Italian Cypress help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might have given us those closeup pictures to begin with.
Even better would have been a vertical picture from between the trees and the wires showing the apparent distance between them.

Did you try getting the utility company to take the tops off? I do that with any tree I can, just to save the money, liability, and lethal risk. If the trees are within 10', they will probably do it for you at no expense.

You might have given us those closeup pictures to begin with.
Even better would have been a vertical picture from between the trees and the wires showing the apparent distance between them.

Did you try getting the utility company to take the tops off? I do that with any tree I can, just to save the money, liability, and lethal risk. If the trees are within 10', they will probably do it for you at no expense.
I think there farther than 10 ' I just had to get high enough to cut the tops off first if not they definitely would have hit the lines. I was having trouble with my gaffs slipping in those dead trees plus my boots haven't came in yet the ones I have now are slip ons there's no support in the sole I ended up using a rope lanyard and steel flip line attached to my land bridge both choked around the tree and a continuous choker for a foot sling. I was able to cut both down at the same time since there so close together hopefully I can climb the middle tree and get the 2 outer ones at the same time

Most guys that start up on spurs have problems with "kicking out". To avoid this problem, I have several suggestions.

1. Make sure they are sharp. This means nice and sharp, but only sharpened on the side closest to the boot. Never sharpen the outside edge. A very long taper on the edge will make it very hard to pull out. A crisp sharp edge without a point will be easiest to pull out.
2. Learn to trust the spurs. Most beginners try to keep their knees pointed inward toward the tree, as though being ready to shinny up in case the spurs don't work. Unfortunately, this is about the best way to kick out accidentally.
3. Keep your body leaning back on that steel lanyard. Similar to knees-in, having your body too close to the tree puts a poor angle on the spur, and they slide off the tree.

Most guys that start up on spurs have problems with "kicking out". To avoid this problem, I have several suggestions.

1. Make sure they are sharp. This means nice and sharp, but only sharpened on the side closest to the boot. Never sharpen the outside edge. A very long taper on the edge will make it very hard to pull out. A crisp sharp edge without a point will be easiest to pull out.
2. Learn to trust the spurs. Most beginners try to keep their knees pointed inward toward the tree, as though being ready to shinny up in case the spurs don't work. Unfortunately, this is about the best way to kick out accidentally.
3. Keep your body leaning back on that steel lanyard. Similar to knees-in, having your body too close to the tree puts a poor angle on the spur, and they slide off the tree.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20221115_171348317_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221115_171348317_HDR.jpg
    923.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221115_161627728_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221115_161627728_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221115_172609056_MP.jpg
    IMG_20221115_172609056_MP.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 0
Got the tops off the rest of them can cut the rest from the ground tomorrow was really happy they all landed where they were supposed to

Attachments

• Resized_IMG_20221115_132547546_HDR.jpeg
    Resized_IMG_20221115_132547546_HDR.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
This is rural arizona closest city is tucson 3 hours Away Phoenix is 4 hours guys in a bucket turned them down its alright I only got 3 left now
hopefully the rest come down without an issue, glad you are safe. stay safe.
did you chunk it down? or did you have room to put in a tag line to pull away from the lines?

hopefully the rest come down without an issue, glad you are safe. stay safe.
did you chunk it down? or did you have room to put in a tag line to pull away from the lines?
I used a tag line there was hardly any space on the back side but other side had a little room to let them fall only thing is I got in the trees the same way I was hanging by my harness the hole time it was slow going and got blisters on my sides from were my belt was. I'm going to practice with my gaffs today with some trees that have a bigger diameter just to get some Pratice. My moms trees weren't the rights ones to be climbing my first time with gaffs. Hey thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back