always save one money vs buying a much larger and more complex piece of equipment.

Turns out that Diamond makes a 36" disc type forestry mulcher. Every time I look at the very dense trees growing around 10,000' here - I think a 3' cutting path would be ideal. It also has to cost MUCH less new. But likely rare in the used market. As in - I have yet to see one for sale. Maybe 4' instead? Used 5' went for $14.5K yesterday. Not too bad considering the condition but close to Canada - long trip.

Semi big - 21,000 pounds with 9' cutting head and Cummins 5.9 - vs a CTL that might weigh 1/2 that then add about 2200 lbs for the 60" mulching head driven by an engine with half the horses of the Cummins.

Think I got a deal on the larger mulcher. Government agency equipment - they knocked out 1700 hours then parked it for years. Going to have the hoses and turbo replaced when I pick up my big bucket truck next week. Got it for $25K plus several thousand for delivery. So looking at ~55K for a CTL with twice the hours and no mulcher head is a bit of a WTF experience. Roughly three times more money with roughly twice the hours - WTF. That is seriously out of balance.

This years work is already almost past tense. The snow will likely fall in a couple weeks and I am still trying to get the right chipper and CTL and mulching head and stump grinder. Plus everything I buy used needs work - I kind of insist that my stuff work safely and properly. Then we have all repair guys being insanely busy this year. An exercise in frustration and monetary quandaries.

Might gross 150K next year but this year has been awful so far. In the mountains I only have about 5 months to make money. That should change when I branch into the firewood business of Boleo mini skid steer.

Another huge challenge has presented. I lose 33% of my horsepower at 10,000'. Then you add HEAVY loads and steep mountain roads. Don't have cash for a bigger truck so I'm thinking of changing the 3.55 gears to 4.56. Should be livable with overdrive.

Loans are a no go with very little income. Spending all my time procuring and fixing equipment.

I can cut "bulletproof" plastic and keep the timber out - though I sure hope to get something more appropriate. But the prices always get insane.

I've driven about 25,000 miles in my equipment buying frenzy - eight states. Looking at Minnesota now - ugh.
Hello there, I have a small landscaping business and the labor cost is killing me, I want to incorporate more skid steer machinery in my operation. The place we rent it from they charge us $300-$400 per day (including delivery and pickup). There is a promotion of a new Kubota SSV65 skid steer that sells for 34k. When you finance it for 7 years it comes down to $452 + $50 insurance. I can definitely do $500 a month, but will need to buy a beefy trailer + a truck that can support both, so the cost really adds up fast.

Problems/questions:

* I have a v8 Tundra truck. Most dealers told me my truck is not strong enough to tow a skid steer + a trailer to support it. Is that correct? If so, does toyota makes any truck models that can haul this thing?

*Should I look for a used skid steer? Do those things age well?

*Will 65 horse power be sufficient to my needs? Mostly need to spread many yards of soil and gravel.

*Does Kubota has decent skid steers?

*What kind of trailer should I look for?

*Any other un-intended costs of owning a skid steer?

*How maintenance heavy those things are? Frankly, I know almost zero about mechanics so won't be able to tinker/fix it myself.
I
*f you had to buy a no frills truck that will haul it, which one will you choose? f250 will work? I really like toyota, because its so reliable and that's a huge advantage for a non mechanic person like myself. I heard that american trucks have a poor reliability reputation?

Thanks

Hello there, I have a small landscaping business and the labor cost is killing me, I want to incorporate more skid steer machinery in my operation. The place we rent it from they charge us $300-$400 per day (including delivery and pickup). There is a promotion of a new Kubota SSV65 skid steer that sells for 34k. When you finance it for 7 years it comes down to $452 + $50 insurance. I can definitely do $500 a month, but will need to buy a beefy trailer + a truck that can support both, so the cost really adds up fast.

Problems/questions:

* I have a v8 Tundra truck. Most dealers told me my truck is not strong enough to tow a skid steer + a trailer to support it. Is that correct? If so, does toyota makes any truck models that can haul this thing?

*Should I look for a used skid steer? Do those things age well?
l
*Will 65 horse power be sufficient to my needs? Mostly need to spread many yards of soil and gravel.

*Does Kubota has decent skid steers?

*What kind of trailer should I look for?

*Any other un-intended costs of owning a skid steer?

*How maintenance heavy those things are? Frankly, I know almost zero about mechanics so won't be able to tinker/fix it myself.
I
*f you had to buy a no frills truck that will haul it, which one will you choose? f250 will work? I really like toyota, because its so reliable and that's a huge advantage for a non mechanic person like myself. I heard that american trucks have a poor reliability reputation?

Thanks
No, Toyota does not make a truck that can handle any real weight.
Depends, lots of lowish well maintained machines out there, but just as much straight up junk. Since you're not a good wrench, I'd be looking at new.
65hp is an non Def machine and pretty gutless if you're using bigger high flow attachments. Just giving dirt and rocks its would be fine. Mowing, milling, ditch which attachments will suck the life out of it.
Yes, kubita makes good skid loaders. When we got rid of our older newholland (engine blew a head gasket, operator kept running it till it locked up) we demoed, cat, deere, newholland, and kubota. The cat was nice, but got axed because if price. The deere just sucked in every conceivable way. The Bigger guys complained about interior space and being uncomfortable. The controls weren't in sync with the functions, creep mode was nice for milling, made the controls function very well, but useless otherwise. Basically came down to the newholland and kubota. (We were demoing 75hp machines, down from our old 90hp machine.) The newholland wasn't well liked by the mechanics at the dealer (same dealer had newholland and kubota.) And a few local guys that had them talked well about the older models but not the newer models once they got higher hours on them. The kubita seemed well recieved by the guys at the shop. We were warned about some wiring harness issues in high hour machines, but seemed like we'd be trading in by that time anyway. Local guys (specifically one contractor) said they were very well liked. He had 10-15 kubotas that were used daily. More or less sealed the deal for us. I really wish we got a higher hp, but the boss didn't want to deal with the Def system.
Owning, a skid loader has costs, but no more then any other equipment. Stay off black top/concrete so you don't wear out tires quickly. They get expensive fast.
Any trailer over 10k lbs requires a class A cdl. Something to keep in mind. I have a 10k lb deck over and 12k lb "utility" trailer. I have access to larger/heavier trailers if needed. Work has 12k, 16k and a 26k trailer. We hauled the skidloader in the 12k lb trailer, usually behind a 2014 f 250 v10, or a 2005 f550 diesel. The 250 did just fine.
I'm not sure, where or why you think domestic trucks are unreliable. Taken many, ford, dodge and chevy trucks to 300k + miles with little issues. My last service truck was pushing 400k miles when I left road work. Loaded it was close to 11k lbs, and I towed regularly with it. Keeping the trucks well maintained is just as important as realizing you're using it as a truck, often times close or at its peak capacity it's going to have parts wear out. I love Toyota trucks, but they just don't make anything to compete with a 3/4+ ton truck. Comparing apples to cinder blocks imo.

Back