Jonsered 521 E No Start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmkberger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a newbie and a home owner with a Jonsered 521E that I aquired after a dear friend of mine passed away in January. The saw has been in storage for quite a while and will not start. I have to say that I have had it running, but it will not start when it is all put together as it should. My thought is that there is a problem in the fuel pump or carburetor.... I have disassembled the carb and have checked the fuel pump the best I know how without instruction.
I can say the carb was in fairly decent shape with minimal debris inside. I took the carb completely apart and cleaned everything with carb cleaner, I pulled the pump and tried to blow through it, and like I think it's supposed to, it did not allow me to blow through, but if I sucked on the outlet it would allow little amounts of air to pass through.
Where can I buy the fuel pump or a fuel pump kit and where can I get a carb rebuild kit?
I'm a 45 year professional mechanic and have worked on my own motorcycles for decades, both four and two stroke bikes as well as lawn mowers and anything that has a piston and makes noise...
Could someone out there give me a push in the right direction for getting the rebuild kits and info on what I might be missing?
Thanks so much, dmkberger

I would start by getting the owner's manual, the shop manual, and the parts list...if you don't already have them. You can ask for them in The Beg For Manual thread on this site.

What does the saw do when you dump half a teaspoon of mixed gas down the plug hole, and try to start it?

What make/model of carb do you have?

Roy

I would start by getting the owner's manual, the shop manual, and the parts list...if you don't already have them. You can ask for them in The Beg For Manual thread on this site.

What does the saw do when you dump half a teaspoon of mixed gas down the plug hole, and try to start it?

What make/model of carb do you have?

Roy
If I put fuel in the carb, it starts right up. When I took the carb off to clean it, I pulled the rope and it started and reved like a new one... I will have to look for the Beg for the Manual Thread. I truly appreciate your input irhunter!
I will have to look at the carb to get the info on the carb and I'll be back! In my best Arnold Swartzenegger impersonation....

That's good news about the saw running with poured-in gas. The three things which come to mind are check the fuel line, check the impulse hose/nipple/whatnot, and then do that carb kit.

I often buy carb kits on ebay...but, I am careful to buy only OEM kits from somewhat-known sources. I have come to the conclusion that buying the full kit is a better option that trying to get along with just a diaphragm/seal kit.

Roy

Rk 23 hs is the carb kit. Might also be fuel filter and line. Those saws have a lining in the tank that with time and especially ethanol fuel flake off and plug the filter sometimes getting sucked into the carb.
Ccc conservation has oem tilly kits

Rk 23 hs is the carb kit. Might also be fuel filter and line. Those saws have a lining in the tank that with time and especially ethanol fuel flake off and plug the filter sometimes getting sucked into the carb.
Ccc conservation has oem tilly kits
I am impressed with the response to my dilema on this site! The fuel filter is like new and flows like a garden hose. I'm gonna look up the carb kit and see if I can get this saw running, so I can cut up a couple of trees for fire wood. It's that time of year you know and I got a heck of a deal on two trailer loads of Eucalyptus which is about four feet around and seasoned very well. It came from the golf course here in Lake Havasu and some lady was fed up with it sitting next to her house blocking the parking for her motorhome, she gave it to me! I paid her 14 year old son $20.00 for helping me load the trailer on load one.
I'm gonna see if I can find that carb kit, but what about the "fuel pump"? Is there a kit to repair or replace it?

Awrite.......first you obviously have fire......now as earlier stated go over the fuel line carefully by eye or if you have a mighty vac, pressure and vac test the line. Now we're at the carb itself. Buy a OEM tillotson RK 23 HS carb kit......don't bother with a cheap imitation....might work...might not and if it does it work it won't for very long. With the H&L needles removed insert the red straw on a can of WD 40 into the holes and while holding the throttle plate open spray and watch... first the low side....WD should come out of two holes in the carb bore....plentiful. Next do the same on the high side...only one hole here....again should be plentiful. If these don't respond as stated you need to ask the next question. Now on to reassembly. On the top it's thin pump piece first then the gasket.....on the bottom...first install the new inlet valve, metering lever and spring......be very careful of the spring...if they get stretched, stepped on etc. they are done....very fragile and very important. The metering lever needs to be totally flush with the surrounding carb bottom. This will need to be done by bending the metering lever until it is so.....in the relaxed state. Then it's the gasket then the diaphragm. Set both H&L needles to one turn out from just seated. Never over tighten...but you probably already know this. Should start in a half dozen pulls and tune from there. 521 is an awesome saw......the absolute Cadillac of the Jonsereds 50CC saw line....love those two speed heated handles!!!!

I am impressed with the response to my dilema on this site! The fuel filter is like new and flows like a garden hose. I'm gonna look up the carb kit and see if I can get this saw running, so I can cut up a couple of trees for fire wood. It's that time of year you know and I got a heck of a deal on two trailer loads of Eucalyptus which is about four feet around and seasoned very well. It came from the golf course here in Lake Havasu and some lady was fed up with it sitting next to her house blocking the parking for her motorhome, she gave it to me! I paid her 14 year old son $20.00 for helping me load the trailer on load one.
I'm gonna see if I can find that carb kit, but what about the "fuel pump"? Is there a kit to repair or replace it?
HaHaHa........heated handles in AZ!!!! There is no separate fuel pump...it's in the top part of the afore mentioned carb rebuild post.

Okay, so here's the latest. I ordered an OEM Carb Kit and went through the carb and the darn thing runs like a new one! I have to thank you guys for the help in getting to the right people and places to locate the carb kit that I needed and not one of the "fits multiple" carb kits that are china knock offs. I also got my Homelight 150 carb apart and found that the "gas tank" IS the body of the dang thing and the moron I bought it from had tried to use JB Weld as a gasket.... So, I blew it apart and got the gasket surfaces back to what they should have been and got a proper gasket, and it too runs like a new one and does NOT leak gas like a seive any more!!!!
God Bless you guys for the help you've given a newbie chainsaw tech!

Latest posts

Back