Jak max sprockets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired
Reaction score
Have any of you ran these rims and are they any good, or shoud I stay with Oregon, Stihl and GB.
I actually have one from a Baleys order about 3 years ago but havent ran it much, its an 8 pin standard spline that I ran some on my MS460 but its better with a 7 tooth. The reason I ask is cause I can get em locally for 4 bucks a pop.

Have any of you ran these rims and are they any good, or shoud I stay with Oregon, Stihl and GB.
I actually have one from a Baleys order about 3 years ago but havent ran it much, its an 8 pin standard spline that I ran some on my MS460 but its better with a 7 tooth. The reason I ask is cause I can get em locally for 4 bucks a pop.

I think for the extra buck, I would stick with the good ones, Jdub. I think they're on sale for 4 bucks at Baileys right now.

A crappy rim will ruin your day and your chain right quick like.

Interesting. Didn't know they had their own branded line of sprockets.
Jak Max push Carlton sprockets here as far as I knew ?

Maybe MCW knows more, he's a JM dealer ?

I just replaced a rim and drum system on one of my saws. Got it thru Laser and found the spline was not centered in the rim. Running the chain around the bar by hand made it alternate between tight and loose. Laser found they had a bad batch of rims and were quick to make replacement.
I'm thinking of staying with the quality names from now on.

Interesting. Didn't know they had their own branded line of sprockets.
Jak Max push Carlton sprockets here as far as I knew ?

Maybe MCW knows more, he's a JM dealer ?

They do advertise Carlton sprockets but what you get is inferior quality Chinese sprockets, I ordered a 031 sprocket from my local dealer when I picked it up I noticed it didn't
have the cut out notch for the oil pump drive pin, that was a waste of time :msp_thumbdn:

Firstly where are you buying Jakmax branded rims in the US? Jakmax as far as I am aware only shift a small amount of their branded gear through Baileys.

They do advertise Carlton sprockets but what you get is inferior quality Chinese sprockets, I ordered a 031 sprocket from my local dealer when I picked it up I noticed it didn't have the cut out notch for the oil pump drive pin, that was a waste of time :msp_thumbdn:

I think the OP is talking the rims mate, not the entire "Powerdrive" assemblies. Jakmax do not make their own rims and sell Carlton rims however unbranded rims come with their assemblies.
As far as assemblies go I've just had 3 direct shipped to a customer from Jakmax for an 024 (early model), MS361, and an 064. All will not fit with two of them being incorrectly supplied assemblies. The MS361 is the correct code according to the catalogue but the clutch drum is about 2-3mm higher on the supplied assembly compared to the original - not happy Jan and not sure if I'll direct ship too many more of these. Too much rooting around. When you start running large lines of products manufactured in China it is EXTREMELY hard to keep on top of quality control. You can't visually inspect every single item nor test fit it to the saw it is intended for.
I've also had GB rim assemblies fitted to a couple of 029's and the splines on the clutch drum ended up flogged out with about 40 hours of use. I have never had to replace a rim sprocket assembly on a saw, only the rim itself.
The only rim sprockets I have ever had issues with, and I've run a few, are the GB branded ones in 3/8" standard spline. I've had over a dozen out of round over the years plus a few with casting dags inside the rim where the drivelink goes, or didn't go in this case. If I was to pick a brand that "may" seem to wear faster than the others it would be Oregon.
Some of the best rims I've run, and this may make people laugh, are some Chinese ones I imported myself from a no name manufacturer.

What a horrible brand name.

Jakmax are the Australian Carlton distributors. Apart from a few things that they sell under their own brand their main business is importing and distributing other brands as well such as Tsumura, ALCO oils, Precision Tooling, Falcon Pumps, Zama, Walbro, Champion, Honda genuine parts, Briggs and Stratton genuine parts, Vallorbe files, Tillotson, Mako Parts, odd Sugihara gear etc etc. Jakmax is just the company name. They have a range of P&C kits labelled Mako and even have a few kits that Baileys haven't got.
I have never ever seen a Jakmax branded rim and I've had an account with them not long after they started. I've order 100's of rims through them and they've all been Carlton branded.

Bahahaha. Just saw how old this thread was yet it bloody linked through to my emails :) Sumfin funny there!

Back