Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.........does anyone in here have or know anyone that has any 751 parts??

They were only made for a couple of years were they not? And in the same era I was- so getting old and worn out......

Best of luck, but it aint going to be an easy find. :)

They were only made for a couple of years were they not? And in the same era I was- so getting old and worn out......

Well....according to Acres they started as the XM 75 in '67 and became the XM 751 in '68 until '70....so yeah if you include the 75....3 years of production. Been looking for years and finally grabbed a mislabled one off ebay....was called a 601...but I knew better from the pics. It'll be here Monday. Pretty fair condition.... bought it on a best offer. It was missing the clutch cover......found one in great condition also on ebay...best offer.....that will be here Tuesday....LOL!!!

I should add that I was extreamly fortunate to find a near mint (but used) clutch cover at the same time I needed one. From what I've read they are near impossible to find in any condition!! I believe this is true....at the time I bought the cover there were only three 751 specific items on ebay.....now there are only two...!!! One nice thing is the 751 uses the same seals, rings, points/condensor, clutch drum and carb kits as later the Jonsereds.

I should add that I was extreamly fortunate to find a near mint (but used) clutch cover at the same time I needed one. From what I've read they are near impossible to find in any condition!! I believe this is true....at the time I bought the cover there were only three 751 specific items on ebay.....now there are only two...!!! One nice thing is the 751 uses the same seals, rings, points/condensor, clutch drum and carb kits as later the Jonsereds.
Unless something proprietary is broken, you should be fine on getting 'er runnin'. Just go in your Jonsereds green box collection for parts...ha!

Good score on the clutch cover.....good ol' eBay....you can look for yrs and then see three in one week of something rare....old story!

I looked for an Oregon rim drive clutch drum for the 111S for over a yr and then one day on eBay there were two, one in an original box!

Kevin

The 751 arrived today.....so did the clutch cover.....actually the cover arrived first! The cover is great.....real decent paint for a 55 year old clutch cover!! The saw is in pretty good over all condition.....didn't find any stripped threads etc. BUT......when I opened the door of the shop to let the UPS guy in I could instantly smell that stale, varnishy stench......tank is a mess inside but not the first I've had to deal with. The top handle is in rough shape......don't know if I can force it back into it's correct shape on the press or not. Have to be on the hunt for a replacement.....
Other than that the rest of the saw will clean up real nice I think....get some pics tomorrow...

I was able to pick up two Tillotson HK-12A carbs from a later run of the 451, both had metal metering modules. I've rebuilt one and it held 6 PSI for several minutes. I think I should be good there.

Now of course when there is one step forward, there is at least one back. I was was taking a closer look at my piston and noticed a scratch on the intake side skirt. No idea how it happened, it hasn't been dropped and I've kept it isolated, although out of a storage bag. It's not too deep, but enough that it's perceptible with a finger nail. There was a slight burr that I was able to polish off with a combo of very fine followed by ultra finish Scotch-Brite pads.

I think I know the answer, but it's the anything else I can do to repair this or am I excessively worrying about it?
IMG20230130210606.jpg

I was able to pick up two Tillotson HK-12A carbs from a later run of the 451, both had metal metering modules. I've rebuilt one and it held 6 PSI for several minutes. I think I should be good there.

Now of course when there is one step forward, there is at least one back. I was was taking a closer look at my piston and noticed a scratch on the intake side skirt. No idea how it happened, it hasn't been dropped and I've kept it isolated, although out of a storage bag. It's not too deep, but enough that it's perceptible with a finger nail. There was a slight burr that I was able to polish off with a combo of very fine followed by ultra finish Scotch-Brite pads.

I think I know the answer, but it's the anything else I can do to repair this or am I excessively worrying about it?
View attachment 1053556
Run 'er......is my advice.... minuscule damage. Unless the skirt is misshapen or severely scored.... usually they polish up fine and go back into duty. The shape and what remains of the skirt's thickness are more important than anything.

Kevin

I gutted the white plug from it and installed a green poulan duckbill valve in it. We'll see how it works.
The Swedes seriously overthought the venting systems. A gas-proof grommet and an Echo-type vent are all the tank really needs. That's the fix for the Husky 2100 and any Swede saw with a top tank vent can benefit from the same type of quick configuration.

The whole deal with the check valve and a tube running into the clutch chamber with a sintered bronze filter at the end is nice & all, but not necessary to run.

Kevin

The 751 arrived today.....so did the clutch cover.....actually the cover arrived first! The cover is great.....real decent paint for a 55 year old clutch cover!! The saw is in pretty good over all condition.....didn't find any stripped threads etc. BUT......when I opened the door of the shop to let the UPS guy in I could instantly smell that stale, varnishy stench......tank is a mess inside but not the first I've had to deal with. The top handle is in rough shape......don't know if I can force it back into it's correct shape on the press or not. Have to be on the hunt for a replacement.....
Other than that the rest of the saw will clean up real nice I think....get some pics tomorrow...
You know the drill better than anyone, Robin. Laquer thinner and BB's or whatever has worked for you in the past!

If the handle is mag.....gonna be tough to force it back into shape.....yep, need to source another if that effort fails.

Kevin

Whoa....sorry about that. If you're vaccinated and boosted, will at worst be like the flu and at best just a passing discomfort.

Kevin
Oh yeah vacced and boosted......the bride tested positive yeaterday but I tested neg then but not today. Head feels like fuzz ball....very mild fever....as you said, more like a mild flu.....starting Paxlovid tonight...should be a short down time taking it easy. Dodged the bullet for three years.....oh well.....

Back