Jonsered 2152 bar oil leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snojetter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've got two 2152's and both leak bar oil. Yes, I know lots of saws leak a little bit. Some of mine I can store on their side to negate the leak; others I store bar "up." These 2152's I can store bar "down" to prevent the leak, but I'd like to fix the leak if possible. I also have opened the oil cap to relieve pressure and that didn't work. This isn't a major Exxon Valdez-type spill, but it's enough of a leak to leave a puddle about 2-3" diameter overnight when sitting upright. I tore one of the saws down to the oil pump and it appears it's coming from where the pump meets the rubber hose (see photo - note the pump screw has been removed, it's not actually missing). The oil looks to be pooling underneath that "seal" and then gravity brings it down to pool in the void underneath the pump part number.

The obvious answer is to replace the hose. But before I spend $15 on the replacement part, my question is if this is indeed the typical point of a leak on these saws or if perhaps there is a weak spot in the casting itself that is prone to leaking and requires a different fix (or perhaps no fix at all - just live with it)?

As a side note, I have a pair of 2150's which do not leak at all. Being plastic cases vs. metal, and having a bit of a different oil line arrangement, I wonder if the 2150 design just seals better. What does the collective wisdom think?

Attachments

• 20210318_175204.jpg
    20210318_175204.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back