Jonsered 52E Vs 49SP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonsered-52E

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Newbie here... Ive used saws for a few years but I don know the difference. What is the difference between the 52e and the 49sp ive heard the 49 has one ring which it does and the 52 hast two rings which I dont know yet. Is that the only difference between the too.
Edward

Thanks, @sundance I see that you have 2 49sp´s. Mine has a red top and toke the top off a 52e and it looks like a 52e. Is this stock/factory?

52e closed, 49sp open. Also 52e is electronic ign and 49sp is points.
Been a while since I played with these, I'd post this inquiry in the Jonsereds thread if you want more detail.

Or conjure up a guru on the subject, lol... @taplinhill @Cantdog
I'll display my ignorance.....which is better, what's the difference?

This winter im going to build it as a new 52E saw. Will a 52E piston fit without and mods?

49 and 52 share alot of parts together.
49 is the "semi" pro vs the 52e which is a pro saw. As mentioned before 49 is points. 52e is electronic. They share alot of parts. 49 is open port and 52e is closed port as mentioned. The 52e also has more rpms.
I don't see where putting a 52e piston won't work but I also don't see where it would benefit anything in a 49sp cylinder besides. And a 52e is 2 rings so performance wise isn't a single better no?

49 and 52 share alot of parts together.
49 is the "semi" pro vs the 52e which is a pro saw. As mentioned before 49 is points. 52e is electronic. They share alot of parts. 49 is open port and 52e is closed port as mentioned. The 52e also has more rpms.
I don't see where putting a 52e piston won't work but I also don't see where it would benefit anything in a 49sp cylinder besides. And a 52e is 2 rings so performance wise isn't a single better no?
Okay, thanks. Could I make the 49 closed port? What is the difference? Would it have for power? Or would i need a 52 block? What are some things i could do to make this engine have more power? Thanks for the help.

I’d see if a 52e cylinder and piston will bolt on. I’ve never worked on one so I’m not familiar with what fits and what doesn’t. And then maybe have that ported.
Okay, how much would you charge to have it ported and where is the shop?

Latest posts

Back