Japanese Maple Cracked Bark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethmac

Reaction score
I'm located in Keller, TX and we planted a Japanese Maple earlier this year. Texas made the news with the freeze this year, but this tree was planted in the spring, after the freeze. We see some leaves browning on the edges and a crack in the bark on one side. I found what appears to be one bag worm, but not thinking that is root cause..only another example of it being under stress and targeted...y'all could tell me better...Any advice would be appreciated.IMG_4279.JPGIMG_4283.JPGIMG_4280.JPGIMG_4277.JPGIMG_4282.JPGIMG_4278.JPG

At this point just maintaining proper tree health is best. Water management, soil test to adjust PH and check fertility as needed. Prune out the dead limb from the canker wound. Leaf fungal issues this late in the season are cosmetic. Don't know where you purchased this tree, it shouldn't have been sold with a obvious large canker on the stem. It however seems to be dormant and healing over.

Latest posts

Back