Italmec spider lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no way any type of self propelled or tow behind manlift will match the speed of a bucket truck as far as the movement of the bucket is concerned. That is not the reason you would buy one of these machines. The reason you would buy one is to get a lift where a bucket truck cannot go. If all or even 75% of my trees were in areas where I could use a bucket truck, I would not buy any other kind of lift. But my situation is the reverse, 75% of the trees I do cannot be accessed by a bucket truck....that is why I sold the Altec that I had.

We have a tree company here that does most of the coconut trees at the beach parks. They have a 90 ft. bucket but can only get to about 40% of the trees because the 10 wheeler sinks and gets stuck in the sand. Forget about laying mats....can you imagine moving mats all around a park??? I have driven my tracked spider lift in sand that requires a 4x4 and have made 360s and gone the other way with no problem.

Teupen's service has been very good to me. The factory sent a tech from Hungary to Hawaii to fix a controller problem on my lift [15GT]and replace the electric motor at their expense. This was in May of last year and the lift has worked flawlessly since then. This April will be 2 years since I've had it and am almost 100% satisfied. What I am not satisfied with is that I wish it had more height. I am planning on selling it within the next year and get the 23GT. I will ask the couple of big customers I have that the 23GT will not be able to get to to put in wider gates. I'll even offer to pay for it. These are simple fence type gates that shouldn't cost more than $500 to change.

Koa, glad to here that all is well, your situation is alot different than most of ours back here in the states regarding access, access to me is an area thing, in my area access isnt that big a problem, so if your machine is 5-6ft wide you wont have an issue.

Some areas such as yours specifically, access is a problem & an alternative such as a spiderlift is needed. Glad to hear your service is good!!!

I got some info on the Italmec from essco distributors, the R16 is $78,000 & the R21 is $120,000, they are aware of teupen & as was stated to me over the phone they are looking to gain in this market as they feel their machine & service are better.................funny all sales peoples products are the best!!

Truthfully, thats still crazy in the UK/eurpoe, etc.. the price of these type of lifts are so much lower its sick. Lionlifts, Oil&Steel, Cherrypicker(Ireland) & many others have products that sell in their homeland for $75k & LOWER!! you can get a 50-56ft lift for $30-$40,000 all sizes, types, shapes, etc..etc..

I just dont see how by bringing it to the states increases the price by $30-$75,000, I think this market will have a lot of competition within the next 5yrs & the prices are going to drop significantly!!!! watch & see.

LXT.............

Yes I agree the prices will drop but I want a spider lift this year, I don't want to wait. Essco said they have a R16 in stock and ready to go. Support and service is done in Long Island and usually over the phone, if they can. Either a Leo18 or a R16 would do me just fine.

Yes I agree the prices will drop but I want a spider lift this year, I don't want to wait. Essco said they have a R16 in stock and ready to go. Support and service is done in Long Island and usually over the phone, if they can. Either a Leo18 or a R16 would do me just fine.

typical American!! LOL. I know Im the same way & these companies know this & honestly thats what their banking on, impatience = $$$$$ & lots of it for them!!!

which one you thinking about getting? The 18gt looks nice & similar to the 23gt just shorter I think the bottom boom telescopes. both are nice lifts!!

LXT............Ill wait untill I absolutely need it hopefully by they will be cheaper! & besides there are cheaper ways to make a towbehind self propelled & get similar access!!!

The 18gt looks nice & similar to the 23gt just shorter I think the bottom boom telescopes. both are nice lifts!!

the 18gt is built on the chasis of the 15gt, difference is both booms telescope on the 18gt. looks nice a machine and does fit through a 36" gate. not bad for a 60fter

There is no way any type of self propelled or tow behind manlift will match the speed of a bucket truck as far as the movement of the bucket is concerned.
From what was explained to me by the Italmec representative their R21 unit uses an 8 gpm pump which is the same capacity that an Aerial Lift uses. So I would say that the operating speed that I observed at the CTPA show, and the impressions that came from the people that had been up in the different units, would confirm that indeed a spider lift can operate at the same speed as a conventional bucket truck.

I also talked to the Teupen rep. and found out that they are offering an option on some of their units that will substitute a higher capacity pump and larger engine for approximately $3 - 5,000. This is in response to the introduction of the Italmec and it's higher speed. I guess competition does improve the breed.

is that $3-$5,000.00 on top of the going rate? if so thats even crazier, If Italmec can do it & its standard why not teupen? I could understand if this was to replace the smaller pump sys. on an older lift.

I dont know if too many people will get that option, I guess it will depend on price!!

LXT...........

My understanding was that it was over and above the regular purchase price.

Not sure if they are offering it as a retrofit to older units.

Last edited:
WOW!! if thats the case I think many will look right by that option, kinda weird teupens lifts get more expensive when working out the bugs or just keepin up with the competition!!

There are many other companies realizing that this market is up for grabs in the states, I think we will see alot more companies & much better prices.

That Italmec R21 looks like a rugged machine & 68ft tall with the ability to get through 36" gate is pretty awesome, the speed being that of a buckettruck is nice too.

LXT..........

