Italian Cypress help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 187322

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm brand new to this and The reason I got into this is because my mom has these 5 dead Italian cypresses. So me trying to save her money I went on Amazon and had her order me this climb kit that came with a harness, flipline and gaffs needless to say I returned them because the gaffs were held together with zipties. Anyway after over 2 grand in high quality gear I still haven't gotten high enough to start cutting them down insections ( because of power lines on both sides of the trees) My problem is my gaffs keep slipping. I went from tree gaffs to pole gaffs which Is a little better but everytime lean forward to flip my line they want slip out from underneath me. So I have to lean really far back to to keep them stuck in the tree and after about 40 feet up it gets really bad. I would greatly appreciate any constructive criticism

Removing trees for the first time around power lines is a no go. I would return all your equipment unless you plan on using it for other projects in the future and pay a competent climber or an insured tree service with a bucket truck to get them on the ground for you. You can do the clean up.
It will probably cost less than the amount you spent on the equipment and you won't die.

Bucket truck can't get close it's up to me and I'm determined to get this done even if it kills me

Attachments

• IMG_20221109_165524668_HDR-01-01.jpeg
    IMG_20221109_165524668_HDR-01-01.jpeg
    969.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221106_135506442_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221106_135506442_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221109_165543530_HDR-01.jpeg
    IMG_20221109_165543530_HDR-01.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221109_165634190-01.jpeg
    IMG_20221109_165634190-01.jpeg
    1,019.3 KB · Views: 0
It might be best if you hire a treeman to just drop them for you and tou do the clean up. I am not telling you don't do it yourself but let me explain. I was a telecom lineman for over 20 years. I climbed every day. This was back when free hand climbing was normal. Even on poles there was a method for keep gaffs in when tying in your lanyard. This was the dangerous part. You had to hold on with one hand shoot your hips away from the pole while throwing the strap around with the other hand and switching grips to catch it on the other side. I still use this method when ascending trees. It takes time and practice to be good at it. It also takes good equipment.
If you are hellbent on doing this you should consider your risks more. I urge you to get a pro to drop the trees and you do the clean up.

Bucket truck can't get close it's up to me and I'm determined to get this done even if it kills me

That sure looks like bucket truck access to me. You can bet they set that transformer with a bucket truck.

You should call your electic utility company and request some line clearance for the removal of the dead trees you are going to do. If they are close enough to be a hazard to the utility lines, I believe you will discover that they will lower the trees below the hazard level for no charge at all. They don't want the liability of you getting electrocuted when their tree division should have done the work.
Be advised, they will take their sweet time about getting it done, too, and will undoubtedly use a bucket truck to do the work, too. No one, however, should consider doing that with an aerial lift except the utility company. They are the only ones certified to work close to the lines.

I'm determined to get this done even if it kills me
I'm going to assume you mean that metaphorically. Problem is, it's very possible for those trees to literally kill you. Dead trees are not worth dying or even getting seriously hurt over. Besides, if it does kill you it'll probably do it before the job is finished and then you still won't have got it done.

Besides, if it does kill you it'll probably do it before the job is finished and then you still won't have got it done.

That is almost a certainty.
I've never heard of a fatal tree-cutter incident that got finished. The trees cannot kill you once they are in the truck; except I guess if you wreck the truck. Even then, it would be considered a vehicle that killed you.

I'm going to assume you mean that metaphorically. Problem is, it's very possible for those trees to literally kill you. Dead trees are not worth dying or even getting seriously hurt over. Besides, if it does kill you it'll probably do it before the job is finished and then you still won't have got it

Sometimes it is cheaper and more practical to just let the trees lower themselves to the ground.

I was asked by a relative to help him lower a dead oak over some power lines. I looked at it and decided there was no damned way I was going to even attempt to bring that tree down safely, and he didn't have the money to pay for getting aerial access.

We called the power and light company and requested a safe lowering of the branches over the wires. They looked at the tree and volunteered to put insulators on the wires, but they commented they weren't about to come do it for us.

When asked what we were supposed to about the risk of the tree falling on the wires? They said "Call us when it falls. It's cheaper to put the wires back up than it is to remove the top of that tree."

Yep. Gravity took care of the tree eventually, and it didn't even hurt the wires.

you might have a death wish, but your mom would rather you live than die over some stupid trees. but then again, maybe your mom knocked all the sense out of ya as a kid LOL. if she is too cheap to hire a Pro. let them go.

Hi guys I'm brand new to this and The reason I got into this is because my mom has these 5 dead Italian cypresses. So me trying to save her money I went on Amazon and had her order me this climb kit that came with a harness, flipline and gaffs needless to say I returned them because the gaffs were held together with zipties. Anyway after over 2 grand in high quality gear I still haven't gotten high enough to start cutting them down insections ( because of power lines on both sides of the trees) My problem is my gaffs keep slipping. I went from tree gaffs to pole gaffs which Is a little better but everytime lean forward to flip my line they want slip out from underneath me. So I have to lean really far back to to keep them stuck in the tree and after about 40 feet up it gets really bad. I would greatly appreciate any constructive criticism
For 2 grand my tree guy here would have downed those for you, Chipped all but the big stuff and left you the big stuff to cut up.

you might have a death wish, but your mom would rather you live than die over some stupid trees. but then again, maybe your mom knocked all the sense out of ya as a kid LOL. if she is too cheap to hire a Pro. let them go.
This is rural arizona closest city is tucson 3 hours Away Phoenix is 4 hours guys in a bucket turned them down its alright I only got 3 left now

Latest posts

Back