Jonsereds 451E/EV fuel/oil mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

numnutz6383

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found what I think is a great deal on Craigslist last week, a one-owner, in working condition, recently rebuilt (~5 years ago), homeowner owned Jonsered 451EV for $50.
I picked up the saw today, haven't had the time to really inspect and clean it yet, but looks great for a 40 year old saw, especially for $50. Chain definitely needs some tensioning but it started right up and ran well, to my untrained ear.

I have a question about the proper fuel/oil mix for this saw, however. The gentleman who sold me the saw was the original owner and gave me several Trufuel cans of 50:1, said that's the ratio he's always run, and when I mentioned I read 25:1 is the manufacturer spec (as I read on http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...6bfe5f55ef68c8d188256b69007ea725?OpenDocument) he was perplexed. When I got home I did some googling and also found someone stating 32:1. The original manual the seller provided also doesn't mention the ratio (which is very strange, unless I'm completely missing it). Anyone have any idea about this?

To my second question. I bought this saw for two reasons, one is because it's a vintage Jonsereds, and two, it was $50 for a saw that i see as an opportunity to learn about two strokes, try to modify etc. With that said, what simple mods have people tried on this saw? Would this be a good candidate for a muffler mod?

In all seriousness, any modern synthetic oil rated for air cooled engines "should" be fine. Some good examples would be Echo Red Armor, VP full synthetic 2 stroke, Amsoil Saber and a few others I forgot. Try the search function on this forum and you will find plenty material to read along with many opinions!

Newer oils have gotten better to the point of less oil needed than the 25:1 spec of back then. Personally, I run and tune my machines to run 40-45:1. Just my preference and have had good luck in performance and reliability. I have NO science to back it up, but it works for me.

Of course YMMV....

In all seriousness, any modern synthetic oil rated for air cooled engines "should" be fine. Some good examples would be Echo Red Armor, VP full synthetic 2 stroke, Amsoil Saber and a few others I forgot. Try the search function on this forum and you will find plenty material to read along with many opinions!

Newer oils have gotten better to the point of less oil needed than the 25:1 spec of back then. Personally, I run and tune my machines to run 40-45:1. Just my preference and have had good luck in performance and reliability. I have NO science to back it up, but it works for me.

Of course YMMV....
Ok, well I have all three of the oils you mentioned in the shed. Forgive me for the complete newb question, but I've now seen tuning to a particular mix come up a bunch of times, that brings me to ask the question, is this just a carb tuning? Is there a tutorial I can read through to get an idea of how to do this properly?

Back