Jasen’s port thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasent

ELR junkie
Reaction score
Thought I’d start a thread on the saws I port.
I’m a beginner in a way. I used to port nitro rc cars back in the day. I’ve now got a power saw addiction. I’ll list the saws I’ve ported and the numbers I use. I do work saws not race saws so all these saws will be “woods ported”. Hopefully it helps someone out and if not it will give you guys something to point and giggle at. All criticism welcome. I’m learning as I go and I’m thick skinned so don’t hold back.

First saw I ported was a ms 361. I got this saw years ago in a trade and being young and dumb I cold seezed it first week I had it. Saw sat for years buried in the shop. Fast forward 10 years and I get my family farm. The place is a wreck and the 40 year old mobile home is rough! Power bill in the winter was often $500 or more! So I put in a wood stove and my dad bought me a ms170 and ms391. That’s where my chainsaw addiction started. After a summer/fall of cutting lodge pole for firewood I started doing research on keeping my saws working well and it lead to an addiction that has put my ELR shooting on the back burner. I’m a landscaper by trade but grew up with a logger/brick layer for a father. I’ve always loved chainsaws and cutting wood.

So I decided to rebuild my 361. I have been following Tinman on YouTube and decided I should port chainsaws. May as well it’s just a bigger rc car motor. Since it would be my first I went with aftermarket farmertec kit and went big bore for the 361. At first I just put the saw together and got it running well ......

Then I put on the degree wheel and started recording numbers. I’d port a hair and put it back together and run it. Then grind a lil more and run it till I decided I’m well over stock and stopped. I did what I call square port where the exhaust duration matched intake duration. 156 for both. Thing rips! I’m hitting 14300 and still 4 stroking good at wot. Still have it a bit fat but I’m leaning out slowly as it breaks in. 8th tank of fuel now. I’ve now ported 6 saws and counting. I’ll list them all and the numbers I chose for each saw.
Hopefully it helps someone and if not it might be entertainment for some. Feel free to give criticism or just poke fun. I can laugh at your posts too

With the 361 running good I decided it was time to try another saw. I got a rough 461 on trade and since it needed so much work I may as well port it too. Piston and cylinder where in good shape and compression wasn’t bad. Stock numbers where with gasket

Exhaust 106

Transfer 136

Intake 71

Squish.047”

I did gasket delete and muffler mod, ported both intake and exhaust and just opened up transfers and cleaned up some edges and minor adjustments

Exhaust 103

Transfer 126

Intake 75

Squish.037

Then I put it back together and fixed the rest of the issues it had. Ran 6 tanks through it now and I’m thinking I may re do it again with a few tweaks I’ve learned and my numbers goal will be

101 exhaust

123 transfer

78 intake.

I don’t have a lathe yet so squish will have to stay put for now

Back