Japanese maple not fully leafed out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phill2000

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the forum and looking for some help with a new Bloodgood Japanese maple. It was planted last fall as a bailed & burlap transplant. It's about 5-6 feet tall. I live in south-central PA. The tree seems healthy but hasn't fully leafed out yet so I'm a little concerned and wanted to get some guidance on whether anything more is needed to keep the tree healthy.

I watered it regularly in the fall after planting (planted on Veterans' Day 11/11) but I probably didn't start watering early enough in March. Leaves started to appear in late March and have kept slowly appearing, but only about a third of the branches have leaves. I started watering regularly in April - about 5-6 gallons once a week. Other than not having many leaves the tree appears to be healthy. The branches are pliable. I scratched the bark off one and the branch was green.

Should I be concerned and is there anything else I should do to ensure my little tree survives? Thanks for any help!

If the tree was planted properly, only time will tell. Being mid May, all primary buds should have broken. If no warranty on your maple, wait to see if latent buds emerge.

Back