Jonesred CS2172

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outback1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Jonesred CS2172 2013 model and want to know what your thoughts are on this saw? It won’t be in my hands till next week but just wondering what you all think of this model? Thanks for any feedback good or bad.

I just bought a Jonesred CS2172 2013 model and want to know what your thoughts are on this saw? It won’t be in my hands till next week but just wondering what you all think of this model? Thanks for any feedback good or bad.
Congrats on the purchase.
Good saws as was said.
Some had problems with the crank bearings early on, so just keep it well lubed, most suggest running 40:1 in them.
The limited coils can be difficult for some to tune, I tune up to the limiter and then turn the high in a slight bit further and then run then in wood to see where it's at, and adjust accordingly. If the saw is surging at idle (if the tune is correct/not to rich), they will bump against the timing advance that's built into the coil and surge a little, then come back down, just turn idle down a little to get below the timing advance.

Hope you enjoy the saw.

@pioneerguy600 could you please move this to the chainsaw forum :).

Congrats on the purchase.
Good saws as was said.
Some had problems with the crank bearings early on, so just keep it well lubed, most suggest running 40:1 in them.
The limited coils can be difficult for some to tune, I tune up to the limiter and then turn the high in a slight bit further and then run then in wood to see where it's at, and adjust accordingly. If the saw is surging at idle (if the tune is correct/not to rich), they will bump against the timing advance that's built into the coil and surge a little, then come back down, just turn idle down a little to get below the timing advance.

Hope you enjoy the saw.

@pioneerguy600 could you please move this to the chainsaw forum :).
I have a couple of different ignitions for this as I have a couple of other saws 365 special and a 2065 Jonesred. One of them is blue and the other one is black both for the above saws plus of course the 372 . So would one of those possibly be an unlimited one? I’m leaning about the Jonesred and all information is greatly appreciated.

I have a couple of different ignitions for this as I have a couple of other saws 365 special and a 2065 Jonesred. One of them is blue and the other one is black both for the above saws plus of course the 372 . So would one of those possibly be an unlimited one? I’m leaning about the Jonesred and all information is greatly appreciated.
They say right on them if I'm not mistaken. The black one is most likely unlimited.
I like the limited coils better for power, and it's not a great idea to have that heavy piston free revving real high.

Basically- a red and black Husqvarna 371 that preceded the 372.
Pretty much the same saw as the earlier 2071 with the bonus of side mounted chain tensioner.
Great mid range pro saws with parts still available thanks to the 372 being so popular. Nice saw for a 20-28" 3/8 combination- although some will tell you they run up to 32's no problems- you do what suits you and your timber in your region.
I feel they have the advantage over their orange cousins in being a bit sleeker and more ergonomically cleaner.
Possibly do not command the same retail market prices for resale that the orange ones do- but every bit as good as the orange ones up to the XT model- that equates out to the 2172 Jonsered.

They say right on them if I'm not mistaken. The black one is most likely unlimited.
I like the limited coils better for power, and it's not a great idea to have that heavy piston free revving real high.
I’m going to use the unlimited on the 365 Special and I think I’ll keep the blue one for replacement .
Pretty much the same saw as the earlier 2071 with the bonus of side mounted chain tensioner.
Great mid range pro saws with parts still available thanks to the 372 being so popular. Nice saw for a 20-28" 3/8 combination- although some will tell you they run up to 32's no problems- you do what suits you and your timber in your region.
I feel they have the advantage over their orange cousins in being a bit sleeker and more ergonomically cleaner.
Possibly do not command the same retail market prices for resale that the orange ones do- but every bit as good as the orange ones up to the XT model- that equates out to the 2172 Jonsered.
Thanks for your input and information. I’m planning on a 24” bar but may try a 26” so I don’t have to bend as much as I’m 63 but in good fit shape. I have a few extra parts such as carb air filter etc. I would like to know if they ever made the higher air filter like Husqvarna has as that would be a benefit and what type of muffler mod should be done? I like my saws to run strong and most of the time that means porting. I’m also curious if I could switch it over to a standard 372 rather than an X-Torq version without a headache doing so?

Pretty sure it's an xtorq.
We need pictures anyway.:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Pretty sure it's an xtorq.
We need pictures anyway.:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Yep you are correct- the OP is about a 2172 and my brain read it as 2171!~Maybe there is a reason I am still wearing the armband after being discharged from hospital yesterday!
Yes the 2172 equals the 372 XT and probably has a cat muffler that needs gutted or replaced!

Yep you are correct- the OP is about a 2172 and my brain read it as 2171!~Maybe there is a reason I am still wearing the armband after being discharged from hospital yesterday!
Yes the 2172 equals the 372 XT and probably has a cat muffler that needs gutted or replaced!
Man, hope you're okay bud.
Mine have never had cat mufflers on them, just some of the smaller 3 series saws.

Ah well your allowed one seizure every 50 odd years arent you? :innocent:
Looks like I did reading my post, it's fixed now to make reading it easier for those who aren't having seizures :oops:.
I don't know what the rules are, but there are things going on in society that could certainly cause one to have some sort of health issue.
Hope you're feeling better, and you figure out what caused it, and can avoid problems in the future.

I checked today and the ones I have do not say limited or unlimited just have the Husqvarna part#. I’m using the unlimited air gapped to.305mm. Manual that I gave calls for.3mm but I just have .305mm so I’m right there with the adjustment.

2172 is a very nice and good saw. I have regret many times that I sold mine.
I've sold a few, and a few 2166's, 2165's, 2171's too. No regrets about it though, they are good saws, just prefer an angled handlebar. I've done a lot of cutting with the jreds though.

Attachments

• 20200120_234044.jpg
    20200120_234044.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200412_144308.jpg
    20200412_144308.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I've sold a few, and a few 2166's, 2165's, 2171's too. No regrets about it though, they are good saws, just prefer an angled handlebar. I've done a lot of cutting with the jreds though.

Me, I bat with the other hand- I will sell orange saws with angled wraps in order to secure a superior wrapped red and black saw! :)

Back