Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the 90 oil pump I took apart the holes under the small 0-rings were clogged...every one. I would check this out on yours.....if those holes are clogged there is no where for the pumped oil to go but blow by the wimpiest seal.....which would likely be the one on the brass portion.
Like I said earlier, great candidate for ultrasonic bath time with a good chem. That way you know all the passages are clean and then you're down to the correct O-rings.

Kevin

I realized after re-reading my previous post attempting to explain how this pump functions that I had left out a rather important explanation of how the pump adjustment is achieved. This actually has more to do with the outer most small o-ring than I had said.
So you have the adjusting screw with it's tiny o-ring held in place by a flat head screw then the is a plastic plunger or sleeve that slides in the internal bore of the body against a spring that keeps the whole adjustment system under tension. Now as the adjustment screw is screwed in this pushes the plastic plunger down the bore. At some point the plunger passes by the two holes under the small o-ring and seals off the pressure release system. At this point the oiler is at maximum output as there is now nowhere for the pumped oil to go except to the bar. As the screw is adjusted out the plunger starts to expose the holes, releasing pressure and oiling falls off.......the further you adjust out the less oil goes to the bar and more oil is returned to the tank until the holes are totally exposed and you are now at the least oil to the bar. This all is contingent on all the o-rings and sealing surfaces are in good, clean functioning order. Kevin is right...this would be a good candidate to soak in the UC for a while. But is not as complicated as, say, a carb....the passages are all through bored so no blind stops or anything....the holes under the o-rings are rather large. I cleaned them up with a # 62 jet bit but thought even that was slightly loose...I think a regular 1/16" drill bit would work fine.
A lot of other oil pumps adjust the amount of oil pumped by altering/adjusting the length of the pump shaft stroke......these pumps don't....they pump at a constant rate varying with rpm. This is all happening at lightening speed as every revolution of the crankshaft is one complete cycle of the oil pump......which means that if the saw motor is turning 10,000 rpm the pump is cycling 166.6 times a second!!!!

IMG_1589.jpg

Wow!! They went to town on the bottom of those cases.:omg: Just goes to show the continuing hype with eBay pricing. Not that many yrs ago you could have had that saw delivered to your door from an eBay sale for $50.

This isn't to say of course, he'll get his $99.95+ & shipping.

Kevin

Wow!! They went to town on the bottom of those cases.:omg: Just goes to show the continuing hype with eBay pricing. Not that many yrs ago you could have had that saw delivered to your door from an eBay sale for $50.

This isn't to say of course, he'll get his $99.95+ & shipping.

Kevin
Looks like she got her bid on that bomb.

This old 80 sure looks like it's cut a lot of wood....don't think I've ever seen so much JB Weld on a saw before!!!!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/403169317905?hash=item5ddec39411:g:ZZ0AAOSwN0xhRQen
That seller was mentioned in another recent thread.
Sold probably hundreds/thousands of saws by now over many years but all have the same description that they got it at an estate sale and knows nothing about saws.
I guess that's possible but...
Yuh, right...

Good disclaimer to defend against scammers I guess.

That seller was mentioned in another recent thread.
Sold probably hundreds/thousands of saws by now over many years but all have the same description that they got it at an estate sale and knows nothing about saws.
I guess that's possible but...
Yuh, right...

Good disclaimer to defend against scammers I guess.
Interesting! I wonder if they are even female or posing as one....or selling through one.

Might even be that same seller that sold me an 80 once that was filled with water in the crankcase. Said in the description, "Pulls like it has compression." Yeah, because if was full of water and sand.:nofunny:

Kevin

In your dealings, did you think it was a woman?

Kevin
Pretty hard to tell.......I watched it go through one whole auction cycle at $50 starting bid + shipping with no bites. Then a couple days later it was back with $50.. BIN or best offer.
I offered $30.00 and we settled at $40.00......no real way to tell gender of the seller. Pizz poor packing job but did arrive undamaged.

I’m pretty sure it is a woman but there are possibly a few people working together. When I started collecting I bought about 10 saws or more from that seller. Most were decent but about 3 or 4 were never shipped and they don’t really respond to inquiries, no tracking etc.
Finally after about a month a refund was always issued but brutal seller in my opinion. I won’t waste my time with them ever again.

Nos jons 920 score
Surprisingly this one made it here with working chain brake, rather than the usual hand guard for our market
303abdd27aa9ea5651d893394b606033.jpg
f2952f5286b6e5cacd3e039a60bd8181.jpg

Sent from my INE-LX2r using Tapatalk

Nos jons 920 score
Surprisingly this one made it here with working chain brake, rather than the usual hand guard for our market
303abdd27aa9ea5651d893394b606033.jpg
f2952f5286b6e5cacd3e039a60bd8181.jpg

Sent from my INE-LX2r using Tapatalk
Whoa, Robin....you can't get any better than NOS!!! Looks Eeeeeexpensive these days....hope you didn't have to give up the farm for it....lol.

Look at that handle wrap material.....puuuuurfect.

Kevin

That's a beauty 920. My old man had one when I was about five or six.
Well sh**, that made me feel old...lol!

I was given a 910 to try out for a day on a loggin' show. The saw shop had already sold me a totally rebuilt 80 that ran like no other 80 I've seen since. The 910 had a lot of plastic(for that time) and it really didn't run circles around the 80 I had. Soooooo, they got no sale from me....plus they were expensive saws!

Now I have three 910's all in different stages of completion.........some day.

Kevin

Whoa, Robin....you can't get any better than NOS!!! Looks Eeeeeexpensive these days....hope you didn't have to give up the farm for it....lol.

Look at that handle wrap material.....puuuuurfect.

Kevin
They were definitely way ahead of their time, husky wouldn't be where it is right now if it wasn't for jonsered.

Lol, thing is mint

Back