JonCutter G3800 Crank Bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arto_wa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been using my JonCutter G3800 quite a bit lately for bucking hybrid poplar trees and the saw has performed very well, but today to my surprise I noticed the crankshaft bearings having excessive axial & radial play in them!

My estimate is about 2 mm axial play, which is way too much - otherwise the saw was still running well, but I decided not to use it until I figure out my options.
It's disappointing since the saw has perhaps 12 - 15 tankfuls of operation.

Oh well, in the meantime it's back to bucking poplars with my trusty 25 year old 16" Shindaiwa 360 which is about the same size saw (36 cc).

It looks like getting spare parts like gaskets, oil seals and bearings may not be so easy to find for G3800 - any suggestions on where to find parts online?

PS. I am also checking out Zenoah and Redmax G3800 part availability since they both seem to be the same basic design saw. Not going to spend too much time repairing this......

Photo.jpg

I’d remove them and see if I could just get the same type of bearings at a local bearing house.

I will probably take it apart this winter and may just keep it as spare parts for another new unused G3800 I had kept on the shelve.

Hopefully the crank bearings on that one will last little longer......

Thinking.jpg

All the Zenoah clones and the originals have slip fit cranks. 3800,GZ 4000 and GZ 4500. The bearing is fixed in the cranckcase and the crank slips in the bearing.

All the Zenoah clones and the originals have slip fit cranks. 3800,GZ 4000 and GZ 4500. The bearing is fixed in the cranckcase and the crank slips in the bearing.

I have run 4 - 5 tankfuls of fuel in the brand new G3800 I mentioned above in post #3 and so far the crank bearings have no noticeable slack or play at all.
The saw performs very well with the modified muffler from saw #1

Back