Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't think about the particular serial number to each saw on the tag ...that would make sense they wouldn't be available individually.

Ernie
I can see where the 'not so honest' types would have a field day with serial tags from the manufacturer.

On the original serials from Jonsereds.....Magnus on his site has set up a kind of directory that at least gives a date order and where your saws may have fallen into a production order. Other than that, we've never been able to decode their number system. The Husky/Jonsered system I think is more understandable.

Kevin

Well at least the work was tastefully done.

Someone contacted me today looking for a flywheel for a 70E, I've lost track of a few folks that have helped me in the past. Any suggestion on where to look/who to contact would be appreciated.

Mark
Flywheel or flywheel fan? Fans are being reproduced well with 3D printing.....

Kevin

I didn't know scoring on the 2095's was a 'thing'. I suspect due to their higher-rpm running, some folks are inadvertently skimping on the oil mix. Not a good thing even with Stihl Ultra.....use 40:1and forgetaboutit.

Kevin

Hi Mark.....I assume you are looking for the plastic fan rather than the later aluminum one. There are two plastic ones and one alum one presently on ebay but the plastic ones are expensive. There was a guy on here 3D printing them a awile back but I can't recall his name/contact info......perhaps someone else can. They seemed to work fine.
Yeah, I had his info once.....not having a 70e, I had no reason to keep the info. He works with a million-dollar 3D printer and was encouraged to experiment with it. Interesting story and the end results were darn nice repro fans that held up.

Kevin

I was glad to get this one at a decent price. I’m curious about the muffler on the eBay saw. Never saw one like that.
View attachment 1068148View attachment 1068149View attachment 1068150
Nice 70E! The muffler on the ebay saw was the latest version of a spark arresting muffler used on the 621 and 66/70E. There is a pocket screen behind the SS louvre. They had them of the same design for the 49sp/52/52E and the 910/920 etc though some of the larger saws exited lower.

Nice 70E! The muffler on the ebay saw was the latest version of a spark arresting muffler used on the 621 and 66/70E. There is a pocket screen behind the SS louvre. They had them of the same design for the 49sp/52/52E and the 910/920 etc though some of the larger saws exited lower.
Thanks Robin. I knew you’d know. I only have a 49sp, a 52, 70e, & my 2094. The first three have the same style older muffler.
Don’t tell my wife but if I only kept these four saws I would get by fine.

Don't see these much........only made two years......quite a price he's asking.!! It's in slightly better condition than the one I got a while back. I'm still on the hunt for a replacement top handle for mine. I only paid $90.00 as it was listed as a 601....many many more 601's around. Anyway we'll see what he ends up getting gor it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2661832026...27Ihh3IhClIp3+TME11yYGYvOO|tkp:Bk9SR8ycjJLhYQ

I kinda doubt he'll get that.....we'll see!

Although rare, I really like the bottom louver mufflers on the 801/80/90. There are probably more saws that muffler would fit?

On a lot of saws, muffler mods do very little if anything. In this family, I think they wake up the saws a bit. I wished I could find a bottom louver muffler for my 90 as I have on the 80. My 90 does outperform my 80, but only by a small degree. After running that 80 for 40+ yrs, it's always been kind of a hot rod.....especially compared to the 80's I see on YouTube. I know the people that rebuilt it....no porting done that I know of or anything special but OE parts.

My 90 is the smoothest running saw I have and the easiest to start. However, seems like it's lazy/asleep compared to my 80. I guess I should try a muffler swap and see what happens.:surprised3:

Kevin

Attachments

• 80 louver.jpg
    80 louver.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 0
I kinda doubt he'll get that.....we'll see!

Although rare, I really like the bottom louver mufflers on the 801/80/90. There are probably more saws that muffler would fit?

On a lot of saws, muffler mods do very little if anything. In this family, I think they wake up the saws a bit. I wished I could find a bottom louver muffler for my 90 as I have on the 80. My 90 does outperform my 80, but only by a small degree. After running that 80 for 40+ yrs, it's always been kind of a hot rod.....especially compared to the 80's I see on YouTube. I know the people that rebuilt it....no porting done that I know of or anything special but OE parts.

My 90 is the smoothest running saw I have and the easiest to start. However, seems like it's lazy/asleep compared to my 80. I guess I should try a muffler swap and see what happens.:surprised3:

Kevin
I have it my ebay watch list so the seller sent me an offer.......$655 and with shipping it would only be $687.00........LOL!

One nice thing about those louvered 621/70E and 49/52 mufflers is they come with a seperate heavy muffler cover that keeps them from all those dents that all the other mufflers acquire over time.
I bet if you put one of those west coast mufflers like in your pic on the 90 you'll be able feel a\the difference.

I have it my ebay watch list so the seller sent me an offer.......$655 and with shipping it would only be $687.00........LOL!

One nice thing about those louvered 621/70E and 49/52 mufflers is they come with a seperate heavy muffler cover that keeps them from all those dents that all the other mufflers acquire over time.
I bet if you put one of those west coast mufflers like in your pic on the 90 you'll be able feel a\the difference.
I'm hoping so......be a fun experiment.....although if it works in the saw's favor, I'll just want to find another bottom louver muffler....lol!

The Husky 2100 has a muffler cover....I think it should be standard fare on commercial saws.

Kevin

Slightly off topic question regarding crankcases & sealants for you experienced saw mechanics. Something I've been thinking about while I'm considering the possibility I may have to split the case on my 451EV.

When replacing the gasket on a case where there was a gasket from the factory, with something like Yama or Hondabond/Motoseal/Dirko, doesn't the lost width of the gasket affect tolerances everywhere else on the saw? Seems to me that even a few mm of thickness lost would cause downstream issues with things lining up etc. Am I off in my thinking here?

Slightly off topic question regarding crankcases & sealants for you experienced saw mechanics. Something I've been thinking about while I'm considering the possibility I may have to split the case on my 451EV.

When replacing the gasket on a case where there was a gasket from the factory, with something like Yama or Hondabond/Motoseal/Dirko, doesn't the lost width of the gasket affect tolerances everywhere else on the saw? Seems to me that even a few mm of thickness lost would cause downstream issues with things lining up etc. Am I off in my thinking here?
What I will tell you is that it's done. IMO, I wouldn't do it because it does affect tolerances on the crank. Whether or not that's critical, some would say no.

Kevin

I'm still leaning to not doing it, I'm just toying with the idea, and thinking ahead if I decide it's important enough to do it. I'm currently stuck at the fuel tank stripping and sealing step. The project is moving at a snails pace with the one to two hours I have per week to dedicate to it.

I have no experience in not using the case gasket. I don't see the advantage of deleting it other than if you can't find an OE gasket, they're kind of a pain to make. It's certainly not a performance thing like deleting the base gasket and figuring squish etc.

Kevin

Back