Jonsered cs2252 broken top cylinder fin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartDalb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey folks

Got my hands on a used, and sadly a little abused jonsered cs2252, model with electronic carb.

Got it running again, but noticed, among other things that it has a broken fin, at the top of the cylinder, near the spark plug and decomp valve.
See pictures.

What is your take on this? Will it be an issue, or just make it Nice and smooth and run the saw?
Cosmetic problem or will it be an issue heat wise?

Sharp eyes will also notice the burnt bar, oil worm was broken and oiler was stuck, that is sorted out.

Other than that, the decomp valve was broken, and the top Black lid from that was melted and is covering parts of the cylinder fins, I Will clean that up. The decomp was replaced.

Any thoughts? :bowdown:

DSC_2245.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_2249.JPG
    DSC_2249.JPG
    913.7 KB · Views: 0
Should not be a problem as long as you keep the fins and air passages clean.

I was hoping for this, it is a nice saw, but it does need some work. :cheers:

Take a look at this melted plastic thingy, I suspect that it is from the top of the broken decomp valve, but it sure is a lot!

Attachments

• DSC_2258.JPG
    DSC_2258.JPG
    585.4 KB · Views: 0
I was hoping for this, it is a nice saw, but it does need some work. :cheers:

Take a look at this melted plastic thingy, I suspect that it is from the top of the broken decomp valve, but it sure is a lot!

What does the top cover look like inside? All that melted goop looks a bit like top cover plastic.
Now if the saw had something heavy fall on it or run over it, that would explain the broken top cooling fin, but it would have smashed the top cover as well. If the saw was run afterwards, the top cover being broken may have been contacting the cylinder and melted.
Previous owner got that job finished- went home, found a new top cover for the saw and sold it?

What does the top cover look like inside? All that melted goop looks a bit like top cover plastic.
Now if the saw had something heavy fall on it or run over it, that would explain the broken top cooling fin, but it would have smashed the top cover as well. If the saw was run afterwards, the top cover being broken may have been contacting the cylinder and melted.
Previous owner got that job finished- went home, found a new top cover for the saw and sold it?

That is possible, but the seller was an elderly chap, seemed descent and honest.
And I was near given the saw for free, price wise.

Take a look at top cover and decomp valve.

The valve is completely broken, top is gone and it is loose. It is the main reason he could not start the saw, since it was litterally set to open decomp valve permanently.

Attachments

• DSC_2259.JPG
    DSC_2259.JPG
    978.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_2260.JPG
    DSC_2260.JPG
    952.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_2262.JPG
    DSC_2262.JPG
    709.9 KB · Views: 0
Wondering if I am better off taking the cylinder off completely and clean it up.
It is not easy trying to scrape this stuff off....

My biggest worry would be how hot he has gotten that saw. I hope he used good oil or else you may have bigger issues down the road. Other than that less fins equal lighter saw..lol

My biggest worry would be how hot he has gotten that saw. I hope he used good oil or else you may have bigger issues down the road. Other than that less fins equal lighter saw..lol
I Will check the piston tonite, felt like solid compression and it ran well.

Im picking the top cover has been replaced- smash the top fin and the decomp- odds are pretty good the cover was at least cracked when it happened.
Something black and plastic has melted to the fins at the back of the cylinder- if not top cover then back of the airbox/carb mount?

Removed the carb, carb wall, manifold etc. Nothing has been burned.
Honestly, the saw looks to have very little use on it?
Pictures in a few hours. :picture:

Thanks for All the replies btw! :bowdown::clap:

Here we go..

How much more should I clean that cylinder?

Attachments

• DSC_2263.JPG
    DSC_2263.JPG
    815.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_2264.JPG
    DSC_2264.JPG
    838 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_2265.JPG
    DSC_2265.JPG
    747.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_2266.JPG
    DSC_2266.JPG
    660.6 KB · Views: 0
I bought several 2252/2253 saws when Husky was shutting down the Jonsered line and retailers were dumping them. They are excellent saws, the same as Husky 545/550XPs. The only issue was they could get hard to start in hot weather. Husky started putting a cooling slot behind the decomp valve and trimming the cover a little around the cooling fins to help the problem. I don’t know how hot it gets where you live but you can easily make those mods your self if you have problems. I actually bought relacement Husky covers that had the cooling slots, that way I also got falling lines as well. Do a mufflermod and you have a great saw.
Here in the states you can still find them new occassionaly but the prices have gone back up.

I bought several 2252/2253 saws when Husky was shutting down the Jonsered line and retailers were dumping them. They are excellent saws, the same as Husky 545/550XPs. The only issue was they could get hard to start in hot weather. Husky started putting a cooling slot behind the decomp valve and trimming the cover a little around the cooling fins to help the problem. I don’t know how hot it gets where you live but you can easily make those mods your self if you have problems. I actually bought relacement Husky covers that had the cooling slots, that way I also got falling lines as well. Do a mufflermod and you have a great saw.
Here in the states you can still find them new occassionaly but the prices have gone back up.

I do belive it will be a nice saw, once I have finished.
But...putting it back together, I honestly like working on the Stihl MS261 with M-tronic rather than the way this Jonsered autotune setup is made. Especially the "carb" wall with the manifold attached to it, what a pain! :mad:

Hot air gun and a scraper should get rid of most the solids off the fins, wire brush or wire brush in a drill chuck should clean up what is left.
Solid advice, thanks!

Got like 90% cleaned off, that was enough for me, for now anyways.

There is no longer any big black marks with plastic on it, might be a lil here and there, along side some dirt, but that can be cleaned up some other day.

I need it back together and running now, the oil/worm was stripped and I need a replacement first.
The oil pump was rather hard to get going again, would not turn easily. I wonder if he simply just ran the saw without bar oil, before and after breaking the oiler and burning the bar up.

Had to do a little work on a carb kit, where I live there is no easy way to find a cheap carb kit for these newer models, it is VERY expensive to buy the OEM in Denmark, sadly.
The Walbro WTE fits, with a little "cutting" and matching up the holes etc. :nofunny:, not super proud of that solution, but I am not spending double of what I gave for the saw on a OEM carb kit.

Our prices here is also what makes me think he did not break the fin and replaced the top cover, it would simply be way too expensive to do that, and finding used parts here is near impossible.
But it is all guess work.... :drinking:

and here is the piston, best I can do with my phone.
Intake side is smooth.

Exhaust side, some brown on it, no scratches etc. pretty smooth as well.

Attachments

• DSC_2270.JPG
    DSC_2270.JPG
    713.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_2272.JPG
    DSC_2272.JPG
    940.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_2273.JPG
    DSC_2273.JPG
    817.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_2275.JPG
    DSC_2275.JPG