Jonsered 2077

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekcutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hii everyone. I posted last year about this saw and that we were going to rebuild the carb and drill/tap the cylinder casting boss for a decomp release. After taking the cylinder off my friend informed me that the piston had a score marked caused by a burr left on the lower edge of the exhaust port opening. I ordered a new aftermarket piston and carb kit. He has it all re-assembled but told me 2 days ago that it has what appears to be a weak spark (more yellow than white). No start. He has cleaned the surface rust off all of the rotating parts that are related but still no go. The saw ran good at full throttle before disassembly (but wouldn't idle). Other than a weak coil will someone chime in and make some suggestions to check. Thanks for your help.

In my experience thus far, coils usually go bad over a period of time- and most often while the saw is in running condition- not sitting in a shop undergoing repairs.
Stray earthing on the other hand, dead simple to cause those when you pull a saw apart and slap it back together again, if you pinch a wire somewhere.
Number one place I would suspect on a 2077 is top right of the recoil cover- there is a wire running into the air box ducting about there that is real simple to scrunch when replacing the air diverter and recoil cover- it sits just to the left of that funny angular top oddball AV these things have between the top of the case and top of the tank/air box.
Having said that- a stray earth will kill spark (equivalent of having the kill switch on kill), not weaken the spark colour.
Your friend did try a new plug eh?
Have you considered finding a new friend?

Yeah, he tried a new plug. I will forward the above answer to him (he lives 37 miles from me) and have him double check for pinched wires. Thanks.
You still using the green coil that come in those? I have a few if needed. I've used partner 5000 and Husky 55 coils in them too.

Parts saws for those.

ppartsstash.jpg

Hi Redneck. I finally picked the 2077 up today. There was no coil problem. He did take it back apart, took out the base gasket because compression was too low and did a base gasket delete, .027 thou squish now. Once it was running it would not idle. He finally found that someone (I bought the saw about 9 years ago off of a member here that had also bought it used) had previously had the carb off and one screw was too short and would not let the carb set tight when the screws were snugged up. We did a carb adjust while I had cutting it in a big, dead ash log behind his house. Runs pretty good.

But here's a question. That saw has always had just one side plate under the clutch cover since my purchase. My 2052 has 2. I looked up a Jonsered parts schematic and it only shows one side plate in the exploded view, the inside one with the oil hole. No plate on the clutch cover bar side. Is that really correct? Or does it get 2 like just about every other saw? If it requires 2, where is a reliable source to get one?

I only use this saw when a farmer buddy needs some bigger trees or logs handled. Thanks for your help. Ed

Thanks, I did buy a plastic cover from a member here because the old metal one was cracked between the bolt holes. I'll make sure to get an outer plate. Got any you'd like to part with?

Back