Japanese maple sapling bark damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Goodman

Reaction score
I recently planted a 4 foot Japanese Maple sapling. It's been in the ground about 3 weeks and seems to be doing well. A good bit of new growth! I went out this morning and found that something has nibbled on the bark right at the base. The tree is about 3/4" in diameter and the damage is about 25% around the bark at the base and about 2 inches high. I have made a shield using 2 feet of PVC pipe that now protects the tree. Will it benefit the damage if I seal it with electrical tape wrapping it around the damage? Thanks, Rick Goodman

Looks not to bad for injury

Youll want to keep the mulch from being piled or on the trunk

Also it's important not to plant to deep or mulch to deep the root flare needs to be above final soil level

Looks not to bad for injury

Youll want to keep the mulch from being piled or on the trunk

Also it's important not to plant to deep or mulch to deep the root flare needs to be above final soil level
Thanks for the advice ... I am not letting the mulch touch the trunk at all. It is protected by the PVC pipe, The top of the root ball is just at the surface.

Back