Ahh yes... This was the reason why I posted Italmec's video. I wanted to get the ball rolling a different direction. I had a hunch the Italmec was faster, but I didn't realize they could keep up with a bucket.:cheers: That is a added bonus!

Besides, Teupen wouldn't let me start a thread about Italmec and gave me a warning. So, I started one here:)

I was told that Genie lifts, JLG, Nifty Lifts, etc... weren't competition and it was okay to have threads about them on their paid forum.--I thought it was suspect when I mentioned Italmec, they shut me down like I was spreading the plague. :clap:

When I was told to talk about Italmec in a different forum, it turned me away from Teupen all together.

Sorry. That was supposed to be a direct link to the specific photo. Anyway, click on the photo in the middle column and the third down. Nice!

That is a nice lift!! rugged looking, fast & considerably cheaper!! you put that high flow pump on the teupen & now its a $150,000 machine the 23gt that is, but im wondering about the 18gt this lift might be in the same class as the R21???, I dont know! I dont hear of anyone using the 18gt, I wonder why? or if the 23 is what everyone shoots for?

Id have to say this lift is competition, I cant wait till theres like 5-10 mfg`s, Id like to check that out at the trade show!!! Im patient so I can wait!

LXT...........

I dont know! I dont hear of anyone using the 18gt, I wonder why? or if the 23 is what everyone shoots for?

the 18gt was introduced to the USA around the same time the Italmec appeared in the USA. which was approx 6 months ago

Last edited:
I will say the 23gt is a versatile nice functioning lift No Doubt!! I dont know if the question was in regards to the setup or going through the gate?

Honestly & if the price wasnt beyond me I would look into the teupen, I have butted heads with those guys on their forum & after some of the service woes Ive heard/read about I would be hesitant!! not to mention how they do things on their forum!!

The nice thing is John464`s lift is probably the oldest US lift & most often operated lift here!! I would before purchase personally consult with him & watch his posts regarding his machine, I think his would provide the best info on service & the machines field use regarding longevity, reliability & cost to repair, etc..

Ill give anyone a second chance, but if 6 months from now if johns postings show breakdowns or functional problems, It will depend on how their handled & resolved as to weather Id give them future consideration to purchase one.

So If the MFG`s hose placement causes premature wear & is blamed on squirells..................Id have to pass!!

LXT..............

I agree with all of your post except this statement. This is different for each area, but around here you are normally limited to setup on one side of a tree, not 360 degrees around it multiple times, due to fences, pools, pavers, houses, other trees, and landscaping, etc. so in order for you to go up over a inner branch structure you have to telescope up, then telescope out with the upper boom. I call it snaking through a tree. Some bucket guys try this and have to clear an unecessary and normally harmful opening to get to the other side. I would have to do this with an italmec also, but then I wouldnt be upholding my standards of proper tree care. So the telescoping lower boom is necessary if you want to replace climbing and also stick to ANSI code.

I agree John the lower boom telescope is a must have for us also. It is amazing the places you can get into, also the bucket rotation. I use this feature everytime i use the spider. It's like a lot of other equipment you don't know how you got along without it.

There is no way any type of self propelled or tow behind manlift will match the speed of a bucket truck as far as the movement of the bucket is concerned. That is not the reason you would buy one of these machines. The reason you would buy one is to get a lift where a bucket truck cannot go. If all or even 75% of my trees were in areas where I could use a bucket truck, I would not buy any other kind of lift. But my situation is the reverse, 75% of the trees I do cannot be accessed by a bucket truck....that is why I sold the Altec that I had.

We have a tree company here that does most of the coconut trees at the beach parks. They have a 90 ft. bucket but can only get to about 40% of the trees because the 10 wheeler sinks and gets stuck in the sand. Forget about laying mats....can you imagine moving mats all around a park??? I have driven my tracked spider lift in sand that requires a 4x4 and have made 360s and gone the other way with no problem.

Teupen's service has been very good to me. The factory sent a tech from Hungary to Hawaii to fix a controller problem on my lift [15GT]and replace the electric motor at their expense. This was in May of last year and the lift has worked flawlessly since then. This April will be 2 years since I've had it and am almost 100% satisfied. What I am not satisfied with is that I wish it had more height. I am planning on selling it within the next year and get the 23GT. I will ask the couple of big customers I have that the 23GT will not be able to get to to put in wider gates. I'll even offer to pay for it. These are simple fence type gates that shouldn't cost more than $500 to change.

I have to agree with Koa Man. I have only had one problem with my 23GT in the almost 14 months I have owned it. A hydraulic leak on the turret drive motor. Teupen took care of it straight away. No complaints from me on there service. As Wesley said they have been very good to me.
I would not get rid of it for nothing unless I was getting a new 23GT. The bucket trucks take care of anything on the pavement or hard surfaces, and the spider takes care of the rest.

I own a 2008 Italmec R21 Spider Lift, have put about 70 hours on it. Great machine. I'm downsizing my company and the machine is in CA if anyone is interested in purchasing one.

Still Selling?

Aloha SDTree. Still selling that R21? Hey Koa Man, which island are you on? Do you know of anyone with a spider lift on the Big island?

Back