Jerky Pull Cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpcook

Reaction score
Hey all,
I just bought a 250 ms Stihl from my local Ace. After fueling it up and putting the chain oil in I went to start it and the pull cord was extremely jerky. After trying to start a few more time I feared that I had flooded so I took off the spark plug and after doing that it seemed to pull fine. But when I put the spark plug back on it once again became extremely jerky and it was impossible to get a clean pull out of it. What can I do to fix this?

@HansFranz ,ever started a MS250? If you'd tried you would most likely know exactly what he's talking about.

This is a very common complaint with them. I've never seen a solution. Lots of "you have to really pull it" responses. I can't "really pull" mine. Maybe someone can....
and, yes I have a number of other saws and no issues starting them.

Huh. Interesting. I wonder why. A friend of mine has a Stihl somewhere in that size range but I never noticed anything unusual about his...

Huh. Interesting. I wonder why. A friend of mine has a Stihl somewhere in that size range but I never noticed anything unusual about his...
Common thought seems to be that the "pulley" is too small for the engine size coupled with high compression. Lots of threads on here about issues with starting this series saw.

Hardest starting (pull) saw we have. Pull slowly up to compression and then pull "like you really mean it". Not a saw for those who cannot pull oner a saw well. Or get the start assist C model.
That being said it is still one of our best consumer saws due to weight and power. IMHO.

Hardest starting (pull) saw we have.
So, harder than (for example) a 660 with the decomp blocked off?

There's always this option:

iu

...but it might look a little funny on a 250...

You just bought it NEW and it's jerky pull.

Why don't you get it back to them FAST.

That is a common complaint for that saw model and you will have to live with it from now on if you do not return and trade it in on a different model. Do not buy into the theory that it will get better as it run in. Only thing that might get better is your shoulder and arm muscles if you do not rip a ligament first.

All kinds of complaints like yours scattered around on the internet about that model.

I have a pile of Stihls and my like new MS250 is the only one of the pile I usually do not reach for due to your complaint. I slowly bring mine up to the compression then pull through, then immediately come back again. I have to get mean and aggressive with the MS250 and the pull rope feels like it could just break sometimes.
Mine takes several hard pulls when cold and not used used for couple weeks.

Hey all,
I just bought a 250 ms Stihl from my local Ace. After fueling it up and putting the chain oil in I went to start it and the pull cord was extremely jerky. After trying to start a few more time I feared that I had flooded so I took off the spark plug and after doing that it seemed to pull fine. But when I put the spark plug back on it once again became extremely jerky and it was impossible to get a clean pull out of it. What can I do to fix this?
We get lots of these complaints here about the MS250, 025, etc. being hard to pull. Maybe that's why Stihl five years ago brought out the EZ start device that gives you a spring assist. My 251c has it, and it works. I bought mine from its late owner whose widow sold it to me. It's the only saw I have with a mechanical assist like that. Most bigger saws assist you with a decompression valve instead.

Back